ide to sata adapter

Old April 5th 09, 03:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
trebor452

Default ide to sata adapter

hi i have just purchases a sata 500g hd my motherboard does not have a
sata connection so i purchased a NewLink SATA to IDE Adapter. the
problem i have is that there is no manual. i have plugged the ide side
into my secondry ide slot on the motherboard and powered up. that sata
drive is working but windows xp home does not see it what am i doing
wrong

Old April 6th 09, 05:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Deathunter

Is the IDE hard drive seen in the BIOS? The BIOS must be properly
configured to see that drive.
What makes you say that "Windows XP Home does not see it"? Are you
talking about the Windows CD or is this a secondary hard drive? You are
using a IDE Ribbon to connect the drive, so start out with nothing else
on that ribbon and assure you are using the end of the ribbon to plug
into the adapter. There is usually a 4 pin floppy power plug on the
adapter, assure that has power plugged into it.
If the drive is seen in the BIOS and not in "my computer" within
Windows XP, then go to control panel - Administrative tools - disk
management and assure the drive is seen in there, initialized and
assigned a drive letter.

ahhhh, I will take a breath now.... good luck!

Old April 6th 09, 02:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

trebor452 wrote:

hi i have just purchases a sata 500g hd my motherboard does not have a
sata connection so i purchased a NewLink SATA to IDE Adapter. the
problem i have is that there is no manual. i have plugged the ide side
into my secondry ide slot on the motherboard and powered up. that sata
drive is working but windows xp home does not see it what am i doing
wrong

Are you sure you bought an IDE(controller) to SATA(disk) adapter?
Most are IDE(disk) to SATA(controller) and will not work in the
other direction.

Arno

Old April 7th 09, 12:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
andy

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:35:21 -0500, trebor452
wrote:

hi i have just purchases a sata 500g hd my motherboard does not have a
sata connection so i purchased a NewLink SATA to IDE Adapter. the
problem i have is that there is no manual. i have plugged the ide side
into my secondry ide slot on the motherboard and powered up. that sata
drive is working but windows xp home does not see it what am i doing
wrong

Newlink seems to make two adapters:
SATA IDE adaptor (NL-SATAADAPT)
http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=6&prodID=232
that converts an IDE drive so that it can plug into an SATA connector
on the motherboard.

Bi-Directional SATA - IDE Adapter (NL-SATADUALADAPT)
http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=6&prodID=288
that looks like it can work both ways.
Old April 7th 09, 08:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Kikula

"trebor452" wrote in message

hi i have just purchases a sata 500g hd my motherboard does not have a
sata connection so i purchased a NewLink SATA to IDE Adapter. the
problem i have is that there is no manual. i have plugged the ide side
into my secondry ide slot on the motherboard and powered up. that sata
drive is working but windows xp home does not see it what am i doing
wrong

It's a new disk -
Right click "My computer" - Manage - Disk Management
Now do you see it?