500 GB WD My Book external H/D suddenly not wanting to fire up

Old April 7th 09, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
thanatoid

Default 500 GB WD My Book external H/D suddenly not wanting to fire up

muzician21 wrote in

oups.com:

Okay, extricated from the case and hooked it up with SATA
cables, it's working fine. Apparently the My Book
interface/switch died.

I sort of hate to say this, but didn't that sort of imply my
rather simple rule has again proved to be correct?

Now try to sell the external HD case for the $10 it /may/ be
worth and you'll be done.

;-)
Old April 7th 09, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

thanatoid wrote:
muzician21 wrote

Okay, extricated from the case and hooked it up with SATA cables,
it's working fine. Apparently the My Book interface/switch died.

I sort of hate to say this,

Liar.

but didn't that sort of imply my rather simple
rule has again proved to be correct?

Nope, because the alternatives die too, stupid.

Old April 7th 09, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
kony

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:51:21 +0100, "Centre Parting"
wrote:

If you download an OEM spec for a disk drive, there is
a temperature/humidity graph in it.

Yes, but that's for un-a/c'd conditions (under which, the majority will be
used).
In a/c'd conditions, it become irrelevant because the temp is kept low
enough that humidity is of no consequence to the cooling capacity of air.

Even if humidity is assumed to be a low, constant in their
study, things held as constants should have been mentioned.
Similarly, there should have been mention of power supply
failures and electrical surges, as these also pose risk to
powered parts. There should also have been mention made of
chassis /cooling design if all systems were not identical,
not just temperature of the drive which can vary per make
and model of drive and is not indicative of multiple
regions on a drive like the logic IC or motor controller.
Old April 7th 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 07:33:02 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote in
:

SNIP

Rod Speed FAQ:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch...t.internet.wir
eless/2006-07/msg00462.html

RodBot 2.5 is a Perl program designed to simulate the
UseNet posting style of the mental giant that is Rod Speed:
http://web.archive.org/web/200202070...://www.pennink
ilampi.net/henry/Perl/RodBot.html

You know EVERYTHING, don't you?

I am speechless.

Rod Speed is the last great polymath. The most that you and I and the
rest of us mere mortals can hope for is to learn a little about a lot,
or a lot about a little.

You are probably encountering him for the first time as an undesirable
consequence of the OP's crossposting. When you crosspost to
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage you run the risk of introducing Rod
Speed to an unsuspecting audience. It's a bit like bringing your
neighbour's dog poop to your friend's house on the sole of your shoe.

Most of the regulars have kill-filed the troll, but he still tries to
get through by nym shifting. Pathetic, really.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 7th 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 07:50:28 +0100, "Centre Parting"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Big installations aren't air-conditioned because of humidity.
They're a/c'd because that's the only way TO cool a room.
Humidity is purely incidental.

During the 1980s I was involved with one minicomputer installation
that had problems with a particular Control Data BK7 series disc
drive. After experiencing lots of static related issues (status
errors), the customer installed a humidifier to increase the humidity
to an acceptable level.

In other climates, such as Singapore, the high humidity promotes mould
growth on magnetic media, although I doubt that mould would get a
foothold on disc platters rotating at 7200 RPM. :-)

I found this interesting Samsung patent whose inventors claim that
"flying height drops significantly in humid conditions" and that this
can be remedied "by increasing the temperature of the air flowing
between a slider's air bearing surface and the rotating disk surface
it accesses".

Method and Apparatus Reducing Flying Height Drop in a Hard Disk Drive
Under Humid Conditions:
http://tinyurl.com/4s5brl
http://www.freshpatents.com/Method-a...0070297085.php

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 7th 09, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Centre Parting

wrote:

If you download an OEM spec for a disk drive, there is
a temperature/humidity graph in it.

Yes, but that's for un-a/c'd conditions (under which, the majority
will be used).
In a/c'd conditions, it become irrelevant because the temp is kept
low enough that humidity is of no consequence to the cooling
capacity of air.

Even if humidity is assumed to be a low, constant in their
study, things held as constants should have been mentioned.

Agreed.
But that has no bearing on the issue of humidity under a/c.

Similarly, there should have been mention of power supply
failures and electrical surges, as these also pose risk to
powered parts.

Indeed.

There should also have been mention made of
chassis /cooling design if all systems were not identical,
not just temperature of the drive which can vary per make
and model of drive and is not indicative of multiple
regions on a drive like the logic IC or motor controller.

As I said, it was hardly a scientific study.

Old April 7th 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
thanatoid

Franc Zabkar wrote in
:

SNIP

Most of the regulars have kill-filed the troll, but he
still tries to get through by nym shifting. Pathetic,
really.

Well, if the FAQ is correct, at least the poor thing has
something to amuse himself with. There is so much trolling
spamming and crap on the Usenet it makes little difference in
the final analysis, I think.
Old April 7th 09, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

wrote:

If you download an OEM spec for a disk drive, there is
a temperature/humidity graph in it.

Yes, but that's for un-a/c'd conditions (under which, the majority will be
used).
In a/c'd conditions, it become irrelevant because the temp is kept low
enough that humidity is of no consequence to the cooling capacity of air.

Even if humidity is assumed to be a low, constant in their
study, things held as constants should have been mentioned.
Similarly, there should have been mention of power supply
failures and electrical surges, as these also pose risk to
powered parts. There should also have been mention made of
chassis /cooling design if all systems were not identical,
not just temperature of the drive which can vary per make
and model of drive and is not indicative of multiple
regions on a drive like the logic IC or motor controller.

You are certainly right. But bad measurement set-up is pretty
common, unfortunately.

Arno