DUAL device "round" floppy drive cables

Old October 27th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels

Default DUAL device "round" floppy drive cables

Why would one need DUAL floppy cables?
Has anyone you know used these things?

http://svc.com/cables-floppy-round-c...ppy-cable.html

http://pctoys.com/floppycables.html

http://pctoys.com/840556017226.html

*TimDaniels*

Old October 27th 06, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels wrote

Why would one need DUAL floppy cables?

There's still a few that bother with a 5.25" floppy drive.

Has anyone you know used these things?

http://svc.com/cables-floppy-round-c...ppy-cable.html

http://pctoys.com/floppycables.html

http://pctoys.com/840556017226.html

No one I know is stupid enough to bother with round cables.

Old October 27th 06, 08:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marcel Overweel

"Rod Speed" schreef in bericht
Timothy Daniels wrote

Why would one need DUAL floppy cables?

There's still a few that bother with a 5.25" floppy drive.

Has anyone you know used these things?

http://svc.com/cables-floppy-round-c...ppy-cable.html

http://pctoys.com/floppycables.html

http://pctoys.com/840556017226.html

No one I know is stupid enough to bother with round cables.

It's better (or can be better) for the airflow inside the computer.

I've used a few a while ago.
Attaching five harddrives (of which three were IDE), an ide dvd burner and a
floppy drive
would make one big wall of cables betweed the front and back of the chassis,
airflow was
almost zero.
With all those round cables it's still a clutter but at least there was some
flow.

... so now you know one who was stupid enough ;-)

Biggest problem though: those round cables are not very flexible.
And getting a connector halfway on the cable is asking for trouble, too much
tension.
Therefore, those round cables use an Y configuration.

I agree with Timothy that two floppy drives in one system isn't commonly
used anymore.
Maybe one for a floppy and one for some old tape backup unit?
Don't know about pctoys.com but round cables with just one connector do
exist as well.

regards,
Marcel

Old October 27th 06, 10:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels

"Marcel Overweel" wrote:
...two floppy drives in one system isn't commonly
used anymore.

But with a Y-cable it seems that you'd only be able
to use one device at a time, so why have 2
floppy drives?

Maybe one for a floppy and one for some old tape
backup unit?

That sounds more plausible, but I could never afford
a tape backup unit so I don't know.

*TimDaniels*
Old October 27th 06, 10:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marcel Overweel

"Timothy Daniels" schreef in bericht
"Marcel Overweel" wrote:
...two floppy drives in one system isn't commonly
used anymore.

But with a Y-cable it seems that you'd only be able
to use one device at a time, so why have 2
floppy drives?

Good question, I've never used two floppy-like devices at the same computer
so can't say.
I thought both connectors would work at the same time.

Old October 27th 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Marcel Overweel wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Timothy Daniels wrote

Why would one need DUAL floppy cables?

There's still a few that bother with a 5.25" floppy drive.

Has anyone you know used these things?

http://svc.com/cables-floppy-round-c...ppy-cable.html
http://pctoys.com/floppycables.html

http://pctoys.com/840556017226.html

No one I know is stupid enough to bother with round cables.

It's better (or can be better) for the airflow inside the computer.

Anyone with a clue fixes that problem differently.

I've used a few a while ago.

More fool you.

Attaching five harddrives (of which three were IDE), an
ide dvd burner and a floppy drive would make one big
wall of cables betweed the front and back of the chassis,

Big deal when you dont need much airflow that way, and
its completely trivial to keep the flat cables out of the way.

airflow was almost zero.

Oh bull****.

With all those round cables it's still a
clutter but at least there was some flow.

Pity that they flout the ATA standard.

.. so now you know one who was stupid enough ;-)

Nope, I dont know you from a bar of soap, and dont want to either |-(

Biggest problem though: those round cables are
not very flexible. And getting a connector halfway
on the cable is asking for trouble, too much tension.

Therefore, those round cables use an Y configuration.

They have enough of a clue to go the sata route instead.

I agree with Timothy that two floppy drives in
one system isn't commonly used anymore.

He didnt say anything about commonly.

Maybe one for a floppy and one for some old tape backup unit?
Don't know about pctoys.com but round cables with just one
connector do exist as well.

Sure.

Old October 27th 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marcel Overweel

"Rod Speed" schreef in bericht
Marcel Overweel wrote
Rod Speed wrote

(snip)

It's better (or can be better) for the airflow inside the computer.

Anyone with a clue fixes that problem differently.

I've used a few a while ago.

More fool you.

Attaching five harddrives (of which three were IDE), an
ide dvd burner and a floppy drive would make one big
wall of cables betweed the front and back of the chassis,

Big deal when you dont need much airflow that way, and
its completely trivial to keep the flat cables out of the way.

airflow was almost zero.

Oh bull****.

Jeez, just trying to give some thoughts, didn't now you would take it as a
personal harassment...

With all those round cables it's still a
clutter but at least there was some flow.

Pity that they flout the ATA standard.

.. so now you know one who was stupid enough ;-)

Nope, I dont know you from a bar of soap, and dont want to either |-(

If this is the best of your conversational abilities... same here dude!

(snip)

Old October 27th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marcel Overweel

And don't start about a wet paper bag!

Old October 27th 06, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels

"Marcel Overweel" wrote:
And don't start about a wet paper bag!

C'mon, ya gotta give Roddy some slack.
He was conceived and born in a wet paper bag.
And he just now got out! :-)

*TimDaniels*
Old October 27th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

The round floppy cables I use just have ties
and individual wires. Very nice and out of
the way. Those PlayToys look stressed to
me with all that covering.
I actually know a lady, daughters ballet
teacher, who still uses her 386 for billing
records. She has 2 floppies .. one for DOS,
and one for her record book. No hard drive.
Her 14 inch monitor still works, and so does
her Panasonic dot matrix printer. She
uses the DOS editor exclusively. She turns
her computer on once a month to type in
her new students names, addresses, and
where she can reach MOM if somebody
forgets to pick up their kid. And she
puts an X under Paid Up, and prints it off.
Now HERE is somebody who knows how
to use a computer ! Oh, and she has a dust
cover for the entire rig .. otherwise it just
looks too "busy".

johns