NewEgg (lucky Yanks!) Pentium 4 3.2GHz = $283

Old February 3rd 04, 02:28 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default NewEgg (lucky Yanks!) Pentium 4 3.2GHz = $283

Hi,
I live in U.K but have recently started to look at NewEgg for an idea of
what you yankies pay. I'm suprised how much cheaper all your stuff is:

INTEL P4 3.2GHz - $283 - (£155 u.k)
http://tinyurl.com/2nog3

INTEL P4 3.4GHz - $419
http://tinyurl.com/287vk

Just in case anyone should be in the market for a CPU
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 3rd 04, 04:59 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

www.dabs.com in the UK have the P4-2.8-533 Retail HSF 3yr for
just 135inc vat which is surprisingly cheap. Ok, it's not an 800-bus,
but price wise it's very good - fast is only fast for few months anyway.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Old February 3rd 04, 10:48 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

No - I use multiple machines & O/S, so I can simply flick between.
o PC1 C1.2 + PC2-3-4 C1.7 + Laptop-C2.2 as thin-client (C = Cel)
o Seats are more important to me than absolute speed

Why Cel-1.7?
o Cheap, unpopular but adequate under Suse/Win2k-Pro
o Easy upgrade path to P4-3.06-533-HT someday
---- Cel-1.7 stops depreciating (but saleable), P4 drops continually
---- P4-2.8-533-HT once 288ukp now 135ukp for brand new with HSF

Summer-2005 may see the 2.8-533-HT down to 55-85ukp 2nd-hand.
The Cel1.7 will still be saleable at 15-20ukp, so small u/g cost per PC.

This is a short-cycle u/g, the long-cycle still involves m/b, RAM, HD etc.
That will probably be Pentium-T, DDR2, S-ATA-2 7200rpm-2.5", etc.

Like books, three approaches to IT:
o Buy every book you need until the wall collapses
---- large sunk cost forever, big hole in floor
o Buy every book you need, but sell them after use to buy the next book
---- smaller sunk cost continually recycled
o Library loan every book you need
---- 1/10th-book-price cost every time, not recycled, slower

Comes down to timing.

Amusingly, I notice laptops are hitting the commodity issue in UK:
o Base Summer-Special Dell is 549ukp
---- Warranty is 1yr, not 3yr
---- Extended Warranty is 235ukp inc VAT (!)
o Sell that base spec at 1yr gets you 349-399ukp
o Buy replacement base spec costs you 150-200ukp
---- which gets you another 1yr warranty & faster processor

Desktops have been in this situation for some time, laptops now entering it.
Projectors conversely are the least likely to do this kind of thing re the sharp
delineation between SVGA/home pricing & XGA/lumens pricing re buyers.

For laptops, it's why I moved from I7k sold at 250ukp to 1100c bought at 549ukp.
The next cost was 300ukp, for new machine, 1yr warranty, when the old machine
was 3yrs old & I'd got away with not buying the 3yr warranty at 235ukp. In delaying
that warranty purchase I essentially bought a new laptop for about 65ukp more.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...ry/panaflo.htm (Direct)

Old February 4th 04, 02:15 AM
Immuno

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,
I live in U.K but have recently started to look at NewEgg for an idea of
what you yankies pay. I'm suprised how much cheaper all your stuff is:

INTEL P4 3.2GHz - $283 - (£155 u.k)
http://tinyurl.com/2nog3

Scan have them at 174 quid (plus VAT) - [no VAT in the US tho']

Pete

Old February 4th 04, 06:43 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Scan have them at 174 quid (plus VAT) - [no VAT in the US tho']

Actually USA is progressively increasing sales tax across the board,
many are already above 8% and I think one is at 11-12% (NY?).
California may end up as one of the highest sales tax states as the
demographics change, the easy-$ from silicon valley fades and huge
loss of options-package-tax is lost forever as jobs move ex-USA.

Notice a lot of retailers aren't saying if Northwood or Prescott CPUs,
looks like the former at some increasingly good prices too.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

Old February 4th 04, 08:44 PM
Dashi

I think he means no tax if mail ordering from out of state unless the
business has a store in the state that you are ordering from.

Old February 4th 04, 11:35 PM
Arthur Hagen

Dashi wrote:
I think he means no tax if mail ordering from out of state unless the
business has a store in the state that you are ordering from.

True, there's no sales tax across borders, BUT most states have something
called *use tax* on items purchased outside the state. You have to pay the
use tax to the state you're in, and it most often equals the sales tax.
It's basically a loop hole for the state revenue services to circumvent the
constitutional prohibition on taxation of interstate commerce, but it's
nevertheless something you have to pay. In some states, you pay this along
with your yearly tax declaration, and in some states you have to obtain and
fill out a special form. Ignorance of the use tax is no excuse if you get
flagged for tax audit, and recently, many states are coming down hard on
just internet purchases and failure to pay use tax.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old February 5th 04, 12:21 AM
Immuno

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message
Dashi wrote:
[...]

Actually, although I knew that various States had different sales-tax
rates - I hadn't noticed that they had crept so high.

However, if we in the UK buy from outside the UK/EU we still get stung for
VAT if the purchase is over GBP28 (~USD50). So we still end-up having to pay
the 17.5% VAT... PLUS another 3% - presumably to cover them calculating how
much the tax ought to be! (

Pete

Old February 5th 04, 12:39 AM
Dorothy Bradbury

Can be more like 27-29% for that outside the UK/EU.
Indirect taxation is going to be a big feature going forward.

For example, the UK is planning on ending council-tax:
o It is a local tax based on house valuation
o House valuation which has rocketed 20-22%/yr nat-avg
Instead it's replaced by a "fairer" local-income-tax:
o Increasingly few people can afford to buy
o So forces multiple-occupancy = division of asset-based tax

As many in UK/EU have found the EU has tightened up Internet
transaction taxation re VAT - on EBay & such like. Those who
used Ireland as a base for tax reasons now find 20% VAT.

As yet they are still trying to come up with a means to charge,
I mean tax, more effectively the Internet. It will come.
--
Dorothy Bradbury