Disk read error occurred

Old April 14th 09, 10:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
angelwitch

Default Disk read error occurred

Is the message I get when I turn on computer it says to restart comp.
and when I do it repeats message. The first time I turned on comp it
read Chkdsc is verifying indexes correcting error in index $SDH for
file 9 insuff disc space to correct errors correcting error in index
$S11 for file 9 insuff disk space to correct errors. Help! I'm new
to group nice to meet y'all.
Old April 15th 09, 05:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

angelwitch wrote

Is the message I get when I turn on computer it says
to restart comp. and when I do it repeats message.

The hard drive subsystem had died or is dying.

The first time I turned on comp it read Chkdsc is verifying
indexes correcting error in index $SDH for file 9 insuff
disc space to correct errors correcting error in index
$S11 for file 9 insuff disk space to correct errors.

The drive is either too full to chkdsk or is pretty dead.

Help!

Try replacing the hard drive. Hope you have it properly backed up.

Old April 15th 09, 09:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

angelwitch wrote:
Is the message I get when I turn on computer it says to restart comp.
and when I do it repeats message. The first time I turned on comp it
read Chkdsc is verifying indexes correcting error in index $SDH for
file 9 insuff disc space to correct errors correcting error in index
$S11 for file 9 insuff disk space to correct errors. Help! I'm new
to group nice to meet y'all.

Basically they're suggesting that you delete some unneeded files to free
up space on the disk and then rerun "chkdsk /f" on that disk until it
works. They don't mention how much space you need. But chances are that
you will probably need as much space as needed to completely copy the
file being fixed. So if the file with the problem is 1 GB in size, then
you'll need at least 1 GB of free space.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc975177.aspx

Yousuf Khan
Old April 15th 09, 11:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Yousuf Khan wrote:
angelwitch wrote:
Is the message I get when I turn on computer it says to restart comp.
and when I do it repeats message. The first time I turned on comp it
read Chkdsc is verifying indexes correcting error in index $SDH for
file 9 insuff disc space to correct errors correcting error in index
$S11 for file 9 insuff disk space to correct errors. Help! I'm new
to group nice to meet y'all.

Basically they're suggesting that you delete some unneeded files to
free up space on the disk and then rerun "chkdsk /f" on that disk
until it works. They don't mention how much space you need. But
chances are that you will probably need as much space as needed to
completely copy the file being fixed. So if the file with the problem
is 1 GB in size, then you'll need at least 1 GB of free space.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc975177.aspx

Or the drive could be so close to death that chkdsk
is getting confused about the free space on that drive.

Old April 17th 09, 05:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
YKhan

On Apr 15, 6:34*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Or the drive could be so close to death that chkdsk
is getting confused about the free space on that drive.

Wouldn't there be a SMART warning if it was that bad?

Yousuf Khan
Old April 17th 09, 10:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

YKhan wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Or the drive could be so close to death that chkdsk
is getting confused about the free space on that drive.

Wouldn't there be a SMART warning if it was that bad?

Not if he has got that turned off, or if the bad sector is in the FAT.

Old April 18th 09, 04:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

YKhan wrote:
On Apr 15, 6:34?pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Or the drive could be so close to death that chkdsk
is getting confused about the free space on that drive.

Wouldn't there be a SMART warning if it was that bad?

A SMART warning requires a) a SMART tool, whoch Microsoft does
not have and b) a failed SMART status. The sacoen may not be present
even on a dying drive due to over-optimistic thresholds.

Arno