new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150

Old August 8th 17, 04:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150

Has anyone tried the new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150 ? I have a WD
1 TB Caviar Black at home but I am ready for SSD speed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQ9LYV/

Lynn
Old August 8th 17, 05:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Has anyone tried the new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150 ? I have a WD
1 TB Caviar Black at home but I am ready for SSD speed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQ9LYV/

I got an Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical SSD for $88
over a year ago. Twice the size was twice the price but then I have
less than half of the 256 GB capacity consumed with OS+apps+someData.
Must've been a sale going on back then because nowadays Newegg want $104
for the same SSD. For a 500 GB SSD (same brand and type), today's price
at Newegg is $175. Newegg doesn't have the rock-bottom price but
they're pretty good, a known seller, and very good support and return
policies.

I didn't bother to delve into how WD makes that drive you mentioned.
Specs say 1.75M hours for MTBF. The Samsung lists 2M for MTBF. Newegg
lists the Samsung 2TB SSD for $689 so pricing is pretty much linear: 4
times the capacity at a wee bit under 4 times the price.

Until I saw benchmarks pitting the WD 500 GB SSD against the Samsung
500GB SSD, I wouldn't care about a $25 price difference. From some
simple compares, the Samsung is still significantly faster. Claimed
specs are one thing. That's marketing. Actual (measured) specs are
better.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../m191455vs2977
(for the 250GB SSDs from WD and Samsung)

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../m192687vs2977
(for the 500GB SSDs from WD and Samsung)

Something else to consider: the warranty period. The WD SSDs have a
3-year warranty. The Samsung SSDs have 5 years.
Old August 8th 17, 08:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Has anyone tried the new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150 ? I have a WD
1 TB Caviar Black at home but I am ready for SSD speed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQ9LYV/

Storage Review: "underwhelming performance and warranty".

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_blue_ssd_review_1tb

The SSD line currently favored by reviewers and consumers seems to be
the Samsung 850.

Old August 11th 17, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 8/7/2017 11:53 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

The price that I see on the Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB is $175:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...dp/B00OBRE5UE/

The WD Black 500 GB M.2 seems to have way better specs for $199.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-512GB-P...dp/B01MR4VOBZ/

I need to check my pc to see if it can take the M.2 board.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn

Old August 11th 17, 01:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

I'd still hunt around for benchmarks to see how the M.2 drives perform.
Written specs are so off that I've come to see them as lies. You don't
get the speed they claim with is often a burst speed instead of
sustained. There is just way too much fudging going on with the claimed
specifications. Sometimes you can find a benchmark that lists a whole
bunch of similar devices so you can see where the one you intend to buy
will appear compared to the others.
Old August 13th 17, 01:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , VanguardLH
escribió:

I'd still hunt around for benchmarks to see how the M.2 drives perform.

NVMe M.2 drives will way, way outperform SATA. That's because they're
directly connected to PCIe lanes instead of having to navigate the SATA
bottleneck and the backhaul to the northbridge/CPU.

What you have to watch for is that there exist SATA drives in the M.2
form factor. These will perform no better than a drive attached to
SATA. You need to ensure the M.2 drive you're buying is NVMe.

Finally, to boot from an NVMe drive requires BIOS and OS support.

Sometimes you can find a benchmark that lists a whole
bunch of similar devices so you can see where the one you intend to buy
will appear compared to the others.

https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

Use as a guideline, not as gospel.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West