Help: PC partially boots into bios: Asus P6X58D-E

Old May 8th 16, 08:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Sam

Default Help: PC partially boots into bios: Asus P6X58D-E

I have an older Asus Model P6X58D-E mobo.

Over the last few weeks, the PC would randomly lock up when doing normal things eg. browsing, working etc.

Sometimes it would be boot properly (go through the normal black bios text screen) other times I would have to reset it several times by pressing the reset or do a hard reset and hold it for 10 seconds. Sometimes, the boot process would stop part way like just before the USB controllers prompt other times before the CD rom prompt.

Just today it locked up again and now I can't boot at all. I see the PC tower's hard drive buttons working but not display.

I am thinking...rather hoping this might be the fault of the video card? However, I thought you can still boot into the bios without having a video card. Is that not correct?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting would be appreciated. I don't want to ditch this mobo, RAM, and CPU if I can help it.

Thanks
Old May 9th 16, 12:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 05/08/2016 03:11 PM, Sam wrote:

[...]

Any beeps as it tries to boot? I think there's a fairly standard (or
maybe it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) "code": the pattern
of beeps indicates where the problem lies.

How are you going to tell how far the boot process went if you don't
have a working video card?

What you could try is clearing the CMOS, which is exceptionally easy on
that motherboard: press the little button that is situated on the back
panel between the keyboard and mouse connectors and the blue USB3
connectors.

It's also possible that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced,

You can download the manual he

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...D-E_manual.zip

Perce

Old May 9th 16, 04:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Sam wrote

I have an older Asus Model P6X58D-E mobo.

Over the last few weeks, the PC would randomly lock up
when doing normal things eg. browsing, working etc.

Is the hard drive activity led on continuously when that happens ?

Sometimes it would be boot properly (go through the
normal black bios text screen) other times I would have
to reset it several times by pressing the reset or do a hard
reset and hold it for 10 seconds. Sometimes, the boot
process would stop part way like just before the USB
controllers prompt other times before the CD rom prompt.

Which also suggests that the problem might just be the
boot drive and repeated retrys on reading sometimes
works and sometimes doesn't and that it can get further
thru the boot phase at some times than others.

Just today it locked up again and now I can't boot at all.

Which might well be because the boot drive is even worse now.

I see the PC tower's hard drive buttons

Not clear what you mean by that, Same that in more detail.

working but not display.

I am thinking...rather hoping this might be the fault of the video card?

Unlikely, That wouldn't normally see the boot
phase stall at different points in the boot phase.

However, I thought you can still boot into the bios
without having a video card. Is that not correct?

Yes, it should do but not all motherboard will do that now.
Certainly worth trying with no video card if it has a separate
video card, if it is refusing to boot without one, you should get
some beep code from the speaker if you have one connected.

The manual doesn't say what happens if it can't see a VGA card,
but sort of implies that it stalls if it can't with a beep code.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

What happens if you hold the DEL key down while booting ?
That should get you into the bios settings and if it allows that
to happen, that does imply that the video card is still fine now
and that the problem is with the boot phase and not just death
of the video card now.

Obviously you should check that the boot drive is connected
properly cables wise.

I'd try the boot drive in another system or in a hard drive docking
station if your can do that easily and see if it appears to be working
properly. You wont likely be able to boot from it in the other system.

Or try a boot from something else like an optical drive
or from a bootable linux live distro on a USB drive etc.

If you can boot a linux live distro, you can get a SMART
report on the normal boot drive. Post that here, they can
be hard to interpret.

It could just be that the power supply is failing. If you can
get into the bios now, it shows the power supply voltages.

I don't want to ditch this mobo, RAM, and CPU if I can help it.

Old May 9th 16, 11:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Simo

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Sam wrote

[...]

Worth temporarily removing any non essential stuff from
the system to see if that is what is causing the problem too.