A64: low-latency or fast-speed for RAM?

Old October 7th 05, 09:19 PM

Default A64: low-latency or fast-speed for RAM?

I'm looking at an A64 3200+ venice on an Abit AN8 Ultra. I'd like to
overclock to some degree, probably with air.

Would I be better off with a very-low-latency PC3200 RAM or should I
spring for something higher, like PC4400?

I get the impression from reading that I can use a divider to keep the
lower-speed ram happy while still OC'ing the cpu?

The system will be for gaming.

TIA,
Gerald

Old October 7th 05, 11:09 PM
Ed Light

You can use plain old pc3200 instead of low latency if you don't mind losing
5% on performance.

Yes, as you raise the clock, you lower the memory speed setting and it comes
back up with the clock.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old October 8th 05, 12:39 PM
Flow

You have the correct impression.
Now I opted for low latency ram on my k8n neo4 ultra board.
2,2,2,5 and it runs very well.Overclocking at those latencies I get around
6600 sisoft sandra memscore.
This is with 222fsb on the memory at those latencies at 2.85volt.
And i can relax the latencies to gain higher fsb on the memory.
As I understand it the difference is with high speed ram you have the
advantage with single calculations,but with multiple ones the low latency is
better.
It's like driving on the interstate or a crowded city.

schreef in bericht
ups.com...