A7M266-D with a Athlon XP 3000+

Old October 7th 05, 07:26 PM
Stefan

Default A7M266-D with a Athlon XP 3000+

Hello!

A risky question:

Is there a realistic chance in using an Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB333) in a ASUS
A7M266-D Board? It is a SMP/Dual processor board.

Since it is a little complicated for me to get my hands on a real FSB266
Athlon XP 2800+ , I am thinking of using a Barton FSB333. A technician
told me it was unlikely to function since the chipset wouldn't
understand... ( a lower FSB would just let the CPU run slower?!? - not my
main concern... )

Has anybody of You made any experience within this subject? I would be
glad to hear from You! Also a good link would do the job! (Google is
ALREADY my friend ;-)

(I know that using an XP instead of an MP could cause trouble... but
that's how far I want to go...!)

Greetings, Stefan
Old October 7th 05, 07:50 PM
Beemer Biker

"Stefan" wrote in message
news
Hello!

A risky question:

Is there a realistic chance in using an Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB333) in a ASUS
A7M266-D Board? It is a SMP/Dual processor board.

Since it is a little complicated for me to get my hands on a real FSB266
Athlon XP 2800+ , I am thinking of using a Barton FSB333. A technician
told me it was unlikely to function since the chipset wouldn't
understand... ( a lower FSB would just let the CPU run slower?!? - not my
main concern... )

Use an xp-m (mobile) chip. They are designed for 266 and are barton core.
here are some reviews
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...82E16819103436
i am running a pair of 2500 mobiles in my a7m266-d. they boot at a slower
speed, but crystalcpu (win2k & xp only) can set the speed to the full 2500.
If running linux I do not know of any program that can set the speed up so
those mobiles are not a solution for linux. My FSB is stuck at 266 and my
motherboard rev is 103

Has anybody of You made any experience within this subject? I would be
glad to hear from You! Also a good link would do the job! (Google is
ALREADY my friend ;-)

(I know that using an XP instead of an MP could cause trouble... but
that's how far I want to go...!)

Greetings, Stefan

the a7m266-d bios can be told to ignore XP (ie: treat as MP) but your 3000
speed chip will not run at 333, only 266 so i think the mobile cpu is the
best way to go.

Beemer Biker
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

Old October 7th 05, 09:33 PM
Stefan

Hello and thanks for answering...!

Use an xp-m (mobile) chip. They are designed for 266 and are barton
core.
here are some reviews
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...82E16819103436
i am running a pair of 2500 mobiles in my a7m266-d. they boot at a
slower
speed, but crystalcpu (win2k & xp only) can set the speed to the full
2500.

Well, I am intending to use the system with Linux, indeed. Therefor a
Frequency changing Win32 application won't do a job for me :-(

If running linux I do not know of any program that can set the speed up
so
those mobiles are not a solution for linux. My FSB is stuck at 266 and my
motherboard rev is 103

I see, so this is a thing I have to think about/take care of.

the a7m266-d bios can be told to ignore XP (ie: treat as MP) but your
3000
speed chip will not run at 333, only 266 so i think the mobile cpu is the
best way to go.

Well, this is what I am hoping - somehow ;-) A technician at my local PC
store told me the ASUS A7M266-D would not tolerate the FSB333 CPU because
of the chipset itself... not because of the FSB ((which could
(theoretically?) be software modified.))

Greetings, Stefan
Old October 7th 05, 10:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:33:09 +0200, Stefan wrote:

Use an xp-m (mobile) chip. They are designed for 266 and are barton
core. here are some reviews
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...82E16819103436
i am running a pair of 2500 mobiles in my a7m266-d. they boot at a
slower speed, but crystalcpu (win2k & xp only) can set the speed to the
full 2500.

Well, I am intending to use the system with Linux, indeed. Therefor a
Frequency changing Win32 application won't do a job for me :-(

For XP-M with Linux.

ttp://fab51.com/cpu/tips/linux_k7-mcf.html

You can also mod the cpu to an XP-M or MP-M.:-)