If you have XP and Windows Update set to 'automatic'...

Old August 11th 04, 05:49 PM
S.Lewis

Default If you have XP and Windows Update set to 'automatic'...

.....look for XP SP2 to be coming down very soon.

In sheer size, it's pretty much a beast even 'downloading in the
background'.

Stew

Old August 11th 04, 06:29 PM
Ted Zieglar aka \Rocky\

My inner geek wants SP 2 *now*...but my rational self says "wait until
September."
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

.. .

Old August 11th 04, 06:57 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" wrote in message
. ..
My inner geek wants SP 2 *now*...but my rational self says "wait until
September."

I'm running the released version of XPSP2 and its been fine so far. It
turns on the Firewall by default and it turns off Windows Messenger. Both
good things for the average home user but useless for those of us who deal
with corporate nets with perimeter firewalls and the need to broadcast
network events via Net Send. Although I haven't read the administrative
deployment help files yet I'm sure there are ways to install SP2 with things
like the Firewall disabled. Short of that I've found nothing abnormal. We
use primarily business apps and software dev tools on our desktops.

I haven't been running it long enough to comment on stability or
performance. I can say that I haven't noticed any decline.

I can tell you that the wireless changes are great. My laptop constantly
thought it was offline before the update. Now it's never offline so there's
no need for constant synchronizations. There are other wireless
enhancements but I still don't see a paraphrase feature for WEP keys.

--

Rob

Old August 11th 04, 07:18 PM
S.Lewis

"John" wrote in message
How sooon is "very soon?"

snip

At least for the moment, it appears MS wants to 'cascade' the downloads via
'automatic updates', as the download doesn't appear via "Windows Update"
scan this morning (at least for me).

I've been running SP RC1 and then RC2 for the last 90 days or so, and my
update grabbed the final release this morning. I backed everything up
before installing it.. The install while slow, was uneventful.

You can choose to turn off the XP firewall and auto updates if desired
during the install. It's just that the user is forced to interact/choose
the status of those, as well as the status of any AV program installed on
the machine.

You can download the "RTM/'released to manufacturing" version now at
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-177.shtml for anyone who's
feeling froggy. It's only 266mb.....

Stew

Old August 11th 04, 07:29 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"John" wrote in message
How sooon is "very soon?"

snip

You can choose to turn off the XP firewall and auto updates if desired
during the install. It's just that the user is forced to interact/choose
the status of those, as well as the status of any AV program installed on
the machine.

This is true but when you have 100 or so desktops to do you certainly don't
want that sit if front of each and tell it to disable the firewall. ;-)

Well I'm off to read the deployment help files and find the new Group Policy
settings.

--

Rob

Old August 11th 04, 07:40 PM
S.Lewis

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"John" wrote in message
How sooon is "very soon?"

snip

You can choose to turn off the XP firewall and auto updates if desired
during the install. It's just that the user is forced to interact/choose
the status of those, as well as the status of any AV program installed on
the machine.

This is true but when you have 100 or so desktops to do you certainly
don't want that sit if front of each and tell it to disable the firewall.
;-)

Well I'm off to read the deployment help files and find the new Group
Policy settings.

--

Rob

Rob,

Stop showing off, man. Remote management is completely over-rated

Stew

Old August 11th 04, 07:53 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"John" wrote in message
How sooon is "very soon?"

snip

You can choose to turn off the XP firewall and auto updates if desired
during the install. It's just that the user is forced to
interact/choose the status of those, as well as the status of any AV
program installed on the machine.

This is true but when you have 100 or so desktops to do you certainly
don't want that sit if front of each and tell it to disable the firewall.
;-)

Well I'm off to read the deployment help files and find the new Group
Policy settings.

--

Rob

Rob,

Stop showing off, man. Remote management is completely over-rated

Remote management is a god send and XPSP2 deployment just so happens to be
what I'm working on today other wise I most likely wouldn't even mention it.
;-)

--

Rob

Old August 11th 04, 08:53 PM
S.Lewis

"WSZsr" wrote in message
m...
It won't show up in Windows update until Aug 16th. The full download is
available now.

snip

FWIW, the linked RTM download above is identical to the one I pulled down
from "WUpdate" this AM, according to start/run/ 'winver'.

Stew