M2N-SLI Vista Upgrade Q

Old December 29th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Arthur Shapiro

Default M2N-SLI Vista Upgrade Q

I'm sitting here with a copy of Vista Ultimate in my hot little hands, more
apprehensive than usual when upgrading operating systems.

The patient is an XP-Pro machine with a dual Sata Raid-0 configuration and
dual 7800 GTX video cards. What is most intimidating is that the Vista
Upgrade Advisor is reporting that compatibility information is not known for
various of the Nvidia components.

I suspect some folks here have tackled the upgrade on similar machines. Can
anyone share some words of wisdom?

Art

Old December 30th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
I'm sitting here with a copy of Vista Ultimate in my hot little hands,

more
apprehensive than usual when upgrading operating systems.

The patient is an XP-Pro machine with a dual Sata Raid-0 configuration and
dual 7800 GTX video cards. What is most intimidating is that the Vista
Upgrade Advisor is reporting that compatibility information is not known

for
various of the Nvidia components.

I suspect some folks here have tackled the upgrade on similar machines.

Can
anyone share some words of wisdom?

Art

Hard drives are dirt cheap. Buy another one and install Vista on that. When
you discover that you don't like Vista you only have to change drives. It
never hurts to have a spare drive on hand anyhow.

Old December 30th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Lewis

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:21:16 GMT, "Venom" wrote:

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
I'm sitting here with a copy of Vista Ultimate in my hot little hands,

more
apprehensive than usual when upgrading operating systems.

The patient is an XP-Pro machine with a dual Sata Raid-0 configuration and
dual 7800 GTX video cards. What is most intimidating is that the Vista
Upgrade Advisor is reporting that compatibility information is not known

for
various of the Nvidia components.

I suspect some folks here have tackled the upgrade on similar machines.

Can
anyone share some words of wisdom?

Art

Hard drives are dirt cheap. Buy another one and install Vista on that. When
you discover that you don't like Vista you only have to change drives. It
never hurts to have a spare drive on hand anyhow.

Excellent idea, especially in these early days when the expected
deluge of Microsoft OS fixes has not yet started. How come the OP has
a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate anyway? The final retail release has
not yet occurred, iirc....

John Lewis

Old December 30th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Angry American

John Lewis wrote:
[...]

For MSDN and Technet subscribers it has...

Dan

Old December 31st 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , (John

Lewis) wrote:

Excellent idea, especially in these early days when the expected
deluge of Microsoft OS fixes has not yet started. How come the OP has
a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate anyway

The OP is in the industry.

I'm not wild about adding another drive right now, as it would have to be

traditional IDE drive (unless I actually pull the existing drives), and

I've
heard some significant problems mixing SATA and PATA. But that's why I

posted
- if that's the best solution, it can be accomodated.

Art

I made that suggestion simply because a few of us in this area wanted to see
what Vista/Palladium was all about and a beta copy is not worth putting on
your main machine so the easiest way out was the second hard drive. Then RC1
arrived and that replaced the earlier beta release on the spare hard drive.
We just found it to be the easiest way around it. I should add that none of
us use SATA drives either so it is just a matter of swapping two cables.
None of us will be switching to Vista as our permanent daily OS any time in
the near future. I suppose it doesn't help build confidence in the OS that
Microsoft shares have dropped with the release of Vista either.

Old December 31st 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

I have XP and Vista in a dual boot configuration using 2 SATA
drives...........I have run this way since RC1 and am now on RC2 build
5744on a cheap Asrock socket 939 Nvidea Chipset mobo with an Opteron 148
chip and 2gig of DDR Ram.
I have used Vista for Video transfers to DVD,Audio recording,Video editing
etc etc.
Yes I have run into a few problems but none of them had to do with Vista
being on a SATA drive
I am actually looking forward to the final release!!
peter

Old December 31st 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

as an addon
The problems that you are concerned about showed up when I ran the upgrade
advisor as well....but like I said it is runnung without problems....but
then again I am not running a Raid Array and I believe that is where most of
the Nvidea Problems show up accoding to:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nvid...rce3-vf59.html

peter

"peter" wrote in message
I have XP and Vista in a dual boot configuration using 2 SATA
drives...........I have run this way since RC1 and am now on RC2 build
5744on a cheap Asrock socket 939 Nvidea Chipset mobo with an Opteron 148
chip and 2gig of DDR Ram.
I have used Vista for Video transfers to DVD,Audio recording,Video editing
etc etc.
Yes I have run into a few problems but none of them had to do with Vista
being on a SATA drive
I am actually looking forward to the final release!!
peter
"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article ,
(John Lewis) wrote:

Excellent idea, especially in these early days when the expected
deluge of Microsoft OS fixes has not yet started. How come the OP has
a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate anyway

The OP is in the industry.

I'm not wild about adding another drive right now, as it would have to be
traditional IDE drive (unless I actually pull the existing drives), and
I've
heard some significant problems mixing SATA and PATA. But that's why I
posted
- if that's the best solution, it can be accomodated.

Art

vista update question richard Dell Computers 34 December 22nd 06 02:24 PM
Vista and Dell Reinstall CD Marcus Overclocking 12 December 6th 06 02:35 AM
Vista and Dell Reinstall CD Marcus Homebuilt PC's 12 December 6th 06 02:35 AM
Vista Keith Dell Computers 14 November 22nd 06 07:44 PM
Vista, or XP? Evert Homebuilt PC's 11 November 3rd 06 04:35 AM