Replicating a Netware Server

Old September 17th 03, 06:51 AM
Faeandar

Default Replicating a Netware Server

Sorry for late reply, no news server for a while.

I'm not a Netware admin either so I can't say for certain. I do know
that the NWA's I worked with replicated all remote server data to a
central server and backed that up.

~F

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 06:38:31 GMT, "J&J"
wrote:

What did you use in Novel to do this? I'm not a netware admin, but my group
is looking to do this in the near future.

thanks
Faeandar wrote in message
.. .
Umm, Netware will do this at the file system level. Forget about
doing it in hardware or a vendor software suite unless you have money
to burn.

We did exactly what you are looking to do with nothing more than
Netware and some disk, jbod in some cases.

~F

On 14 Aug 2003 08:36:05 -0700, (richard
rhodes) wrote:

We have some very large Netware servers at several remote sites. I am
looking for a way to create a remote copy/mirror/replica of these
servers at a central site. The idea would be that the central site
would provide fast access to the user files if the primary server dies
or is hit by a disaster, and, that backups could run against the
copy/mirror/replica.

The issues:

- These are remote sites with good/excellant network connectivity back
to the central site, but not anywhere near enough to do a sync mirror.

- While the servers are big (some at 200-300gb), the actual write
rate is low - less than 1-2% per day.

- The servers contain all kinds of "stuff" - lots of little files.

- The copy/mirror/replica can be as much as 24hr behind the primary -
basically the same recoverability as once a day backups.

- Currently all the Netware servers run on direct attach drives
(scsi), but we will be moving them to a SAN based disk subsystem in
the near future. What kind of disk system has not been determined
yet.

I guess what I'm looking for is a disk subsystem that could do async
mirroring, or, a software solution that can do file replication. I
know of software solutions for Windows servers to do this kind of
task, but this is Netware.

Any thoughts/comments would be appriciated!!

Richard Rhodes

Old September 25th 03, 06:20 PM
luantx

Richard and all,
Have you look at the innovative and awrd winning VPSN product? More
info at http://www.webofficenow.com/solutions-backup.html
This may be a simple and cost effective solution for you.

Wish you the best,
Luan

wrote:

What did you use in Novel to do this? I'm not a netware admin, but my group
is looking to do this in the near future.

thanks
.. .