Dell 8400 -- noise ?

Old November 16th 04, 04:10 PM
RobertB.

Default Dell 8400 -- noise ?

I'm contemplating buying a new 8400 and was wondering about noise. Dell
doesn't give specs on sound output but I would like a machine that is at
least as quiet as my iMac, which is to say nearly inaudible. How do the
8400s rate? I would not get the fastest CPU, by the way. Also, does
anyone know if the video cards Dell uses (the two lower priced cards the
X300 and X800) have a heat sink or a fan on them, since that can
contribute to noise.

robert
Old November 17th 04, 08:34 AM
Henning

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:10:37 -0500, "RobertB." wrote:

I'm contemplating buying a new 8400 and was wondering about noise. Dell
doesn't give specs on sound output but I would like a machine that is at
least as quiet as my iMac, which is to say nearly inaudible. How do the
8400s rate? I would not get the fastest CPU, by the way. Also, does
anyone know if the video cards Dell uses (the two lower priced cards the
X300 and X800) have a heat sink or a fan on them, since that can
contribute to noise.

Broken heatsink - support should be aware of the problem.

Old December 12th 04, 09:35 PM
Jean-Luc Brouillet

My 8400 is very quiet. It is not "nearly inaudible", but much quieter than
any PC I've owned. I have a high-end 8400 (two drives, top video-card), so I
would expect my 8400 to be as noisy as they get, not whithstanding PCs with
defective parts (squealing hard disks or fans).

Jean-Luc

Old December 13th 04, 01:27 AM
S.Lewis

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" wrote in message
nk.net...
My 8400 is very quiet. It is not "nearly inaudible", but much quieter
than
any PC I've owned. I have a high-end 8400 (two drives, top video-card),
so I
would expect my 8400 to be as noisy as they get, not whithstanding PCs
with
defective parts (squealing hard disks or fans).

Jean-Luc

Jean -

Then your 8400 also has: the video/GPU fan on the card as well as the
"blower" fan mounted in the case over the PCI cards?

Stew

Old December 15th 04, 07:45 AM
Jean-Luc Brouillet

It has the GPU fan, but no PCI blower fan.

Jean-Luc

In article , "S.Lewis"
wrote:

ink.net...