had it with DirectCD

Old September 28th 04, 06:42 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the problem has
been the poorly designed/implemented, and less than adequately tested,
implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general and
the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,
which despite the best efforts of the implementers must at least in part
be scrubbed - erased and rewritten - whenever a file is written or erased.

TOC? Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Reduced to learn from the Net-Trash?

=====================
From: Tim Kroesen (Net-Trash)
Date: 8/31/01

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote:

Typical Mike Richter:
Does not answer the only real question (about how packet writing
would wear out a CD-RW earlier than authoring) but responds to
the sarcastic bit that was in reference to his troll.

Because you were caught out again, isn't it, Mike.
Because you were caught trolling, again, like so many times.

How about extra heavy use of the fixed TOC area on a CDRW ;
as to wear the most data critical part out first with the
repeated TOC gyrations of Packet writing...
=====================

Is the TOC the same as the Directory, Mikey?
Do you know what Lead-In is?

--------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin ****!
--------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old September 28th 04, 10:41 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered:

There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the problem has
been the poorly designed/implemented, and less than adequately tested,
implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general and
the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,
which despite the best efforts of the implementers must at least in part
be scrubbed - erased and rewritten - whenever a file is written or erased.

TOC? Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Anyhow, whatever happened to the Directory?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 2/5,6/02

Fixed-length packets...maintain the directory information
in RAM while the disc is in use ...

When you remove a fixed-length packet disc after having
written anything to it, the directory information is written
back from RAM.
======================

Old September 29th 04, 12:35 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy ****) splattered:

Curtis Croulet wrote:

I'm trying to write a bunch of jpeg files.

if you're trying to write a few thousand JPGs,

And if Curtis was trying to burn a few hundred?

you are likely facing the problems

Even when DirectCD is made for small files, Mikey?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 10/7/02

I formatted a new CDR, and successfully burned a 200 MB
mpeg file to it. I even ejected it, put it back in, played the
file, and everything seemed ok.)

But then when I tried to burn the second large file, it appeared
to write only about 20 seconds of the mpeg, and then just stopped.

packet writing is made for drag-and-drop of smaller files
======================
Old October 2nd 04, 11:36 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Graham Mayor (Mikey S-licker) peep-squeaked:

snip

You are a bit hard on packet writing. I've had no trouble with
variable-length packets; writing, reliability and reading have all been
flawless.

What a sweeping statement based on the "not had enough" experience with
CD-R!

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy ****)
Date: 4/28/01

I have not had enough experience with UDF 1.5 on a write-once disc
to have an opinion on that.
======================

Of course, fixed-length is another matter.

No kidding!

According to none other than yourself, fixed-length packets was good
enough for BACKUP -- despite the cd-rw media is supposedly fragile,
flaky, forgetful, unreliable and spontaneously decaying:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec ****)
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
======================

--------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin ****!
--------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old October 2nd 04, 11:02 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Graham Mayor (Mikey S-licker) peep-squeaked:

snip

You are a bit hard on packet writing. I've had no trouble with
variable-length packets; writing, reliability and reading have all been
flawless.

That's a lot of opinion based on no opinion:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy ****)
Date: 4/28/01

I have not had enough experience with UDF 1.5 on a write-once disc
to have an opinion on that.
======================

Of course, fixed-length is another matter.

Of course, there are BIG, RED warning messages in DirectCD not to use
CD-RW media?

--------------------
What a Friggin ****!
--------------------

--------------------------------------

Old October 3rd 04, 06:20 AM
smh

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (9/21/04):

From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 9/29/04

each time you modify a fixed-length packet disc and eject it,
the directory must be rewritten.
======================

Old October 3rd 04, 06:15 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Graham Mayor (Mikey S-licker) peep-squeaked:

snip

You are a bit hard on packet writing. I've had no trouble with
variable-length packets; writing, reliability and reading have all been
flawless.

That's a lot of opinions based on no opinion:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy ****)
Date: 4/28/01

I have not had enough experience with UDF 1.5 on a write-once disc
to have an opinion on that.
======================

Of course, fixed-length is another matter.

The why does DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc) provide fixed-length format?

Why does Ezcd 6 have DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc)?
===============================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Roxio Shill) spewed:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back. A full format on a new CDRW
is OK. This never happened with EasyCD 5.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that
as well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg.

Surly CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

Also from your statement

"If you insist on using fixed-length packets,
you ask for that as well as losing data"

are you suggesting that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is
unreliable and should not be used ?

If so why does Easy Cd 6 have this software and say how easy it is
to use. Now I am very puzzled.
===============================

[So, why does Ezcd 6 have DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc), Mikey?]

--------------------------------------

From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Subject: CD-RWs and DirectCD - computer crashed and rebooted.
Date: 6/26/02

there's a tendency (despite publishers' efforts to reduce it)
for the directory to be "scrubbed" by repeated use
======================

Old October 4th 04, 10:12 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (9/21/04):

There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the problem has
been the poorly designed/implemented, and less than adequately tested,
implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general and
the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,
which despite the best efforts of the implementers must at least in part
be scrubbed - erased and rewritten - whenever a file is written or erased.

TOC? Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Were you talking about "scrubbing" the TOC here, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio ****)
Date: 10/28/02

Erasable media wear out, particularly with the sort of use
fixed-length packets usually give them.
======================

BTW, Is the TOC the same as the Directory, Mikey?

--------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin ****!

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?

Recovery Software for DirectCD CDRs? A Person Cdr 8 February 21st 04 06:36 AM
DirectCD Question bb Cdr 9 January 27th 04 12:01 AM
Is DirectCD on XP possible? BigJ Cdr 8 October 13th 03 07:01 AM
Is DirectCD on XP possible? BigJ Cdr 1 October 11th 03 10:50 AM
DirectCD 5 & WinXP Mochyn Brwnt :8( Cdr 4 June 28th 03 07:50 AM