Radeon HD 5970 2GB - the world's fastest graphics card is reviewed

Old November 19th 09, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

Default Radeon HD 5970 2GB - the world's fastest graphics card is reviewed

Highlights for the HD 5870:

Dual GPU card
4.3 billion transistors
3200 Shader Processors
160 Texture Units
4.64 TeraFlopps
294W maximum power, 42 W idle

2gig of GDDR5 memory
Drives 3 monitors up to 2560x1600 each, (2-DVI, 1-Display Port)
Length 13"

This card has been built for overclocking

Take a look at an article at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...70,2474-2.html

and:
http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...adeon-5970-gpu

and: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10400295-64.html

and: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=820 nice video good article

and:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/353401/w...fit-inside-pcs
one page

and: http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-...PU-Powerhouse/

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power for.
Their are no games that can use this level of power. The only people who
would benefit from this are CAD/CAM and Graphics Processing professions. Oh
I am sure having three or six monitors running you games would be
peachy-king and all immersive, but really, is that is all their is.

This stuff is going no where until the Gaming industry pulls its head out of
its butt and fixes things like DRM and returns to the "One Time Cost" model
verses the "Recurring Cost" of subscription service used lately. What a
waste of talent and money. And sales are down and we are in a recession,
and no one likes PC's for games and all that B.S.

This reminds me of Hostess Twinkies - They don't sell very well anymore. I
wonder why, at $1.30 per package, when I can get a Little Debbie for less
that $.40. Gee - maybe you think too much of yourself to see the
handwriting on the wall.

William

Old November 19th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DerekBaker[_2_]

William wrote:
[...]

You obviously haven't played Oblivion with a ton of mods active.

--
Derek
Old November 19th 09, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"DerekBaker" wrote in message
William wrote:
[...]

I indeed do play Oblivion with a 'ton' of mods running. Perhaps not as many
as you, but I do indeed run many. Everything is on max, and I do not see
any slowness on my system. Haven't since replacing the old 3870.

I plan to upgrade my computer some time the first part of next year to an
i5/i7 system. It will include a new mobo, cpu, ram, video card, and OS. I
will purchase a 5870 just to have what's new after availability and prices
become more reasonable. Even though I don't expect to have anything that
will use its power any time soon.

William

Old November 19th 09, 05:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DerekBaker[_2_]

William wrote:
[...]

Replaced it with what?

Old November 19th 09, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* William:
[HD 5970]

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power for.
Their are no games that can use this level of power. The only people who
would benefit from this are CAD/CAM and Graphics Processing professions.

Certainly not. CAD/CAM doesn't require such a graphics card, most
midrange and often even entry level graphics cards are just fine, and
none of these programs benefit from XFire/SLI.

Additionally, CAD/CAM users and "Graphics Processing professions" want
graphics cards that support features needed for their programs like AA
lines (which the Radeons don't) are certified for their programs and
therefore couldn't care less about gaming cards like the Radeon HD5970.

These users usually buy FireGLs and Quadros for a reason.

This stuff is going no where until the Gaming industry pulls its head out of
its butt and fixes things like DRM and returns to the "One Time Cost" model
verses the "Recurring Cost" of subscription service used lately. What a
waste of talent and money. And sales are down and we are in a recession,
and no one likes PC's for games and all that B.S.

That's nonsense. PC games are still made and sold, and the PC gaming
market is up and alive despite the constant "PC gaming goes down the
drain" whining that regularly comes since over a decade. A midrange PC
can do a level of graphics no console can do, and for a big part of
gamers there is no alternative to PC gaming.

Cards like these will sell, and even more they will attract the sales of
smaller models.

Benjamin

Old November 19th 09, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* William:
[HD 5970]

[...]

Benjamin:

What about rendering and ray-tracing?

Old November 19th 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Wile E. Coyote" wrote in message
William wrote:

This reminds me of Hostess Twinkies - They don't sell very well anymore.

They don't sell well anymore because they are sickly sweet and unhealthy.
Most people want more healthy snacks now.

Found on tee-shirts at the mall: "I'm not fat, I'm an American"

I have always found it interesting that people who are on food stamps in
America always have cigarettes, beer, fast-food, high-sugar products to
consume. They usually run out of stamps before the end of the month and go
begging for food though.

I've got family that are that way.

William

Old November 19th 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Thomas Womack

In article ion,
William wrote:

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power
for.

I'd use one to factorise large integers, except that the card has
nothing like enough memory to run the job properly. Finding large
prime numbers once there's a decent FFT port.

It would be a fantastic machine for simulating galaxy collisions.

I'd like to thank every gamer who has bought ludicrously powerful
graphics cards in the past for their part in making these vector
supercomputers in a PCIe slot readily available to scientists for whom
a teraflop for under a thousand dollars makes new research possible.

Tom
Old November 19th 09, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* William:
[HD 5970]

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power for.

snip

This stuff is going no where until the Gaming industry pulls its head out
of its butt and fixes things like DRM and returns to the "One Time Cost"
model verses the "Recurring Cost" of subscription service used lately.
What a waste of talent and money. And sales are down and we are in a
recession, and no one likes PC's for games and all that B.S.

That's nonsense. PC games are still made and sold, and the PC gaming
market is up and alive despite the constant "PC gaming goes down the
drain" whining that regularly comes since over a decade. A midrange PC can
do a level of graphics no console can do, and for a big part of gamers
there is no alternative to PC gaming.

Benjamin:

I've got one word for you - "Slashdot". Here is another "Ars Technicia" .
They do not hold the opinion you express, nor do I. Nor do most of the
financial columns and pundits when discussing the future of console gaming
and PC gaming. But that is OK. Actually, I hope you are right.

William

Old November 19th 09, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Thomas Womack" wrote in message
In article ion,
William wrote:

The question I have is this: What would you want this type of power
for.

I'd use one to factorise large integers, except that the card has
nothing like enough memory to run the job properly. Finding large
prime numbers once there's a decent FFT port.

It would be a fantastic machine for simulating galaxy collisions.

I'd like to thank every gamer who has bought ludicrously powerful
graphics cards in the past for their part in making these vector
supercomputers in a PCIe slot readily available to scientists for whom
a teraflop for under a thousand dollars makes new research possible.

Tom

Tom:

Didn't someone find a new prime number about six months ago? Don't they
have a 'cloud computer initiative' doing that sort of stuff? Yes, that
would make good use of such power. Don't you get to name the number or get
some prize money for discovering a new prime number?

What about simulating weather patterns, - seems Global Warming proponents
are having trouble with their models lately. They could use some help.

William