KVM and video question

Old November 4th 04, 04:30 PM
Clark

Default KVM and video question

I have a Belkin OmniCube 2 port KVM switch. It does what it is supposed to
except on one of my computers, I get quite a bit of ghosting making the
screen hard to read. The computer has a high end video card for gaming and
the video is normal with the monitor connected directly to the video card.

I was thinking the smaller Video cables used with the box were more than
likely to blame, but I was wondering if the ghosting could possibly be
originating from within the box?

Are newer KVM boxes better shielded to handle the higher video or is it just
the cable? Before I go out and try to find some better video cables, I just
wanted some other thoughts.

Thanks,
Clark

Old November 4th 04, 09:55 PM
kony

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:30:10 GMT, "Clark"
wrote:

I have a Belkin OmniCube 2 port KVM switch. It does what it is supposed to
except on one of my computers, I get quite a bit of ghosting making the
screen hard to read. The computer has a high end video card for gaming and
the video is normal with the monitor connected directly to the video card.

I was thinking the smaller Video cables used with the box were more than
likely to blame, but I was wondering if the ghosting could possibly be
originating from within the box?

Are newer KVM boxes better shielded to handle the higher video or is it just
the cable? Before I go out and try to find some better video cables, I just
wanted some other thoughts.

Thanks,
Clark

There is potential for a problem inside a kvm box but i
doubt it'd be engineered that badly, the cables are the
usual suspect.
Old November 4th 04, 11:44 PM
Noozer

"Clark" wrote in message
. com...
I have a Belkin OmniCube 2 port KVM switch. It does what it is supposed

except on one of my computers, I get quite a bit of ghosting making the
screen hard to read. The computer has a high end video card for gaming

and
the video is normal with the monitor connected directly to the video card.

I was thinking the smaller Video cables used with the box were more than
likely to blame, but I was wondering if the ghosting could possibly be
originating from within the box?

Are newer KVM boxes better shielded to handle the higher video or is it

just
the cable? Before I go out and try to find some better video cables, I

just
wanted some other thoughts.

Almost always the cables. Have you swapped cables between the two machines?

Old November 5th 04, 01:48 AM
Clark

I've swapped cables, but the ones I found when I originally set this thing
up were cheaper ones. I looked for double sheilded cables but did not see
any at the time. I see a local place that seems to have them so I am going
to look tomorrow.

I have noticed that some KVM switches give specs on frequiencies as well as
resolutions allowed. If the new cables don't work, I will look for a newer
box that supports higher frequiencies and higher resolutions. My current
one supports up to 1600x1200 so it should be able to do the job. Maybe the
cables will help, but if not, newer boxes probably come with cheap cables
anyway so I will need them no matter what.

Thanks for the response folks,
Clark

"Noozer" wrote in message

. com...