No CD copy program exists on Vista

Old May 17th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigRog[_2_]

Default No CD copy program exists on Vista

When I updated from Windows XP to Vista home edition, I lost the
preinstalled "CD Copy" program that was came with computer. I think
the old program was called Sonic

In other words I was able to diskcopy any CD non copyright program.

What do I use now?

Thanks.

Roger

Old May 17th 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

That program was not a part of XP, it was a 3rd party program that was
supplied by another vendor.

A CD Copier program comes with the "full retail" version of all of the
major CD burning software (Roxio, Nero and Sonic)(actually, Sonic now
owns Roxio, but the product lines are not yet merged).

Old May 17th 07, 01:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigRog[_2_]

Hi Barry,

I am looking for a freebee.

Roger

Old May 17th 07, 02:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Try Burn4Free and CDBurnerXPPro. Not sure if either works with Vista, but they
are worth the try. There are a couple of other free CD burning programs
available, but I have not tried any of them yet... Ben Myers

On 17 May 2007 05:18:01 -0700, BigRog wrote:

Hi Barry,

I am looking for a freebee.

Roger

Old May 18th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Try Burn4Free and CDBurnerXPPro. Not sure if either works with Vista,
but they
are worth the try. There are a couple of other free CD burning programs
available, but I have not tried any of them yet... Ben Myers

Did Vista lose the "native" Roxio drop/drag or "send to" CD burning
features from XP?

I haven't attempted it yet as I have Nero 7 installed on WinVU.

Anyone?

Stew

Old May 18th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigRog[_2_]

I found Free Download

Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 Supersonic (E) 7.5 Supersonic (E) for
windows XP. Does anybody know if it works for Vista?

Roger

Old May 18th 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

All you can do is install and try most of these programs. Recently, Microsoft
complained that Independent Hardware Vendors (IHVs) did not provide enough
drivers for Vista. Well, Vista has changed radically enough that both older
drivers and older software applications break when installed or run. So
Microsoft spreads the blame for the lack of success of Vista. How unpatriotic
of us all to think that Vista is flawed! Though not covered by the Patriot
Act, any dissent about Vista could be under surveillance... Ben Myers

Old May 18th 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I'm not aware of any Roxio products that are legally free.

I believe that only Roxio version 9 works with Vista.

Old May 18th 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Ben,

Your position is ludicrous. Normally we agree a bit more.

By your argument, Microsoft should never make any substantial changes to
Windows, because it would require effort on the part of the IHV and ISV.
Microsoft must ensure that every interface is absolutely identical from
release to release.

Even though they published the specifications literally years in advance
and locked them down a good two years ago. Even though the have been
providing betas for almost four years.

You do realize that by your argument, we'd all be running the latest
release of Windows 1.0? Not even 3.1, 1.0. No 95. No NT. No Windows
2000. No XP. We would still have DOS underneath. No true multitasking.
No multimonitor support. No wireless support. Minimal network support.
No domains.

Seriously, what would you suggest that they should have done
differently? The VAST majority of applications and even drivers run
unchanged. If the developer followed the XP development standards, it is
very likely the application still works. It is the developers that
pushed out the edges and delivered code that worked in XP, but barely,
that are having problems. Every single application that I have
developed and use (programming is a hobby) runs flawlessly without
recompile. Install and run. Some are complex file manipulation
utilities. Every one works.

I don't have a single commercial application that did not work on Vista.
Not one. Some required I be running the latest version, which seems
reasonable, as how could they have shipped me a version years ago that
would have anticipated Vista. That said, many of my very old
applications work fine too.

I would love to hear what you believe they should have done differently.

Tom

Old May 18th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Fri, 18 May 2007 13:46:37 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

[...]

I'm with Tom on this one. I expected Vista to be so much trouble
based on gloomy predictions, and everyone jumping on the negative
bandwagon about Vista.

Comments about the Vista production release being a beta and people
should wait for SP1 are untrue. This isn't a beta. It's a solid
release. See my recent favorite utitilites post. Yes, people should
know that their apps run under Vista, but for many I believe they will
find that all of them do.

I use Roxio Easy Media Creatore Deluxe on Vista and it works fine. I
disable drag-to-disk at startup because it causes problems at times.

To me it seems that MS took it's time to have a loooong beta and RC
test.

Also, built into Vista are options that enable you to run without
Glass in case those graphics API's cause apps to not work under glass.

I bought 2 hard drives for my laptop. One of them was going to be
dedicated to Vista, which based on the bandwagon of criticism I
thought wouldn't be stable. My XP hard drive is sitting there unused.
Vista, as I posted about before, is prime time for me, and I am using
it, and I like it.

There are only a few things that don't run on Vista. One is my old HP
Jornada 728 handheld PC. Vista's new ActiveSync replacement doesn't
work with devices that old. No biggie, I don't use it at all right
now.

I don't think MS should have done anything differently as far as
testing and release of Vista. I do wish that they had made several
changes to the interface, but I wasn't part of the betas adding my 2
cents worth either.