cd-drives keep dying in a dell pc

Old October 30th 04, 12:53 PM
me

Default cd-drives keep dying in a dell pc

hey there all,

new to this forum and seeking some answers.

I have a friend who has a pc.

they replaced a cd-drive in it 2 months ago.

now the replacement has died.

theyre both the same brand of cd drive. LG. i forget the model number.

i was thinking maybe the power-supply is faulty.

i've read heat can also kill something this way.

any other possible causes?

bottom line is we want to fix the problem and i cant find anything online
that suggests causes and things to check.

any answers will be appreciated

Old October 30th 04, 01:22 PM
Ken

me wrote:
hey there all,

new to this forum and seeking some answers.

I have a friend who has a pc.

they replaced a cd-drive in it 2 months ago.

now the replacement has died.

I assume you replaced the drive with a NEW one?

theyre both the same brand of cd drive. LG. i forget the model number.

i was thinking maybe the power-supply is faulty.

i've read heat can also kill something this way.

any other possible causes?

bottom line is we want to fix the problem and i cant find anything online
that suggests causes and things to check.

any answers will be appreciated

Although anything is possible, I have found LG drives to be extremely
reliable and accurate. If you have had two new drives fail, I think I
would take those failed drives and try them in a different computer.
Make sure also that you test these drives with an original CD and not a
copy made on a burner. This would establish if the drives were failing
or you had another problem such as power, cabling, or software. Just a
good place to start.
Old October 30th 04, 01:42 PM
me

"Ken" wrote in message
me wrote:
[...]

ken,

well i can only answer from what ive been told as i havent seen the pc.

a pc-tech obtained the machine and has done the replacement. no idea if the
drive was new but probably.

it took 2 months for the second drive to die.

i've passed on your reply to the person so she can look at it.

thanks majorly in advance.

Old October 30th 04, 01:44 PM
me

"Ken" wrote in message
me wrote:
[...]

after passing on your message i was told the cd drive makes a horrid noise
and wont open. so sounds like the unit itself.

Old October 30th 04, 04:50 PM
JK

Does your friend smoke near the pc? Does he use disks with
labels in the cd dive? A label that comes off and gets stuck
in a cd drive will trash it. Even if labels don't come off, if they
are not centered properly they might be damaging the drive.

Old October 30th 04, 04:56 PM
Noozer

"me" wrote in message
hey there all,

new to this forum and seeking some answers.

I have a friend who has a pc.

they replaced a cd-drive in it 2 months ago.

now the replacement has died.

Tell them that it isn't a pizza oven... Don't put anything but CD's into it.

: )

If they have kids it could be gunk stuck on the CD, or more than one CD
being inserted at a time.

Old October 30th 04, 05:40 PM
kony

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:44:19 GMT, "me"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
me wrote:
[...]

Dell PSU are usually good, if system works properly
otherwise I'd not expect only an optical drive to be
effected.

Keep the box shut and running typical load, then open it
without haste to feel how hot the drive is getting. Heat
may be causing belt hardening which could account for this.

On the other hand, the common denominator may not be the
drive but rather the user... some people aren't too kind to
their CDROM drives, perhaps one the tray were openeed it'd
be used as a cupholder before being violently shoved shut?

If the box is under warranty get another drive set out,
asking if they had something else equivalent but if the
drive isn't covered, open it up just enough to see the belts
(might be visable by simply removing the front bezel) and
under power, try ejecting, watching the belt and any other
mechanisms you see moving/trying.

Old October 31st 04, 07:24 PM
Mac Cool

me:

any other possible causes?

kids

--
Mac Cool
Old November 1st 04, 12:24 AM
me

Although anything is possible, I have found LG drives to be extremely
reliable and accurate. If you have had two new drives fail, I think I
would take those failed drives and try them in a different computer.
Make sure also that you test these drives with an original CD and not a
copy made on a burner. This would establish if the drives were failing
or you had another problem such as power, cabling, or software. Just a
good place to start.

ken,

after passing on your message i was told the cd drive makes a horrid noise
and wont open. so sounds like the unit itself.

they replaced the drive with another one to test. this one appeared in the

device list but doesnt show up under a drive letter in MY COMPUTER.

i suggested they check the jumpers and cabling for both hard disk and cd
drive.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old November 1st 04, 05:36 PM
ECM

"me" wrote in message ...
[...]

It may be that the first drive f'd up the IDE driver or fried the IDE
controller - I've had that happen a couple of times. Re-install the
IDE drivers to see if this fixes the problem; it's fast and worth a
try. I'd also test the second CD drive on a different computer to see
if it's actually working.

Peace!
ECM

are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE? AFN General 12 October 28th 04 07:45 PM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
Adding ATA 133 Controller Card Michael L. Coleman General 4 September 21st 03 07:20 AM