Essentials 700 very hard to get booted

Old August 30th 04, 09:07 PM
BillB

Default Essentials 700 very hard to get booted

My wife is having a problem with her Gateway Essentials 700 and the
problem seems to be getting worse lately.

The system does not want to start.. It may take several 'Power push
button' attempts before a boot occurs and then the boot goes to the
screen which defaults to "Safe Mode". When "Normal Mode" is selected
the boot completes to the desktop. However, the display adapter is in
small font and the ‘display' screen from ‘control panel' is displayed.
When large font is selected and then ‘apply' the message that " the
change requires restart" appears. Following the restart the computer
is where it use to boot to on one push of the button on the cpu..
This is behavior is a pain!!! Attempts to contact Gateway have gone
unanswered -- which will be remembered when I am ready for my next
purchase..

Once booted, the machine works OK..

When she goes to end her use session she "start" then "shut down" then
‘shut down' the computer ends up with a screen which says "it is now
safe to turn your computer off". It use to go to power off with any
further action after the ‘shut down' screen ‘button' was clicked.

After reviewing the following data, what should I do or access next ??

****************
The system has not had any recent software changed - other than Norton
VS ‘DAT' updates and the MS security fixes CD . As I recall the
problem preceded the ‘security fixes cd install, and the ‘fixes' did
not seem to influence the problem. The hardware configuration is
original except for a LAN card which has been installed for a long
time..

The NVM battery is original but the clock is keeping time..

I have ‘wiggled' all cables and cards.

Internet connection:
Cable modem into a linksys router ( This interface has been inuse
for two years or more. ).

System data:
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
18700-oem-0075441-23080

128k ram
76% resources free @ desktop - off line
x86 family 6, model 8, stepping 3

Lots of HDD space available..

Gateway info:
client # 23843315
sys sn 0019344864
sales order # 47991047

Browser / Mail:
Netscape 7.1
M$ IE is of course installed and is very current.. IE is not used in
the interest of security..
M$ OE is uninstalled in the interest of security.

Security at boot:
Norton 2000 AV 6.10.24
ZoneAlarm 5.0.5.509.043

Bios:
Main
bios version 4W4SB0X0.15A.0017.P12
sys memory 128K
bank 0 128K

Plug and play OS NO
Reset config data NO
NVM lock ON

Security
( all clear or not set )

Power
Power Mgmt Disabled

Boot
Silent Mode Enabled
Quick Boot Enabled
Scan User Flash Disabled
After Power Failure Stay off
On modem Stay off
On LAN Power on
On PME Stay off
1st boot ATAPICD
2ND boot Removable
3rd boot Hard drive
4th boot Network
Old August 30th 04, 10:34 PM
Ben Myers

As a first step, replace the C2032 3v lithium battery in the computer, even if
it is keeping correct time.

Next step is to enter the system BIOS setup menus, find the menu choice that
says "Reset Configuration Data", change the value to "Yes" (only for the next
time the system is booted), and reboot. This will cause Windows to refresh its
Plug-and-Play settings, i.e. all the info about the hardware setup.

Next, replace the power supply, because your computer could well have a sick
power supply.

Finally, run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics, altho it is unlikely a
failing hard drive could cause all the symptoms you are describing.

.... Ben Myers

Old September 2nd 04, 04:13 AM
BillB

This is an update on my previously reported problem..

My wife is having a problem with her Gateway Essentials 700 and the
problem seems to be getting worse lately. The system is out of
warranty and gateway will not reply. ( Something I'll remember when
the next PC purchase comes up. )

These are revised / current symptoms:: I have done some of the things
suggested here and elsewhere..

The system does not want to "boot up and start".. It may take
several attempts before a boot occurs and then the boot goes to the
screen which defaults to "Safe Mode". When "Normal Mode" is selected
the boot completes to the desktop. However, an error box appears
"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware."
When one clicks OK the Display properties displays. ( the settings are
what have been used for a LONG time. If font size on "advanced" had
been set to "large font" it has reverted to "small font". A click on
OK and we are back to the desk top -- and all works normally.. When
the pc session is done and "Start" "shut down", "shut down" is
selected we end up with the "It is safe to shut ..." screen. Pushing
the front panel button and power ( led ) goes off. It seems that the
computer use to actually power off based on the "start", "shut down",
"shut down".

The boot up sequence depends on how long the lower has been off.. If
only a minute or so then the boot is normal..

If however the power has been off for, say 10 minutes, then:
Power ( push button ) on
Beep - - beep, beep
Drives leds flash, floppy appears to seek home,
Beep
HDD led flickers, hdd sounds
a "POP" from the speakers
Hdd led dim no more hdd sounds ( several minutes of waiting and no
change )
Screen has been black this whole time..

Power off via front push button

Power back on via pushbutton in say 30 seconds.
same as above
Power off again

Power back on via push button
Gateway screen ( and chance to see NVM settings )
GoBack screen
Safe Mode screen ( there if I select normal mode and push enter I go
to the
the error box "There is a problem with your display settings. The
adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with
your hardware." as mentioned above.

After reviewing this and the following data, what should I do or
access next ??

****************
The system has not had any recent software changed - other than Norton
VS ‘DAT' updates and the MS security fixes CD . The problem seemed to
preceded the ‘security fixes cd install, and the ‘fixes' did not seem
to influence the problem. The hardware configuration is original
except for a LAN card which has been installed for a long time..

The NVM battery was original and the clock was keeping time -- but a
new battery was installed. NO CHANGE after the NVM and clock were
restored to their original states.

I have ‘wiggled' all cables and cards.

Internet connection:
Cable modem into a linksys router ( This interface has been in use
for two years or more. ).

System data:
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
18700-oem-0075441-23080

128k ram
76% resources free @ desktop - off line
x86 family 6, model 8, stepping 3

Lots of HDD space available..

Gateway info:
sys sn 0019344864

Browser / Mail:
Netscape 7.1
M$ IE is of course installed and is very current.. IE is not used in
the interest of security..
M$ OE is uninstalled in the interest of security.

Security at boot:
Norton 2000 AV 6.10.24
ZoneAlarm 5.0.5.509.043

NVM settings:
:
Main
bios version 4W4SB0X0.15A.0017.P12
sys memory 128K
bank 0 128K

Plug and play OS NO
Reset config data NO
NVM lock ON

Security
( all clear or not set )

Power
Power Mgmt Disabled

Boot
Silent Mode Enabled
Quick Boot Disabled was Enabled
Scan User Flash Disabled
After Power Failure Stay off
On modem Stay off
On LAN Stay off was Power on
On PME Stay off
1st boot Hdd was ATAPICD
2ND boot Removable
3rd boot ATAPICD was Hard drive
4th boot Network

Using MSCONFIG I found two "checked" entries in "start up" for "load
power management". Both were "un checked" and the symptoms changed to
what is listed above. Then one was again checked and the consistent
behavior described above remained..

Old September 9th 04, 05:23 PM
BillB

The beep codes were the key. Once I found the Gateway code i found it
was telling me the video card or memory was the problem.

The new video card is installed and again all is well...
BillB

(BillB) wrote in message . com...
This is an update on my previously reported problem..

clip