Presario S4020WM-B

Old August 25th 03, 04:48 PM
Euc1id

Default Presario S4020WM-B

Anybody else got one? I'd like to exchange experiences if you do. See if we
have the same problems, etc.

The Presario S4020WM-B just went on sale at Walmart a few days ago fro $498.
I jumped on it. There are some problems but it may be a keeper nevertheless.
The AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor running at 2.0GHz is a big plus for one of
my applications. It only has 128MB RAM so that needs upgrading ASAP.
Euc1id

Old August 26th 03, 05:22 AM
Euc1id

There's apparently no public documentation available for this computer. You
kind find a few parts listed in the HP Parts finder, but nothing else.
They'll apparently provide info if asked. I needed the system specifications
which they sent me by email. I decided to plug in more RAM and see if that
helps performance. Otherwise it's pretty slow. I could only find one place
that advertises RAM for this model: 4allmemory.com. Incidentally, according
to Compaq tech support, the S4020WM and S4020WM-B are the same model. Just
talking to myself, I guess...
Euc1id

ink.net...

Old August 26th 03, 06:05 AM
Jeff Davis

"Euc1id" wrote in message link.net...
Anybody else got one? I'd like to exchange experiences if you do. See if we
have the same problems, etc.

The Presario S4020WM-B just went on sale at Walmart a few days ago fro $498.
I jumped on it. There are some problems but it may be a keeper nevertheless.
The AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor running at 2.0GHz is a big plus for one of
my applications. It only has 128MB RAM so that needs upgrading ASAP.
Euc1id

I got one about two weeks ago and have had no problems with it. First
day I bought 512MB more of RAM (Kingston KVR333/512R). It made things
tremendously better. I set the vitual memory settings to show around
1GB memory. Things have been running smoothly for me, just installed
Windows XP Service Pack 2 and all the critical upgrades today, no
problems. I've mainly used this computer to surf the net and burn
CD's though, no intensive applications to test it's capabilities.
Moral of the story, the best performance tip I can recommend is adding
the RAM, to any computer, it will greatly increase performace.

Jeff
Old August 26th 03, 10:21 AM
Euc1id

Thanks very much for your info!

I ordered 512mb RAM today from 4allmemory.com which was the only place I
could find that guarantees (money back) their memory to be compatible with
this model. Odds are fairly good that the slowdown problem I'm experiencing
is the paging file. The hard drive churns much more than it should, and more
RAM should fix that. I'll report back in a few days.

Incidentally, Compaq email tech support says the S4020WM and the S4020WM-B
are the same model and have the same specs. I don't know the reason for
the -B.
Euc1id

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
om...

link.net...

Old August 28th 03, 09:14 PM
Euc1id

Well, I finally threw in the towel and took that computer back to Walmart
and exchanged it for a new one, same model, which works a whole lot better.
I just was unlucky and got a lemon. This new one works OK even without more
RAM, although a bit sluggish. Then I plugged in 512MB more RAM today and
it's nice & snappy now...
--
Euc1id

"Euc1id" wrote in message
link.net...
Thanks very much for your info!

I ordered 512mb RAM today from 4allmemory.com which was the only place I
could find that guarantees (money back) their memory to be compatible with
this model. Odds are fairly good that the slowdown problem I'm

experiencing
is the paging file. The hard drive churns much more than it should, and

more
RAM should fix that. I'll report back in a few days.

Incidentally, Compaq email tech support says the S4020WM and the S4020WM-B
are the same model and have the same specs. I don't know the reason for
the -B.
Euc1id

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
om...

link.net...

Old September 1st 03, 04:16 AM
Euc1id

Thanks. I downloaded it, but have never upgraded firmware for a drive, so am
cautious about running it. I've flashed computers' BIOS a few times. Does it
work the same -- put the upgrade on a floppy, then restart the computer with
the floppy in the drive? I also wonder if it affects the registration of
Windows XP.
--
Euc1id

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
om...
"Euc1id" wrote in message

hlink.net...
Well, I finally threw in the towel and took that computer back to

Walmart
and exchanged it for a new one, same model, which works a whole lot

better.
I just was unlucky and got a lemon. This new one works OK even without

more
RAM, although a bit sluggish. Then I plugged in 512MB more RAM today and
it's nice & snappy now...
--
Euc1id

I also downloaded and installed the lastest firmware for the CD-RW
drive in my 4020WM, CyberDrive CW058D CD-R/RW . The web page with the
update is:

http://www.cyberdrive.de/en/download.php

You should find an appropriate version for your drive there.

Jeff

Edit to read in original message: Service Pack 1