Radeon 7000 max refresh 75Hz

Old August 10th 03, 01:23 AM
RS Prigan

Default Radeon 7000 max refresh 75Hz

[posted and mailed]

A while back I posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, and still have
not resolved problem with Windows 98 se and Radeon 7000 VE:

* will not allow refresh rate greater than 75Hz *

--

I have a Radeon 7000 that has long been running 1024x768 32bpp hsync=99
vsynch =120 in windows 98 se. It uses an Iiyama Vison Master S901GT

When I updated machine to 1 G ram (extensive tests of memory with
x86memtest and other utils - mem is not issue), something belched on
reboot into Windows. I had no success reloading the driver I had been using
(wme_radeon_4_13_7189.exe), and eventually loaded the "latest and
greatest:"
4.14.01.9109 ...
wme-radeon-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe ... AND
control-panel-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe

Now I can't get a refresh rate of over 75Hz

The function to adjust refresh rate under ATI display settings/adapter
seems to make no difference. In the same ATI display
settings/displays/monitor/(advanced) I find no function for refresh rate.

It seems I am locked into the 75Hz as a max vsynch?!!

ATI support does not answer my inquiry. (Some in the
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati NG speculate that ATI has essentially quit
supporting anything before 8000 or 9000 series!)

*** The same machine runs fine in linux! It runs 1280x1024 24/32bpp
hsync=91 vsynch =85 in linux XFree86.

All indications are it is the driver and/or Windows98se!!!

--------------------

I have subsequently tried several of the ATI drivers, including Catalyst
3.0, 3.5, 3.6 ... same story

---
dxdiag indicates no problems and full function with DirectX 9.0a (and now
b). Same beh as with DirectX 8.1 ...

---
Since I have 1 G memory, I have also tried settings for the memory
addressing in system.ini

with anything less than
MaxPhysPage=40000 (equiv of 1024MB)
I get a blank screen - no output to monitor
with 40000 or above (or no setting) I get the persistent behavior.
MSKB articles:
!! Specifying Amount of RAM Available to Windows Using MaxPhysPage
1024 1073741824 MaxPhysPage=40000
1073741824 = 1,048,576 x 1024
AND:
"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows

Any solutions???

RSP

--
can reply to: rprigan AT insight.rr.com
Old August 11th 03, 08:07 PM
R S Prigan

Thanks Rich. The Rage3D Tweak utility did the trick. Apparently the
ATI-supplied utilities do not adequately edit registry keys??

I just picked 1024x768 from the "standard" seetings and adjusted the refresh
rate to 120 Hz (proper vsynch).

Updating VIA 4-in-1 didn't help
The latest drivers from ATI didn't help.
Fiddling with Win98's memory paging didn't work.

I don't know whether to blame M$ or ATI, but ...

Geez! Things are getting much easier in linux nowadays!

RSP

Rich Barry wrote:

Check out http://www.rage3d.com/files/ Especially Tweakers and Tools.
RefreshForce.