What version of WMP Is needed to work with Nero, InCD, DirectCD and EasyCD?

Old July 7th 03, 04:24 AM
Howard Kaikow

Default What version of WMP Is needed to work with Nero, InCD, DirectCD and EasyCD?

What about with InCD?

I found the following in the InCD Help or a readme, I forget which?

"InCD is not compatible with the 'Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in' which is
installed

as part of Windows Media Player 7.x. Please uninstall the plug-in using

'Add/Remove Programs' from the Control Panel."

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Mike Levy" wrote in message
I have WMP 7 with no conflicts with Nero...

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 16:55:14 -0400, "Howard Kaikow"
wrote:

I have WMP version 6.4.9.1125 on Win 2000 SP 4.
Version 6.4.7.1121 on Win 98.

I do not even see 6.4 available for Win 2000 at the MSFT download page

for
WMP.

What version of WMP should I be running in Win 98 and in Win 2000?
How do I avoid conflict with Nero, InCD, DirectCD and EasyCD?

Old July 7th 03, 10:49 AM
Howard Kaikow

Even for WMP 6.4, there's no entry in Add/Remove programs.

So what do folkes do to avoid a conflict with Roxio/Ahead software?

Are they forced to use WMP 6.4?

Does WMP 7 and later have the ability to install the plug-in?

I don't even see how to identify a plug-in with WMP 6.4.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.
"smh" wrote in message
WMP included the burn plugin, starting from ver 7.0. When WMP 7.0 was
released, the burn plugin promptly "killed", believe it or not, Easy
Coaster Creator 4, of all things!

Good idea to uninstall the burn plugin. The problem is in some WMP 7+
versions on some Windows, it can't be removed by Add/Remove.

Howard Kaikow wrote:

What about with InCD?

I found the following in the InCD Help or a readme, I forget which?

"InCD is not compatible with the 'Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in' which is
installed

as part of Windows Media Player 7.x. Please uninstall the plug-in using
'Add/Remove Programs' from the Control Panel."

"Mike Levy" wrote...

Old July 7th 03, 11:21 AM
Graham Mayor

WMP6 has no burning tools, and lacks the system bloat of Media Players 7+. I
would retain it while you are using Windows 2000.
It has no conflict with your software.
InCD and Direct CD must not be installed together. They will always
conflict. Choose one or the other - with Direct CD being my preference if
compatible with your writer. Nero and EZCD will usually coexist without
problem.

--

Graham Mayor

Old July 7th 03, 11:28 AM
Graham Mayor

Furthermore, if you upgrade to WMP8/9 - not 7 surely? - then if you are
running Microsoft Autoroute, you have to be on-line in order to listen to
the media clips in the phrasebook. WMP6 allows you to listen off-line. This
is not an issue if you have broadband.
I'd stick with WMP6 unless you have a pressing need to install a more recent
version, for some reason you have not explained.

--

Graham Mayor

Old July 7th 03, 11:59 AM
Howard Kaikow

Actually, I'm trying to straighten out my sister's computer. She has:

1. Win 98 on C with Easy CD and WMP 6.4
2. Win 2000 on F, with Easy CD and WMP 7.1
3. Win 2000 on G, with Nero and InCD and WMP 9

On my own system, I really don't care about WMP, I just do not want a
version that conflicts with the CD writers, so I guess that I'll stick with
6.4.

Is there any entry in Add/Remove programs for WMP 7 and later?
There's none for 6.4.

My sister likely cares about WMP, but still she should not have a version
that will conflict with the CD writers.

Old July 7th 03, 06:51 PM
smh

No burn plugin with WMP 6.4.

Some versions of WMP 7+ on some Windows, you remove the plugin by
choosing WMP in Add/Remove. The window that pops up then supposedly
have the options to remove the plugin (via something like modify WMP
install).

For cases without the Add/Remove, there's a unregistering method
"davexnet" posted some time ago. Also, for WMP 9, see "KCK"'s procedure
in the InCD troubleshoot guide:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9572 (XP)
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9997 (W2K)
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9597 (98x)

Old July 7th 03, 11:22 PM
KCK

See S11 and S11.4 in

http://web2news.com/?alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Old July 8th 03, 11:04 AM
Alex Nichol

Howard Kaikow wrote:

What about with InCD?

I found the following in the InCD Help or a readme, I forget which?

"InCD is not compatible with the 'Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in' which is
installed

as part of Windows Media Player 7.x. Please uninstall the plug-in using

'Add/Remove Programs' from the Control Panel."

In CD is not Nero. Nero is a mastering program, and will coexist with
the Adaptec plugin; InCD is a packet writing system for CD-RW which
allows files to be dragged/dropped direct to CD-RW disks. This is in
conflict with drag and drop facilities also supported by that plugin
(which are not writing to the disk but stashing up files so as to
create a disk image and then burn it. If you want to use the WMP
method of burning a playlist directly then you must forgo these packet
writing methods. Or not use the WMP plugin, and burn audio CDs with
Nero

--
Alex Nichol
Bournemouth, U.K.