Strange LAN problem with my new XP

Old October 18th 03, 04:07 AM
Peter

Default Strange LAN problem with my new XP

Hi all,
I installed winXP in my new AMD 2500+ with Gigabyte GA-7N400, it runs
very sweetly. Just with two problems though. When I do high speed
transportation with lan (both ADSL or inhouse), I encounter some short
pauses to the system occasionally, the whole computer got frozen for a
second or so. What exactly can it be?
Secondly, when it's playing mp3, I can't do graphic works in the
foreground like dragging the scroll bar, otherwise there will be a lot
of noises come with the music. I experience the same thing with my old
Althon system, why? Is it AMD has something wrong in sound system?

My system has these:
AMD XP 2500+
Gigabyte GA-7N400
512MB SAMSUNG PC3200
Winfast A340TDH 128Mb
IBM UMA100 120GB with 8Mb cache

Any one?

Old October 18th 03, 06:42 PM
Drkcougar

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:07:14 +0800, Peter
wrote:

[...]

Looks like you have enough memory at first glance. Next question is,
what program are you using to play MP3 files? How many little icons
are loading into your taskbar tray? This can be a surprising problem
when really considered. I would frequently run into problems with
little "speciality" programs like My Comet Cursor and nearly anything
from Gator Corporation. Try a clean reboot, then go into your system
to find out how much you have free on system resources. You can do
this by hitting Crtl-Alt-Del. From there you select task manager, then
select the performance tab. Then look at all of the info and see if
you are using too much memory. Try doing this when you are running the
MP3 software what is giving you fits.
As for the LAN related things, it sounds like the same problem you
may get once in a while when tranfering data from one drive, cd or
hard drive, to another. One simply has to catch up with the data it is
being sent. Often the buffers start to over flow and tell the system
to stop while it "catches it breath" so to speak.

Chris

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
rather straightforward heat problem Jan Biel General 3 August 25th 03 08:14 PM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
Advice on lockup problem grendel General 1 July 7th 03 05:39 AM