Best user friendly printer maker?

Old August 10th 06, 05:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

Default Best user friendly printer maker?

Hi all,

I need to get a new printer. It needs to be cheap to buy,
cheap to maintain and the company should be friendly
to the people who buy their products. B&W or color is
ok. Is there such a company? It should also be able to
work with Vista when it comes out.

thanks,
charles....

Old August 10th 06, 08:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"***** charles" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I need to get a new printer. It needs to be cheap to buy,
cheap to maintain and the company should be friendly
to the people who buy their products. B&W or color is
ok. Is there such a company? It should also be able to
work with Vista when it comes out.

thanks,
charles....

How friendly would you like the company to be?

- free ink for the life of the printer?
- eternal tech support and on site repair?
- will call you on the weekends and ask if everything's been running OK?

Just how much are you willing to spend on this "cheap" to buy and "cheap"
maintain printer?
You indicate that you don't necessarily even need color. That would indicate
a laser printer for dependability and the lowest cost for consumables since
you would only use black toner. How much printing do you intend to do with
this printer? As far as "friendly" goes I think you really need to be
specific in your expectations. The friendliest company I can think of is the
one that puts out a reliable well dessigned machine that runs for years,
doesn't cost an arm and leg, that prints nicely so I don't have to call them
in the first place. Is there one? I don't think so. I would imagine that
any printer that you buy right now will work with Vista and the printer
company would either issue drivers for it or Vista would natively have
drivers available.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old August 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Edwin Pawlowski

"***** charles" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

I need to get a new printer. It needs to be cheap to buy,
cheap to maintain and the company should be friendly
to the people who buy their products. B&W or color is
ok. Is there such a company? It should also be able to
work with Vista when it comes out.

How cheap is cheap? I saw an HP printer in Wal Mart for $30 or so. I don't
expect the company to be all that friendly over the years for a $30 printer
though.

None are truly cheap to operate unless you refill cartridges. How much
printing do you do?

Actually, you sound like a cheap SOB that knows little of setting up a
printer and will be on the support line very day. I'd not sell you one if I
was in the business. .

Old August 11th 06, 04:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

You do not want cheap but less expensive. You get what you pay for.
Try the Canon IP4200 using OEM ink.

Old August 11th 06, 12:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I need to get a new printer. It needs to be cheap to buy,
cheap to maintain and the company should be friendly
to the people who buy their products. B&W or color is
ok. Is there such a company? It should also be able to
work with Vista when it comes out.

thanks,
charles....

Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and a friendly company, eh? OK, what
planet are you from and what have you done with Charles? Is he in a pod
in the basement?

Oh, and if you want user-friendly, don't wait for Vista. You'll be
disappointed. Get a Mac instead. It'll be much cheaper and easier to
maintain, too.

TJ
Old August 11th 06, 03:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Teranews

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
bull sh----

Old August 11th 06, 06:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

Thanks for the reasonable reply. I think I will go with
an Epson Stylus C88 for $80 at my local Staples. I
specifically used the word cheap because of the
connotation since it doesn't have to be heavy-duty.
The other thing I like about the Epson is that it just
works with Linux which I know is something I didn't
mention in the OP. To me cheap means anything
under a $100. When the time comes to change
cartridges, it is almost easier/better to just buy another
printer with a new waranttee since I don't print out
that many pages in the life of the printer. Some
manufacturers have a reputation of being user
hostle. They don't release info about their products
so programmers can write device drivers for them
and such. I had a printer once that worked with
an older version of Windows. When the newer
version came out, the printer company said "buy
a new printer", the company had no plans to write
a new driver for my printer on the new version of
the os. I said I will not buy another one
of your products and I never have.

later,
charles......

t...

Old August 11th 06, 06:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

***** charles wrote:
[...]

. net...

***** charles wrote:

Hi all,

I need to get a new printer. It needs to be cheap to buy,
cheap to maintain and the company should be friendly
to the people who buy their products. B&W or color is
ok. Is there such a company? It should also be able to
work with Vista when it comes out.

thanks,
charles....

We use the Epson C88 as our standard work horse printers for documents,
etc.
We use only after market carts from inksupply.com and ignore any
warnings that come during install.
We have never been let down or disappointed in the performance of the
printer or ink.
Frank
Old August 11th 06, 08:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

***** charles wrote:
[...]

The canon support under linux is spotty. I'm not sure there are
drivers for the new ip4200/ip5200, but if so they would be on the .jp
canon ftp site
ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
there is always turboprint. Adds to the cost, but does the job.

If you consideer epson, consider the Epson referb site, they have the
c88 for $59 with free shipping. Direct linking is a pain so visit
www.epson.com and click on clearance center on the right hand side.

Old August 11th 06, 08:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Edwin Pawlowski

"***** charles" wrote in message
t...
Thanks for the reasonable reply. I think I will go with
an Epson Stylus C88 for $80 at my local Staples. I
specifically used the word cheap because of the
connotation since it doesn't have to be heavy-duty.
The other thing I like about the Epson is that it just
works with Linux which I know is something I didn't
mention in the OP. To me cheap means anything
under a $100.

You ask a question, you don't like most of the answers, then you come back
and finally tell the "rest of the story". Next time, think about what you
really want to know and ask with all the information needed to make a proper
recommendation. .

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA? Dan_Musicant Storage (alternative) 79 February 28th 06 09:23 AM
Printer recommendation for infrequent user McBarker Printers 17 December 9th 05 07:17 PM
Wireless Printer Server and USB printer? [email protected] Printers 4 June 28th 05 04:01 AM
The ideal inkjet printer anon Printers 6 April 29th 05 07:39 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 10:16 AM