Aus V8200T2 and VR Goggles in Winxp - Unable to Use :(

Old September 5th 03, 09:45 AM
Ben Nealon

Default Aus V8200T2 and VR Goggles in Winxp - Unable to Use :(

Hi
i have got an Asus V8200 T2 graphics card and i am using it in windows xp.
When i used the original drivers that i got with the card in win98 i could
use my VR goggles with no problem! I have now upgraded to Winxp; if i
install the drivers that come with the Card all of my logos and general
appearance of the OS revert back to "Win98 style" - I then decided to put on
the most upto date Asus Graphics drivers (V44.71c) and this has stopped the
problem, The only Nag i have now is that i cant seem to use my Virtual
Reality goggles in Winxp - I cant even get the ingame Asus OS Display up!
(it is enabled in the settings),

Any Ideas,

Ben Nealon

Old September 5th 03, 08:04 PM
Baron Von Black

"Ben Nealon" wrote in message
Hi
i have got an Asus V8200 T2 graphics card and i am using it in windows xp.
When i used the original drivers that i got with the card in win98 i could
use my VR goggles with no problem! I have now upgraded to Winxp; if i
install the drivers that come with the Card all of my logos and general
appearance of the OS revert back to "Win98 style" - I then decided to put

on
the most upto date Asus Graphics drivers (V44.71c) and this has stopped

the
problem, The only Nag i have now is that i cant seem to use my Virtual
Reality goggles in Winxp - I cant even get the ingame Asus OS Display up!
(it is enabled in the settings),

Any Ideas,

Ben Nealon

Ben

Ditch the Asus drivers they stink!

I have Asus Geforce 4 with stereo specks under Win XP

goto www.Nvidia.com and download both the XP driver 45.23 and the Stereo
Driver 45.23.

Ensure ALL the bits of ASUS's drivers are deleated by using something like
DETONATOR DESTROYER

this Util is available from www.guru3d.com

Install the Nvidia driver then stereo driver and one happy PC owner there
will be.

Currently playing IL2 Sturmovik - Forgotten battles with mine and it's
Awesome.

Good luck

Baron

Old September 6th 03, 06:04 PM
Ben Nealon

Thanxs for the help Baron,

Ill give it a shot - rekon that my machine might run a bit faster?
I.E better 3d mark score?

Will i be able to use Smart Doctor still??

Kind Regards,

Ben

Old September 6th 03, 06:08 PM
Ben Nealon

Baron another question!
What is the stereo driver for?

Old September 6th 03, 06:58 PM
Baron Von Black

"Ben Nealon" wrote in message
Baron another question!
What is the stereo driver for?

Regards,

Ben

Ben

The stereo driver is the module to allow you to activate your VR goggles.

Without it you have no goggles.

Now - when it's all installed correctly

goto your display properties

click on the SETTINGS tab

now click ADVANCED

make sure "Apply the new display settings without restarting" is checked .

click APPLY.

Next bit

Click GEFORCE tab

now a box will pop up from the left.

Look for the tab "STEREO PROPERTIES"

select "enable stereo"

goto to "setup & test"

just work you way through remembering to set your settings

Good luck!

Old September 6th 03, 09:23 PM
Ben Nealon

Hi,
Thanxs for the help it is great - i have it working a treat. Now i am
currently running windows xp with an LG Flatron 775FT (17 inch) monitor. Now
when i pay any games i usually play them in 1024x768. When playing these
games my montior always seems to put itself into a 60hz refesh rate. I know
that the monitor can do a maximum of 85hz in this resolution as i have had
it doing it in windows! I hate the way that xp decides to change the
resolution for you! Is there anyway that this can be bypassed as if i
remember rightly windows 98 always chose the best refresh rate whatever.

Now i have found that if i can play a game in Direct3D not OpenGL (Unreal
Tournament supports this) i can manually set the refreshrate using the
nvidia drivers! But i cant seem to do this for OpenGL. This is a pain as
most of my games are OpenGl and playing these with my favourite resolution
and the VR Glases just hurts the eyes after 10 minutes! I play such games
like Halflife , counterstrike, medal of honour etc....

Do you know what i could do?

I hope you can help me,

Kind Regards,

Ben Nealon

Old September 7th 03, 12:36 AM
Baron Von Black

"Ben Nealon" wrote in message
[...]

Sure can Ben

On the setup screen for the goggles select a resolution and refresh rate you
require. When your happy select "save settings"

Do this for ALL your screen resolutions - a bit tedious I know - and get the
desired result. That works for both D3D and OpenGL on my system!

As for 2D resolutions like desktop.

goto DISPLAY PROPERTIES

SETTINGS

MONITOR

and set your Other refresh rates for desktop from there.

Have fun

Baron

Old September 7th 03, 12:30 PM
Ben Nealon

Thanxs,
I have got it to work on most games now like Wolfenstein enemy
territory! - The only problem i am having now is half life and counterstrike
keeps setting my monitor refresh rate to a stupid 60Hz, it doesnt matter
what resolution i put it in or what settings i change with teh goggles. As i
say i have got wolfenstein to work at 100hz in 800x600,

Any Thoughts?

Ben Nealon

P.S - io have the latest hafl life and CS Patches installed!

Old September 7th 03, 12:38 PM
Ben Nealon

Hi,
Thanxs for the help Baron - two more thoughts; i have got this to work now
in games such as Wolfenstein enemy territory etc.... at a good refreshrate.
Now the only game i havent got it to work in is the likes of Half Life and
CS where they are still running at a painstaking 60Hz at any resolution! I
am thinking that the game may be using the default resoltuion that windows
sets. I have noticed that if i change my windows resolution from my usual
1152x864 at 85hz to anything else it automatically defaults to 60hz unless i
change it otherwise! It deosnt matter what i do i cannot ge anything else
than 60hz in these games! I know windows 987 used to run these at the best
refreshrate the monitor could do? do you rekonit is winXP playing stupid or
being too clever? Is there any way around it (obviously i dont want win98
back on!)

Another quick question? what does the "Always Use Stereo Refresh rate" Mean?
i have used it enabled and disabeld and i cant see much of a diffrerence!?

Thanking you in advance,

Ben Nealon

P.S - i have the latest monitor drivers on as i thought this might have
helped, but it doesnt!