Overheat Dell

Old February 11th 04, 02:51 AM
Spiderman

Default Overheat Dell

My Dell Dimension 4400 keeps overheating and shutting down/sleeping. The fan
appears to be blowing very weak, especially when compared with my old Dell
Dimension XPS T700r . I'm assuming that the P4 heats up more than the P3, so
therefore the fan in the P4 case should be more powerful, not less? I bought
this system used so I have no idea how powerful the fan is supposed to be...
What is a good souce for replacement fans for this model? Do you recommend
going all out for an even higher-spec'ed fan than the original? Practically
speaking, will CPU overheating eventually kill the CPU or cause other damage
to the system?

Old February 11th 04, 02:59 AM
S.Lewis

"Spiderman" wrote in message
My Dell Dimension 4400 keeps overheating and shutting down/sleeping. The

fan
appears to be blowing very weak, especially when compared with my old Dell
Dimension XPS T700r . I'm assuming that the P4 heats up more than the P3,

so
therefore the fan in the P4 case should be more powerful, not less? I

bought
this system used so I have no idea how powerful the fan is supposed to

be...
What is a good souce for replacement fans for this model? Do you recommend
going all out for an even higher-spec'ed fan than the original?

Practically
speaking, will CPU overheating eventually kill the CPU or cause other

damage
to the system?

Your problem may be perceived as one of overheating, but likely is not
unless you're experiencing error messages such as: "CPU0 Fan Failure" or
"Previous Fan Failure" or "System Shutdown Due to Thermal Event".

The airflow dynamic (design) of your PIII and P4 Dell systems are entirely
different. Both systems have variable speed fans, that speed dictated by a
sensor monitoring air temps inside of the case.

From what little information you've posted about your Dim4400, I suspect a
power-related problem.

Stew

Old February 11th 04, 05:13 AM
Spiderman

What sort of power-related problem would cause random (every few days) sleep
shutdowns? I call 'em sleep shutdowns because the power light blinks the way
it would in sleep mode. The problem usually manifests itself when playing
intensive games (i.e. Vice City) but also sometimes overnite (I leave the PC
on at all times).

More info on the Dell Dimension 4400: 2.66 GHz, 640 MB RAM, Intel Extreme
Integrated Graphics, DVD drives, etc. running on Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Spiderman" wrote in message
Your problem may be perceived as one of overheating, but likely is not
unless you're experiencing error messages such as: "CPU0 Fan Failure" or
"Previous Fan Failure" or "System Shutdown Due to Thermal Event".

The airflow dynamic (design) of your PIII and P4 Dell systems are entirely
different. Both systems have variable speed fans, that speed dictated by

sensor monitoring air temps inside of the case.

From what little information you've posted about your Dim4400, I suspect a
power-related problem.

Stew

Old February 11th 04, 12:17 PM
S.Lewis

"Spiderman" wrote in message
What sort of power-related problem would cause random (every few days)

sleep
shutdowns? I call 'em sleep shutdowns because the power light blinks the

way
it would in sleep mode. The problem usually manifests itself when playing
intensive games (i.e. Vice City) but also sometimes overnite (I leave the

PC
on at all times).

More info on the Dell Dimension 4400: 2.66 GHz, 640 MB RAM, Intel Extreme
Integrated Graphics, DVD drives, etc. running on Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks.

snip

Well, a couple of things. If you've indeed got a Dim4400, that system has
an AGP graphics card rather than the Intel Extreme (integrated) video.

The first place to start would be to look at your power management settings
in WindowsXP to be sure they haven't been changed (right click on
desktop/properties/screensaver/power/ and verify that the hard disk, system
standby, and system hybernates are set to "never").

Stew

Old February 11th 04, 01:07 PM
Quaoar

Spiderman wrote:
My Dell Dimension 4400 keeps overheating and shutting down/sleeping.
The fan appears to be blowing very weak, especially when compared
with my old Dell Dimension XPS T700r . I'm assuming that the P4 heats
up more than the P3, so therefore the fan in the P4 case should be
more powerful, not less? I bought this system used so I have no idea
how powerful the fan is supposed to be... What is a good souce for
replacement fans for this model? Do you recommend going all out for
an even higher-spec'ed fan than the original? Practically speaking,
will CPU overheating eventually kill the CPU or cause other damage to
the system?

Shut down the computer and let it get cold, perhaps 30 minutes or more.
With a can of "dust cleaner", available at any computer store,
thoroughly blow through each air vent and the fan inlet. Because of the
relatively high heat load, laptop designers have opted for large
quantities of slow moving air to limit cooling noise, and dust tends to
collect in the cooling channels. The air inlets and outlets tend to
catch larger objects like hair, cheetos, etc.

Old February 11th 04, 02:20 PM
S.Lewis

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Spiderman wrote:
[...]

Sadly, on that series case, cheetos won't become a problem. The only air
inlets are under the front audio/USB panel door, and they are minimal (to my
liking). Any other air intake is unintended, likely coming in around the
panel openings of the floppy and optical drives.

Stew

Old February 11th 04, 07:13 PM
Spiderman

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message
[...]

Stew,

They're all set to "never" and the power and sleep buttons are set to "Ask
me what to do" when they're pressed.

I'm pretty sure that I've got a genuine Dim4400...it sure looks like one and
it's written near the power button. The service tag is 834T311. There is an
AGP 4x slot (currently unused) as well as the integrated Intel Extreme
graphics which I'm currently using. From my understanding, this on-board
video is not desirable as it taxes the system memory. I will probably
upgrade to a stand-alone AGP card (e.g. ATI 8500) for the extra performance.
Do I need to do anything special to disable the integrated graphics or do I
just put in the new card and it automagically disables itself?

Thanks for your help.

Old February 12th 04, 04:01 AM
S.Lewis

"Spiderman" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message
[...]

My friend, unless you're international or something, I've never seen a (US)
version of the Dim4400 with integrated graphics, nor does the website show
such:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...cs.htm#1103355

Are you using any screensavers at all? Or is there a chance that power
interruptions (from the surge/UPS/or wall outlet) are shutting the machine
down and sending it into a reboot hung up limbo?

Stew

Old February 12th 04, 04:50 AM
Spiderman

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message
[...]

It's got both Integrated AND an AGP 4x slot. It's also got integrated audio,
which is disabled as I'm using a Creative Live! 5.1 card.

I use no screensavers. I think the problem may have been dust build-up in
the air intakes...I've cleaned out the innards and haven't had a random
sleep shutdown since (fingers crossed).

Old February 12th 04, 07:34 PM
S.Lewis

"Spiderman" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Spiderman" wrote in message
[...]

Then I'll join you in crossing fingers. I will remain perplexed at the
video configuration of your system, however. Good luck!

Stew