[OT] Seeking cheap mono laser (under £200)

Old July 29th 04, 05:06 PM
Nick

Default [OT] Seeking cheap mono laser (under £200)

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Am looking for cheap mono laser printer for personal home use for
under about £160. Will print about 200 to 250 pages a month.

Are there any models which are outright winners in this category?

By the way, are inkjets competitive at this price? Injkjets always
seemed to be a bit slower and a bit poorer quality than mono laser
and the running costs seemed to be higher. Maybe this has
all changed?

I've just brought a Samsung ML 1750 for £107 including next day delivery see
pricerunner - (in fact I was sent a ML 1755 which has 32mb of memory!).
Very small laser with good print quality and speed.

Old July 29th 04, 11:31 PM
Matt

Nick wrote:
"Lem" wrote in message ...

Am looking for cheap mono laser printer for personal home use for
under about £160. Will print about 200 to 250 pages a month.

Are there any models which are outright winners in this category?

By the way, are inkjets competitive at this price? Injkjets always
seemed to be a bit slower and a bit poorer quality than mono laser
and the running costs seemed to be higher. Maybe this has
all changed?

I've just brought a Samsung ML 1750 for £107 including next day delivery see
pricerunner - (in fact I was sent a ML 1755 which has 32mb of memory!).
Very small laser with good print quality and speed.

Those Samsungs work with Linux, Mac, and XP. Even if you are just using
XP now, you don't want your OS choice inhibited a year or two from now.

Old July 30th 04, 01:01 AM
Tim Auton

Lem wrote:
[snip]
I Googled and saw that the Samsung ML 1750 comes with a cartridge
that has an expected life of 1000 pages (replacement cartridges can
expect 3000 pages). What is the cost of a new cartridge?

Searching for "ML 1750 toner" should find you some results and some
adverts.

As an aside: Use another search engine, at least when you want to see
adverts (you do in this case). Google used to be far better than the
competition, but the gap has closed considerably. Monopolies are bad
and supporting diversity in this case isn't painful at all.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Old July 30th 04, 05:04 PM
Fred

"Tim Auton" tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote in message

As an aside: Use another search engine, at least when you want to see
adverts (you do in this case). Google used to be far better than the
competition, but the gap has closed considerably. Monopolies are bad
and supporting diversity in this case isn't painful at all.

On soap box

OT I know but I find google is largely becoming a collection of adverts with
the highest paying at the top of the hit-list.

Even sites where you have to pay are being listed - where you have to pay to
see the information which has been submitted to Google or which Google has
somehow found.

There are lots of techniques of increasing hit rates, one example is because
the IP addresses Google used are known by some. The website seen by Google
isn't necessarily the one seen by the rest of us!

Off soap box

Old July 31st 04, 07:47 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Another benefit of the Samsung:
o Several use Toners with just a bung to plug the filler
---- ML-1210 is one of those for certain
o You can simply undo the bung & pour in fresh toner
---- obviously you only want toner inside, not on carpet

Some come with only half-filled cartridges, and so can be
easily & cheaply refilled. If you really want a cheaper laser:
o LJ-4P or LJ4
o Perhaps last of the cheaper-end, solidly made, HP printers
o Consumables as common as nitrogen

You can buy service kits for the old LJ printers cheaply.
Not difficult to clean them, re pickup rollers, and such so even
a very old item can still give a very very long life. 4MV for A3.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items

Old July 31st 04, 09:17 PM
Tim Auton

Lem wrote:
[snip]
I also get the impression that Google is tracking me. If I type in
"scan" then I get Scan Computers in the UK at the top of the list.
I reckon there must be hyundreds of other "scans" I should also
have seen (like MRI scan, like radio scanners, etc).

Try a search engine you don't use much. I bet it comes first or nearly
first there too.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Old August 1st 04, 02:53 PM
CBFalconer

Lem wrote:
"Nick" wrote:

Am looking for cheap mono laser printer for personal home use
for under about £160. Will print about 200 to 250 pages a
month.

Are there any models which are outright winners in this
category?

.... snip ...

I've just brought a Samsung ML 1750 for £107 including next
day delivery see pricerunner - (in fact I was sent a ML 1755
which has 32mb of memory!). Very small laser with good print
quality and speed.

I Googled and saw that the Samsung ML 1750 comes with a cartridge
that has an expected life of 1000 pages (replacement cartridges
can expect 3000 pages). What is the cost of a new cartridge?

I see nothing OT about this for a.c.h. I DO see excessive
crossposting, with failure by the OP to set followups. Also
failure to retain attributions by someone.

I have been using a Samsung ML4500B for several years. Its
original cost wash USD 199. Toner cartridges cost about USD 60.
I am still on the first replacement cartridge. I use it combined
with fineprint http://fineprint.com for extremely cheap
printing. Don't even consider an inkjet for B&W printing - the
lasers are trouble free in comparison (I have had zero
difficulties). I believe all Samsung laser primters use the same
cartridge. This one came with drivers for Windoze and Linux and a
parallel port interface.

--
"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry
is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering