Is this Computer worth it?

Old November 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Uncle Nobby

Default Is this Computer worth it?

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Old November 28th 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
HEATHER-SCOTGIRL

i think it could be cheaper for the spec as especially the processor runs at 1.8ghz, not fast for a brand new pc nowadays

"Uncle Nobby" wrote in message ...
Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

AVAST Antivirus: Outbound THIS MESSAGE IS CLEAN
Virus Database (VPS): 0651-2, 28/11/2006
Tested on: 28/11/2006 18:36:35

Old November 28th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
[email protected]

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

Old November 28th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Johannes Andersen

wrote:

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the 1.86MHz
is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.
Old November 28th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Trev

"Johannes Andersen" wrote in message

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the 1.86MHz
is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

About the equiv of 3.7 MHz.

Providing they have one left at the shop you go to

Old November 28th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Bernard Peek

In message .com,
writes
Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

It's a Core 2 Duo processor, which is brand new. Difficult to predict
just how fast it will be without going through the reviews in recent
magazines. It's probably about as fast as the top Pentium D models.

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti
Old November 28th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
SteveH

"HEATHER-SCOTGIRL" wrote in message
i think it could be cheaper for the spec as especially the processor runs
at 1.8ghz, not fast for a brand new pc nowadays

"Uncle Nobby" wrote in message
Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

AVAST Antivirus: Outbound THIS MESSAGE IS CLEAN
Virus Database (VPS): 0651-2, 28/11/2006
Tested on: 28/11/2006 18:36:35

But it's a Core2 Duo. It's hardly just a 1.8gig CPU, is it?

SteveH

Old November 28th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Dr Zoidberg

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you
want, but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the
1.86MHz is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

About the equiv of 3.7 MHz.

Same as a commodore 64 then?

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old November 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Dr Zoidberg

wrote:
Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

It's not a bad buy at all.
Not earth shattering for the money but it's certainly not significantly
overpriced.

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines.

A 1.86ghz core2 duo processor *is* a relatively new CPU.
The clock speed is lower than the much older 3ghz P4 processors but they
have more pipelines so they achieve more in a single clock cycle , have much
more cache memory and a faster FSB , not to mention the fact that they have
two separate cores so it will be more responsive when running multiple
apps..

It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

Shame it's not NOS then isn't it

Old November 28th 06, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,uk.comp.homebuilt
Paul

Johannes Andersen wrote:

wrote:
Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg
1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the 1.86MHz
is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

The E6300 is not listed in the chart here, but this particular benchmark
scales well with frequency. If you take the benchmark results of the
E6400 Core2 Duo and multiply by 1.86/2.13 (the ratio of the processor
frequencies), you get a benchmark value of about 17000 or so estimated
for the E6300. That is slightly faster than the Pentium D 960 dual core
running at 3.6GHz. So the processor is faster than its clock rate suggests.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=436&chart=158

While that benchmark gives a multiplier of 2x based on effectiveness at
its frequency, not all benchmarks give the same results. A slightly lower
multiplier for the effective clock rate might be in order. Looking at the
benchmarks that best reflect the applications being used, would help.

It is also possible to overclock processors like that, and climb further
up that chart. But with no knowledge about what motherboard is used,
it is hard to say whether the Medion package is overclocking friendly.

The exchange rate today is:

1 British Pound (GBP) = 1.93791 US Dollar (USD)

(http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic)

so the £549.99 is about $1066 USD.

About the only question I have about that system, is whether the video
card is enough or not. The 7650GS doesn't seem to be shipping yet.
And I can't find any specs for the card, although the naming convention
suggests it will be in the same ballpark as the 7600GS. (The fact that
it is "passively cooled" is a warning sign. I like to install an 80mm
fan next to cards like that. I have a couple video cards without fans
on them, and I use an 80mm fan sitting next to them, to keep them
stable while gaming.) It is certainly tempting to look for a
stronger video card..

I tried the HP and Dell UK sites, and they have nothing to compare to
this. (I have to add an £82 WinTV-HVR3000 to get the TV functions.)
So it doesn't look like a bad deal so far.

The difference between pre-built and DIY computers, is with the pre-built
you can get a better price. With the DIY, you get exactly what you want
in the way of components. The best of all worlds would be a build-to-order
PC, if you could get it without the abominable software package that comes
with such machines. A retail Microsoft OS would be transferable, reinstallable,
and all-round friendlier, than the bloated config that comes with a lot
of pre-built machines. I'd rather have my choice of antivirus packages, than
take whatever is bundled with the pre-built machine. Nuking the installed
software, and starting from scratch, is one way to fix it...

Paul