Can Ghost create NTFS partitions on the fly while restoring NTFS images?

Old November 6th 04, 01:34 PM
Jack

Default Can Ghost create NTFS partitions on the fly while restoring NTFS images?

I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard disk.
I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS partition but I
don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my new hard disk first
before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use Windows
XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go through the whole
XP setup process just to create some NTFS partitions

Thanks for any input.

Old November 6th 04, 11:07 PM
Michael Kimmer

Jack wrote:
I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard disk.
I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS partition but I
don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my new hard disk first
before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use Windows
XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go through the whole
XP setup process just to create some NTFS partitions

Thanks for any input.

Ghost v9.0 certainly can when selecting the restore option in the Recovery
Environment!
Ghost v2003 definitely can't!

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old November 6th 04, 11:09 PM
Michael Kimmer

om...

Eric Gisin wrote:
Ghost will gladly restore an NTFS image to any partition type, then
changes it to NTFS.

The OP asked if it is possible to restore an NTFS partition (image) to an
unpartitioned HDD (unallocated space) with Ghost vunknonw!

Old November 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Jack

"Michael Kimmer" wrote in message ...
Jack wrote:
I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard disk.
I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS partition but I
don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my new hard disk first
before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use Windows
XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go through the whole
XP setup process just to create some NTFS partitions

Thanks for any input.

Ghost v9.0 certainly can when selecting the restore option in the Recovery
Environment!
Ghost v2003 definitely can't!

The version of Ghost I have is the one included in Norton SystemWorks
Professional 2004 CD
Old November 8th 04, 10:13 PM
Michael Kimmer

Jack wrote:
I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard
disk. I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS
partition but I don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my
new hard disk first before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use Windows
XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go through the
whole XP setup process just to create some NTFS partitions

Thanks for any input.

Ghost v9.0 certainly can when selecting the restore option in the
Recovery Environment!
Ghost v2003 definitely can't!

The version of Ghost I have is the one included in Norton SystemWorks
Professional 2004 CD

....and that is Norton Ghost 2003...

Old November 8th 04, 10:23 PM
Peter

Jack wrote:
I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard
disk. I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS
partition but I don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my
new hard disk first before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use Windows
XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go through the
whole XP setup process just to create some NTFS partitions

Thanks for any input.

Ghost v9.0 certainly can when selecting the restore option in the
Recovery Environment!
Ghost v2003 definitely can't!

The version of Ghost I have is the one included in Norton SystemWorks
Professional 2004 CD

...and that is Norton Ghost 2003...

From Symantec document:
Windows file systems
- Ghost supports native cloning for the following file systems: FAT8, FAT12,
FAT16, FAT32, FAT64, NTFS.

Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 are the only versions of Ghost that
are able to save images directly to local NTFS partitions. Though older
versions of Ghost can clone NTFS partitions, they cannot save image files
directly to NTFS partitions except when using a corporate version of Ghost
to save images over a network connection that is not peer-to-peer.

Notes:
Ghost 2001 and later, and Ghost 6.0.3 and later, support the NTFS version
that is included in Windows NT and Windows 2000. Only Norton Ghost 2002,
Norton Ghost 2003, Symantec Ghost 7.5, and Symantec Ghost 8.0 support the
NTFS version that is included in Windows XP.

Old November 8th 04, 11:06 PM
Michael Kimmer

Jack wrote:
I need to restore NTFS images to a new, not yet partitioned hard
disk. I know the version of Ghost I have can read/write NTFS
partition but I don't know if I must create NTFS partitions on my
new hard disk first before restoring the images.
The only way I know to create NTFS partition is to use
Windows XP installation CD, but I certainly don't want to go
through the whole XP setup process just to create some NTFS
partitions

Thanks for any input.

Ghost v9.0 certainly can when selecting the restore option in the
Recovery Environment!
Ghost v2003 definitely can't!

The version of Ghost I have is the one included in Norton
SystemWorks Professional 2004 CD

...and that is Norton Ghost 2003...

From Symantec document:
Windows file systems
- Ghost supports native cloning for the following file systems: FAT8,
FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, FAT64, NTFS.

Symantec Ghost 8.0 and Norton Ghost 2003 are the only versions of
Ghost that are able to save images directly to local NTFS partitions.
Though older versions of Ghost can clone NTFS partitions, they cannot
save image files directly to NTFS partitions except when using a
corporate version of Ghost to save images over a network connection
that is not peer-to-peer.

Notes:
Ghost 2001 and later, and Ghost 6.0.3 and later, support the NTFS
version that is included in Windows NT and Windows 2000. Only Norton
Ghost 2002, Norton Ghost 2003, Symantec Ghost 7.5, and Symantec Ghost
8.0 support the NTFS version that is included in Windows XP.

I'm fully aware of the information above...
Please, re-read the OP's question...