Sapphire Theatrix - ATI Theater 550 Pro

Old November 22nd 04, 08:54 PM
Paul Davis

Default Sapphire Theatrix - ATI Theater 550 Pro

I'm considering getting a Sapphire Theatrix TV card to complement my 9200
VIVO, does anyone know of a UK supplier as I can't seem to track one down.
The Theatrix uses ATI's new Theater 550 Pro chip.

Also, I have completely failed to get the Video In component of MMC to work
on Windows ME with my VIVO card - Rage Theater - (despite trying a wide
variety of driver versions and DX 8.1 through to 9c) I've heard of AIW
problems too. Does anyone have any experience of running a Theatrix tv tuner
under WME, does it work?

I was also wondering whether two Rage Theater chips (the 550 Pro in the
Theatrix and a standard Rage Theater in the VIVO)would co-exist happily on a
single system (I remember the Brooktree ones tended not to).

Thanks,
Paul

Old November 24th 04, 09:58 PM
Paul Murphy

"Paul Davis" wrote in message
I'm considering getting a Sapphire Theatrix TV card to complement my 9200
VIVO, does anyone know of a UK supplier as I can't seem to track one down.
The Theatrix uses ATI's new Theater 550 Pro chip.

Also, I have completely failed to get the Video In component of MMC to
work
on Windows ME with my VIVO card - Rage Theater - (despite trying a wide
variety of driver versions and DX 8.1 through to 9c) I've heard of AIW
problems too. Does anyone have any experience of running a Theatrix tv
tuner
under WME, does it work?

I was also wondering whether two Rage Theater chips (the 550 Pro in the
Theatrix and a standard Rage Theater in the VIVO)would co-exist happily on
single system (I remember the Brooktree ones tended not to).

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for the "heads up" on that product - its looks exactly like what I've
been looking for but I have some concerns.

1. That 550 chipset uses Hardware MPEG 2 Encoding whereas the Rage Theatre
(and Theatre 220) rely on software encoding through ATIs MMC Software (or
other software designed for it). I doubt current ATI software would cope
with such a mix (but I'm not sure) - perhaps someone has tried it?

2. Availability in the UK - I note the website photo shows a US/Canadian
card with the threaded aerial connectors. ATI products with tuners usually
turn up firstly in NTSC format for (predominantly) the US and Canadian
markets. Unfortunately the PAL/SECAM version usually turns up several months
later - who knows though, perhaps Sapphire is more on the ball than ATI in
this regard and already have a PAL version being made. The ATI Tv Wonder Pro
has been out for many months (if not a year) in the US and Candian markets
yet a PAL/SECAM version hasn't even been made yet!

My email has been sent to the sales address for the UK agent (on their
website).

Paul (another one).

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Problems with Sapphire Radeon X800 overburner Ati Videocards 0 July 17th 04 12:30 PM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 07:28 PM
'Sapphire' vs ATI 'Proper' - significant differences? Worth Considering (Sapphire)??? Skid Ati Videocards 14 November 11th 03 05:09 PM
Hercules or Sapphire 9800 non-pro? Does it matter? i d o r u Ati Videocards 4 September 6th 03 04:54 PM