CMOS Battery Retainer

Old January 11th 04, 03:53 PM
MH

Default CMOS Battery Retainer

The CMOS battery on one of my motherboards is not secured to the leads. The
battery snaps into its socket, but it needs to be manually pushed downwards
for the computer to retain CMOS settings. Is there a device or tool that
anyone is aware of to keep it in place? I thought of a very small clamp,
one side thin flat and other side a right angle might work, with rubber
fittings on each end, the flat end on the bottom of the motherboard, right
angle pressing battery down, might work. Can't find one though. Thanks.

Old January 11th 04, 05:55 PM

MH wrote:

The CMOS battery on one of my motherboards is not secured to the leads. The
battery snaps into its socket, but it needs to be manually pushed downwards
for the computer to retain CMOS settings. Is there a device or tool that
anyone is aware of to keep it in place? I thought of a very small clamp,
one side thin flat and other side a right angle might work, with rubber
fittings on each end, the flat end on the bottom of the motherboard, right
angle pressing battery down, might work. Can't find one though. Thanks.

If you are dealing with a coin type battery, and you are describing the
fact that the contacts are not making with the battery, slip a dime in
between the top clip and the battery.

If on the other hand your holder is broken and there is no top clip,
the holder can be easily replaced by someone skilled in soldering.

Old January 11th 04, 11:38 PM
kony

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:53:41 GMT, "MH"
wrote:

The CMOS battery on one of my motherboards is not secured to the leads. The
battery snaps into its socket, but it needs to be manually pushed downwards
for the computer to retain CMOS settings. Is there a device or tool that
anyone is aware of to keep it in place? I thought of a very small clamp,
one side thin flat and other side a right angle might work, with rubber
fittings on each end, the flat end on the bottom of the motherboard, right
angle pressing battery down, might work. Can't find one though. Thanks.

A clamp sounds excessive, unnecessary.

Carefully examine the battery holder to determine what's wrong with
it. Most often one side of the plastic has a minor lip or tabs
holding down that side of the battery, while the other side is held by
the metal piece that makes the Positive, + contact point.

If the socket is broken, it's relatively easy to replace. Some boards
even have external battery header so you could plug in another 3V
battery. If it's simply that the metal, negative contact tab is bent
down, after removing the battery you might be able to carefully bend
it upwards a bit.

bad battery -> boot loop Tanya General 6 December 6th 03 08:40 PM
Laptop battery Shannon L General 1 November 20th 03 03:13 AM
bigger flash cards, more battery usage? kony General 0 August 29th 03 09:58 PM
motherboard battery failure? AD C General 4 August 3rd 03 04:50 PM
APC UPS BACK UPS XS 1500 external battery recognition? denton General 0 August 2nd 03 06:14 PM