D620 connections tray crash

Old March 17th 08, 12:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Trooper

Default D620 connections tray crash

I've had wireless problems on this laptop for a while and thought I had
tracked them down and fixed it, but apparently not.

What happens is that every so often my wireless connection drops and
won't reconnect. The wifi light on the laptop has turned itself off,
the activity monitor icon is still on the taskbar but cannot be
interacted with. In the device manager the wireless hardware has a
problem icon and nothing I do can bring it back to life.

All I can do to get it working is to reboot the laptop, which is
inconvenient. I thought it was a problem with concurrent TCP/IP
connection attempts, as there was a warning in the event viewer about
that each time it failed. Upping the limit to 50 from 10 has stopped
that warning, but the wireless still dies every so often, however it
only happens twice a week now, instead of every day. But I no longer
get any errors reported in the event viewer when it fails.

What does happen when I reboot is that a Connections Tray dialog is
displayed as no longer responding, i'm not sure if that is a symptom or
a cause of the wireless failure.

Anybody experienced this before?

T.

Old March 17th 08, 02:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:08:12 -0000, Trooper
wrote:

[...]

Yes. I'd like to help but there are a lot of possibilities that might
cause this and I'll just list some but there are others (my mind is
blank right now).....
a) moved the router
b) telephones, etc.. interferring now
c) newly installed software
d) changed settings in software (firewall, etc...)

This is a well known type problem and Google will be your best friend.
It will document a lot of causes and you will have to eliminate them
for your situation one by one.
Old March 17th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Trooper

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the list, but it happens no matter where I am and isn't a
problem with wireless signal dropout, it's the actual wireless card in
the laptop loccking up until the machine is rebooted.

T.

Old March 17th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Trooper" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Okay, so my immediate questions would be:

- Which wireless card do you have - the Dell or Intel?

- Which application is managing the (card's) connection - WindowsZero or the
Dell wireless utility?

- Have you disabled the power management settings for the card so that it's
getting full power both on battery and AC, and is also not being allowed to
be disabled on battery?

- Have you attempted to download the latest software for your card,
uninstall the current software and then re-install the latest version?

Stew

Old January 7th 09, 02:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jhiltabidel

You described it perfectly -- I have a lab of 20 laptops, Dell D620's
and they all do it. If anyone has a resolution to this, I'd be grateful
for it. I cloned one system to the other 19 so the problem very well
may be a software issue. In fact, I used Ghost and the Universal
Imaging Utility to do the cloning -- it may be that a driver loaded by
UIU is causing the problem. I'm likely to format/reload one of the
systems without UIU and see if the problem continues. We really would
like Windows to manage the network connections but we need one function
of the Intel software which is pre-logon connect so that the system will
join our wireless network before users login, thus allowing them to
login to our domain wirelessly. So far that is the only route I've
found to get it working but possibly at the cost of it not working WELL.

Old January 8th 09, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"jhiltabidel" wrote in message

You described it perfectly -- I have a lab of 20 laptops, Dell D620's
and they all do it. If anyone has a resolution to this, I'd be grateful
for it. I cloned one system to the other 19 so the problem very well
may be a software issue. In fact, I used Ghost and the Universal
Imaging Utility to do the cloning -- it may be that a driver loaded by
UIU is causing the problem. I'm likely to format/reload one of the
systems without UIU and see if the problem continues. We really would
like Windows to manage the network connections but we need one function
of the Intel software which is pre-logon connect so that the system will
join our wireless network before users login, thus allowing them to
login to our domain wirelessly. So far that is the only route I've
found to get it working but possibly at the cost of it not working WELL.

That's a great idea. Try the fresh install and if - IF - you've been using
the Intel ProSet drivers from Dell, you might go directly to the Intel site
and grab the newest version.

OR.....if you are using the newest Intel version from their site, flip back
to the Dell (Intel) version from their site if it's worth the headaches.

Interesting scenario. Best of luck.