Radeon 9600 - lost Direct3D capability

Old August 29th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew Woodward

Default Radeon 9600 - lost Direct3D capability

Hi,

Anyone save me going bald - nearly tearing my hair out ((

Connect3D Radeon 9600 256Mb, Win XP Home SP2

Was having a few problems with an old game I resurrected (Viper Racing),
so decided to install latest drivers from ATI website. Followed
instructions to remove old drivers etc. HOWEVER, when latest drivers
installed, found I had lost Direct3D functions! (reported by dx-diag) No
acceleration available at all. No way to re-enable. Slider on
troubleshooting says all acceleration in use. Tried various solutions
from websites/boards - nothing worked. Also had frequent lock-ups when
rebooting unless in safe mode.

Eventually removed drivers, then cleaned with DriveCleaner Pro.
Installed latest Omega drivers. Same result Removed and cleaned then
reinstalled original (older) drivers. Same result ( Removed and
cleaned and installed many previous versions of both ATI & Omega
drivers. Same result ((

Eventually removed card & replaced with old Inno3D MX2 card. At least
Direct3D now working.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong with 9600 card and/or drivers???

--
Andrew Woodward
To reply via email, replace 'x' with surname

"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your
grandmother."
Albert Einstein
Old August 29th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

[Re]install motherboard chipset drivers.

As the going bald part, remember it takes 14 muscles to frown, and only 2 to
pull the trigger...

"Andrew Woodward" wrote in message
[...]

((

Old August 31st 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew Woodward

First of One wrote:
[Re]install motherboard chipset drivers.

As the going bald part, remember it takes 14 muscles to frown, and only 2 to
pull the trigger...

Thanks,

The main reason it was so frustrating was that I need the PC for a LOT
of work at the moment & I was just trying to get an old game working for
a bit of a break for an hour or so ... I ended up losing a
day-and-a-half I couldn't afford. The worst thing was that even trying
to scroll down an ordinary document would only happen in painfully slow
jumps, you could actually see it re-drawing the screen every few seconds
However, all now working for the time being with the old nVidia card,
so I intend to leave well alone until I know I've got time to spare!

--
Andrew Woodward
To reply by email, replace 'x' with surname