Memory

Old August 27th 05, 11:52 AM
KNOBBER

Default Memory

Hi,

I know as a rule of thumb that when it comes to memory its best to match n
match rather than mix n match, however in one of my machines I have two 256
sticks(crucial) and was thinking of adding a 2x512m/b kit to the machine
which is also crucial .Has anyone here run into any probs or issues by
mixing 2 separate sticks with a kit..

TIA

Regards,

KNOBBER

Old August 29th 05, 03:35 PM
KNOBBER

Thank you for input,

Both sticks are ddr and I presume that you are referring to the dual channel
configuration which at present both sticks are in.If I follow you correctly
the 2x512mb kit will compromise the present dual channel config as all
memory needs to be of the same size,correct?

Regards,

KNOBBER

Old August 31st 05, 06:12 AM
Ludas

Thats Right. In Order to run Dual Channel DDR., You must have two matching
sticks of memory. In Single channel mode the brand or size of memory will
not (should not) affect performance. I currently run 1x512 Hynix and 1x1Gb
corsair both overclocked to 225Mhz at 1.85v in single channel mode. Not a
single parity error or crash in sight.

Old August 31st 05, 09:53 AM
KNOBBER

Ok thanks for confirmation, I thought you were getting at something else
that I was not aware of..

So the long n short of it that I could add this kit but dual channel would
no longer exist and the board would boot as single config by default.

Regards,

KNOBBER