Power required for CUSL-2 with P3

Old February 3rd 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Power required for CUSL-2 with P3

I have a stone age CUSL-2, P3 768mhz. 512meg memory (a 256 and 2 128's),
with an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card and a modem, nothing much else. My
power supply is rated at "170w output " (300w PS) but the fan is very noisy,
and I want to replace the PS, cheaply.

Assuming I don't upgrade this system, how large a power supply do I need?
How do you calculate these things? I don't understand which values to look
for, as I've seen here that the "wattage" isn't the whole story.

Thanks.

Ken

Old February 3rd 06, 06:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

KenV wrote:
I have a stone age CUSL-2, P3 768mhz. 512meg memory (a 256 and 2 128's),
with an ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card and a modem, nothing much else. My
power supply is rated at "170w output " (300w PS) but the fan is very noisy,
and I want to replace the PS, cheaply.

Assuming I don't upgrade this system, how large a power supply do I need?
How do you calculate these things? I don't understand which values to look
for, as I've seen here that the "wattage" isn't the whole story.

Thanks.

Ken

Dear Ken,

if you look on page 41 of the CUSL2 manual at

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/.../cusl2-102.pdf

it says basically 235 watts.

In my old CUSL I used a PC Power and Cooling 275W--but, a quick glance
shows that apparently none of their new PSUs have the -5V line that I
think the CUSL2 needs.

This unit from Newegg does, is quiet according to user reviews:

$30.00 with shipping.

From this list of sub-300W power supplies, looks like you will have
many to choose from at not very high prices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TTR 8=&ATTR9=

Silent PC Review is down right now--they have very good info on quiet
power supplies that would be compatible with the old pin-outs on your mobo--

HTH,

BC

Old February 3rd 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"BC" wrote in message
. com...

This unit from Newegg does, is quiet according to user reviews:

$30.00 with shipping.

From this list of sub-300W power supplies, looks like you will have many
to choose from at not very high prices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TTR 8=&ATTR9=

Silent PC Review is down right now--they have very good info on quiet
power supplies that would be compatible with the old pin-outs on your
mobo--

HTH,

BC,

It helps hugely!

Thatns very much.

Ken

x800xl and Far Cry, disasterous! AAvK Ati Videocards 44 October 14th 05 01:42 PM
P4P800-E Deluxe - saga continues - this time no video post on power-up + different BIOS full screen logos... Technik Asus Motherboards 2 August 28th 05 06:36 AM
Power supply can zap motherboard? Eric Popelka Homebuilt PC's 8 June 18th 05 08:54 PM
P5GD2 Deluxe Ðavïd Asus Motherboards 11 January 14th 05 12:17 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM