P4P800-E Deluxe: Automatic On At Preset Time?

Old May 11th 05, 02:31 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Default P4P800-E Deluxe: Automatic On At Preset Time?

Can't find anything in the Bios settings, but given the sophistication of
everything else it seems logical that the board sb able to turn itself on at a
preset time.

?

Also, can anybody describe "Throttle Mode"? (pg 4-29: "Throttle Slow Clock
Ratio: Allows you to select the duty cycle in throttle mode".

IMHO, Asus' manual isn't half bad - but it could use an index and somebody
should talk to the writer about circular definitions...
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 12th 05, 10:35 AM
Paul

In article , "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Can't find anything in the Bios settings, but given the sophistication of
everything else it seems logical that the board sb able to turn itself on at a
preset time.

?

Also, can anybody describe "Throttle Mode"? (pg 4-29: "Throttle Slow Clock
Ratio: Allows you to select the duty cycle in throttle mode".

IMHO, Asus' manual isn't half bad - but it could use an index and somebody
should talk to the writer about circular definitions...

Power On by RTC alarm [enable] ?

You will have to decide whether you want to allow ACPI to
control the alarm, or use the BIOS to control the alarm.
It could be, with that setting disabled (the default), that
the Windows scheduler will load that register when the
computer is shut down or put to sleep. With the above
setting enabled, you may find the Windows scheduler functionality
is partially disabled or behaves differently. I doubt
both pieces of software can use the same register at the same
time.

As for "Throttle Slow Clock":

I don't really believe this description:
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=0&var2=16

Volume 3 of the Intel Arch Manuals, PDF page 517
"Software Controlled Clock Modulation"

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/253668.htm

PDF page 238 shows the C0 Processor power state using this feature.
http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec-2-0b.pdf

The real question is, does ACPI respect a BIOS setting for this
function ? Or does Bill Gates decide the %throttle.

Now, all you need is some tool that can read the CPU MSR
registers while you are in Windows.

Paul
Old May 12th 05, 05:12 PM
Montana Pete

The only reliable way I have been able to do this is to use an APC
Smart UPS with PowerChute software. It powers my MCE2005 computer down
at night and up every day without fail.

Old May 13th 05, 04:09 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Montana Pete :
The only reliable way I have been able to do this is to use an APC
Smart UPS with PowerChute software. It powers my MCE2005 computer down
at night and up every day without fail.

I'm using PowerChute 1.3, but I don't see anything in PowerChute for scheduling
on/off times. Are you using 1.3 too?
--
PeteCresswell