Partition Magic and NTFS

Old August 25th 05, 07:53 AM
Kevin C.

Default Partition Magic and NTFS

Has anyone tried PM8 with an NTFS drive? I used PM7 on my laptop and while
it worked for the _most_ part, it left some files blanked out, i.e. turned
some 200mb files into 0-byte files. Fortunately my laptop isn't really
important but now I need to make some partition adjustments on my desktop
and the files here are critical, I can't have random files becoming 0 bytes.
Any reports?

Old August 25th 05, 08:33 AM
McSpreader

"Kevin C." wrote in
:

Has anyone tried PM8 with an NTFS drive? I used PM7 on my laptop
and while it worked for the _most_ part, it left some files
blanked out, i.e. turned some 200mb files into 0-byte files.
Fortunately my laptop isn't really important but now I need to
make some partition adjustments on my desktop and the files here
are critical, I can't have random files becoming 0 bytes. Any
reports?

PM8 has worked fine for me on many occasions with NTFS-formatted
disks.

Maybe your laptop's disk was corrupted before using PM7?

Suggest you take a backup and run CHKDSK before using PM8.

Old August 25th 05, 11:03 AM
bxf

Never had this particular problem with PM7 or 8. Furthermore, I haven't
(yet) had ANY problems with PM8, especially the one where it suddenly
decides that some partition table is not valid. And, yes, I am using it
with NTFS.

Old August 25th 05, 12:41 PM
mepe

"Kevin C." wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone tried PM8 with an NTFS drive? I used PM7 on my laptop and while
it worked for the _most_ part, it left some files blanked out, i.e. turned
some 200mb files into 0-byte files. Fortunately my laptop isn't really
important but now I need to make some partition adjustments on my desktop
and the files here are critical, I can't have random files becoming 0

bytes.
Any reports?

maybe back them up before you start then if things go pear shaped they are
not lost???

Old August 25th 05, 07:11 PM
Ge

On 8/25/05 03:53:17, Kevin C. wrote:

Has anyone tried PM8 with an NTFS drive?

I can add to the voices here... Used it quite often (on both 2k and XP
systems) and never had a problem. However, I try to back up anyway before
doing partition work, and in the cases where I can't I still get that cold
feeling in the stomach

Gerhard
Old August 26th 05, 12:55 AM
Ian Roberts

"Kevin C." wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone tried PM8 with an NTFS drive? I used PM7 on my laptop and while
it worked for the _most_ part, it left some files blanked out, i.e. turned
some 200mb files into 0-byte files. Fortunately my laptop isn't really
important but now I need to make some partition adjustments on my desktop
and the files here are critical, I can't have random files becoming 0
bytes.
Any reports?

Hi Kevin

Ive never had a problem using PM7 or 8 with NTFS.

I only have two FAT32 partitions (drive C + G for games) cos I dual boot
win98/XP. All the other (13!!) partitions are NTFS.

Hope this reassures you.

Ian