SMART error ..Must H.Disc be thrown out ?

Old March 28th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Trimble[_2_]

Default SMART error ..Must H.Disc be thrown out ?

@@@@

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...after 18 months of home 6 hour per day
use as the XP system disk.
On a number of occasions it would suddenly freeze
with a few loud clicks until the sys. was restarted ..when a few files
were
found to
be damaged...eventually this damaged some system files & I have had
to get another disk & reinstall everything (not fun !)

This failure was due I have decided, because the drive was positioned
so as
to overheat .
...in a corner of the comp. on top of the DVD burner.

The SMART tester I run shows all the checks as OK except for
"Re-allocated Sector Count" shown as fail..I have Low Level re-
formatted
it with the same SMART test results afterwards .
I'm loath to through it out ..& as it is now as a general purpose 2nd
ary
drive its not done the big click & freeze thing ...I currently have
VISTA
on it just to try VISTA out ..
Should I be sensible & just chuck it ?? It's noisyer than should be
but I have other drives which have had much longer , harder use & seem
fine.

What does the only SMART fail "Re-allocated Sector Count" mean ??
Where can I find an explanation of the SMART codes ???
Thanks Mouse
@@@

Old March 28th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
John Jordan

Trimble wrote:

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...

Oh, just throw it away :-)

So tempted not to reply to the rest of the post...

What does the only SMART fail "Re-allocated Sector Count" mean ??

The re-allocated sector count is the number of sectors on the HD that
have been detected as bad and remapped. A SMART fail probably means that
you have a good few hundred bad sectors, and this usually gets worse.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and dump it.

--
John Jordan
Old March 29th 07, 04:43 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:53:18 +0100, John Jordan
wrote:

Trimble wrote:

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...

Oh, just throw it away :-)

Don't be a dumbass, statisically speaking, the failure rate
is not enough to abandon a drive unless there are typical
symptoms of a problem.

So tempted not to reply to the rest of the post...

What does the only SMART fail "Re-allocated Sector Count" mean ??

The re-allocated sector count is the number of sectors on the HD that
have been detected as bad and remapped. A SMART fail probably means that
you have a good few hundred bad sectors, and this usually gets worse.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and dump it.

Save yourself the bother and quit pretending that bashing a
line of drives implies knowledge. The FACT is, the sheer
number of drives out in the field from OEMs, will make
certain makes and models have higher problem reports without
it being a higher actual problem rate.

This coming from someone who has over a dozen Maxtors
spinning right now and no higher failure rate than other
makes, models. A dozen is actually being conservative,
bashing any certain model is not useful untill you can
attribute a failure to a particular fault point. IF you can
do so, please share that information. Otherwise you are
only a silly troll.

Old March 29th 07, 05:08 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
John Jordan

wrote:

Trimble wrote:

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...

Oh, just throw it away :-)

Don't be a dumbass, statisically speaking, the failure rate
is not enough to abandon a drive unless there are typical
symptoms of a problem.

sigh I remember now. No joking in alt.comp.hardware.

Well, I'd strongly advise ditching any late-model Quantum or Fujitsu
drive that's still (remarkably) running unless you really don't value
your installation, as virtually every one of these drives I've seen in a
customer's PC has later died.

I wouldn't go that far with the Maxtors, but the plus-8 and plus-9
drives certainly do have a much higher than average failure rate, unless
they make up 90% of drives sold in my area in the last five years.

The OP's failure mode is very common with the plus-9s. They last 12-24
months, and then rapidly accumulate bad sectors. I'm not entirely sure
what happens after that, because I replace them at that point.

--
John Jordan
Old March 29th 07, 07:23 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Odie Ferrous

Trimble wrote:

@@@@

with a few loud clicks

That alone is sufficient reason to replace the drive.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old March 29th 07, 07:43 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:
Trimble wrote:

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...

Oh, just throw it away :-)

Don't be a dumbass, statisically speaking, the failure rate
is not enough to abandon a drive unless there are typical
symptoms of a problem.

I would be interested in the source of those statistics. As the ones
collected by Google tell quite a a different story.

http://216.239.37.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

See figure 7.

[...]

Are you OK Kony? You sound a lot like Rod.

Old March 29th 07, 07:45 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Trust No OneŽ

"John Jordan" wrote in message

What does the only SMART fail "Re-allocated Sector Count" mean ??

The re-allocated sector count is the number of sectors on the HD that have
been detected as bad and remapped. A SMART fail probably means that you
have a good few hundred bad sectors, and this usually gets worse.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and dump it.

Nah....

Put it up on Ebay as "untested"

Someone will surely bite.

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old March 29th 07, 08:03 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
TMack

wrote:

Trimble wrote:

I have A Maxtor 120Gig IDE...

Oh, just throw it away :-)

Don't be a dumbass, statisically speaking, the failure rate
is not enough to abandon a drive unless there are typical
symptoms of a problem.

Typical symptoms of a problem would be a clicking noise accompanied by a
SMART message saying the re-allocated sector count has been exceeded. Only
a "dumbass" would ignore such signs of imminent failure. "Throw it away"
(after recovering data) is good advice - any data on the disk will be at
high risk of total loss.

--
Tony
'04 XL1200C, '95 LS650

Old March 29th 07, 09:00 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message
Trimble wrote:

@@@@

with a few loud clicks

That alone is sufficient reason to replace the drive.

Naw... Just zero the drive and run the manufacturers utilities on it for an
extended period. Toss it if it can't even do this.

Don't use it for anything important, maybe for testing fresh OS installs or
as a dedicated swapspace drive.

SMART Error Gilbert Asus Motherboards 4 September 21st 05 05:12 AM
Error burning BARTPE bootable XP disc Maria Ripanykhazova Cdr 5 February 15th 05 04:48 AM
A disc read error occurred Josh Compaq Computers 3 August 20th 04 12:55 AM
A disc read error occurred Josh General Hardware 2 August 19th 04 12:30 AM
SMART error anon5391 Homebuilt PC's 1 August 22nd 03 04:37 PM