A8N-Sli Deluxe Post Issues Part II

Old February 11th 05, 08:27 AM
PJ

Default A8N-Sli Deluxe Post Issues Part II

Here's my setup:

Case: Antec P160
Power Supply: Antec True550 ( using a 20 - 24 pin connector )
Mobo: Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
CPU Fan: Zalman CPS7000B
Memory: Corsair 2x 3200 CMX512-3200XPLT
Hard drives: 2x Western Digital WD740 Raptor
DVD-R: Samsung 16x dual layer
Grafx Card: Leadtek PX6800 GT TDH

After the board did not spit out any more vocal post errors, I exchanged it
at Fry's. From there I took the recommendations in Paul's excellent post.
With the mobo on a piece of cardboard, I carefully put one component in at a
time, switching off and unplugging the power cord and running the a POST
test between each additional component. The power fired up just fine
everytime touching a screw driver to the power pins. CPU, ram, card, usb
keyboard, floppy...all good. Output to the monitor and checking the BIOS, I
confirmed the SATA drive was recognized.

The case comes with a seperate metal plate that attaches to the mobo and is
inserted into the case. So, I attached the mobo to this plate and ran a
POST test ( still outside of the case ) and received a vocal POST error
message, "System failed memory test." With one stick and two. Removing the
plate and everything fires up again just fine. I confirmed that this was
the isolated problem three times. Every time the plate was attached to the
mobo I received the memory error. Every time it was not, the POST ran just
fine. I use an anti-ESB wristband attached to the plate when I attach it
and the plate and mobo sit on a piece of cardboard on my desk. I disconnect
the power cord before I attach it. Another issue I have is that the ASUS EZ
Flash utility does not respond to the ENTER key after pressing Alt+F2.

So, at this point my decision is to have a beer and post here. I greatly
appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you,
PJ

Old February 11th 05, 09:15 AM
RJT

PJ wrote:
[...]

It seems your backplate somehow shorts something somewhere to create the
memory failure. Either that, or the backplate bends the board slightly
causing some contact somewhere to fail. Either way, it's odd...
You could try to create some sort of isolation between the board and the
backplate, like a plastic or paper layer between the two. That'd be my
next move anyway.

No clue why the EZ Flash util doesn't work. So far, I've done all my
BIOS upgrades using the ASUSUPDATE tool in Windows, so can't help ya there.

Hope the beer gives some relief
Old February 11th 05, 09:14 PM
PJ

You're a genius. Because of you I stayed up all night setting up my new
computer and had to come in late to work ;-P.

The mobo was in fact being bent a bit as I screwed it onto the backplate.
Two issues with that....1) the heatsink fan I have has it's own plastic
plate that attaches two the two nipples beside the cpu and this plate
doesn't fit as it should. 2) The mobo backplate has a 1 cm high lip running
along the side of pci slots and the mobo simply must sit along this lip as
the screwholes do not line up if it is inside of it.

I swear...you think these manufacturers would have these basics down by now.
Of the three computers I have put together...I have never had a motherboard
fit easily into the case, despite the research and recommendations I usually
take from tomshardware and the like.

Thanks!

Old February 11th 05, 10:26 PM
PJ

Absolutely...although the initial installation was the fastest I've seen
yet! Love my new setup...

"Ed" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:14:14 -0800, "PJ" wrote:

I swear...you think these manufacturers would have these basics down by

now.
Of the three computers I have put together...I have never had a

motherboard
fit easily into the case, despite the research and recommendations I

usually
take from tomshardware and the like.

Thanks!

Sounds like you go the wrong backplate or something? It should take you
longer to install windows then build the PC! ;p

good luck,
Ed

Old February 12th 05, 10:30 AM
RJT

PJ wrote:
You're a genius.

Hear hear.

Because of you I stayed up all night setting up my new
computer and had to come in late to work ;-P.

Dude, I almost feel guilty... almost.

The mobo was in fact being bent a bit as I screwed it onto the backplate.

snip
I swear...you think these manufacturers would have these basics down by now.
Of the three computers I have put together...I have never had a motherboard
fit easily into the case, despite the research and recommendations I usually
take from tomshardware and the like.

I find the whole concept of a huge plastic or metal box, in which you
consequently shove several components that are sensitive to (static)
electrical currents without any protective means (around the parts I
mean), and use all sorts of different screws, clips, sockets, plugs, and
what more to keep it all together, simply very outdated. I think your
little 'adventure' shows how outdated it really is.
Old February 13th 05, 11:31 PM
Ravi

I just got this MB and assembled in an Antec case with 380 W PS. The
setup will not boot at all. The light on the MB comes on, the fans are
running etc. I used a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter and also plugged in the
12v coonector. I cleared the CMOS several times. I tried connecting the
lime color out line to a speaker to hear the POST message, but nothing
comes on. There is no BIOS beep. I installed a 6600GT PCI-E card but I
guess without any POST code, it may not be relevant. Any help?

I read in another board that trying with a new power supply might
help. Is that true?

Ravi

Old February 15th 05, 10:57 AM
Paul Walker

I swear...you think these manufacturers would have these basics down by
now.
Of the three computers I have put together...I have never had a
motherboard
fit easily into the case, despite the research and recommendations I
usually
take from tomshardware and the like.

I find the whole concept of a huge plastic or metal box, in which you
consequently shove several components that are sensitive to (static)
electrical currents without any protective means (around the parts I
mean), and use all sorts of different screws, clips, sockets, plugs, and
what more to keep it all together, simply very outdated. I think your
little 'adventure' shows how outdated it really is.

Yes, of the 3 times I've put together a computer in the last 10 years, I've
learned something new each time. As far as the physical part of putting
computer together, the only thing I really appreciate are the SATA cables.
Why the hell is the floppy disk not gone yet?

Old February 16th 05, 12:04 PM
Rob Nicholson

Why the hell is the floppy disk not gone yet?

Because Windows 2000 is still around and if you need to press F6 to install
additional drivers to allow the setup program to work (e.g. SATA drivers)
then you must have a floppy disk. The reason? The setup program can *only*
read off the A: drive - you can't tell it (say) to read off another CD-ROM.
It caught me out with a server.

Rob.

Old February 17th 05, 04:29 PM
Andy Lee

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:04:25 +0000 (UTC), "Rob Nicholson"
wrote:

Why the hell is the floppy disk not gone yet?

Because Windows 2000 is still around and if you need to press F6 to install
additional drivers to allow the setup program to work (e.g. SATA drivers)
then you must have a floppy disk. The reason? The setup program can *only*
read off the A: drive - you can't tell it (say) to read off another CD-ROM.
It caught me out with a server.

Rob.

An OEM driver can be incorporated into the Windows Disk it is not an
easy job but there are programs out there that make it easier try a
program called nlite makes slipstreaming SP's easier as well.