E1505 Ordering Question: ***DELL READ THIS***

Old November 5th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Default E1505 Ordering Question: ***DELL READ THIS***

I'm being driven up the wall by questions that I can't get resolved
relative to ordering a Dell E1505. The web site is screwed up, and
trying to talk to the reps is hopeless, they are ignorant and don't even
understand the questions/issues.

**** FIRST ISSUE: LCD screens

The web site shows 4 LCD screesn available for the E1505 (two of the 4
are identical except for "truelife"). But the "Help me choose"
describes only 3 of these, and two of those three are the ones that are
identical. Bottom line, there is no way to find out what one of the 4
options offered is.

The screens offered a

-WXGA without Truelife (1280x800)
-WXGA with Truelife (1280x800)
-WXGA+ with Truelife (??? - never described anywhere)
-WSXGA+ with Truelife (1680x1050)

DELL: The descriptions given under "Help me choose" have to match the
options offered. So, exactly what is WXGA+ ??????

And can anyone tell me if the 1680x1050 just makes everything
absolutely, ridiculously small? Or is it a useable resolution? Would
the WSGA+ option be a good compromise in this regard?

****SECOND ISSUE: Windows Vista Aero (Glass) compatability

This is so damn frustrating, Dell can't get their act together so that a
customer can make an intelligent ordering decision about what will and
will not run Vista with Aero.

There are three video options for the E1505:

-Chipset shared memory video (Intel GMA950)
-ATI X1300
-ATI X1400

If you go by what Dell apparently seems to be telling you in it's
"Vista" guidelines for the E1505, you can only run Vista with Aero on
the E1505 by getting a "Premium ATI or NVidia" video card" (only there
is no NVidia choice for the E1505 at all). The are pretty strong at
implying that the base video (GMA950) won't do it.

But if you try to select the ATI X1300 and the free "Express Upgrade" to
Windows Vista Home Premium with the ATI X1300 video option, you get a
"compatability alert" that says that the X1300 is incompatible with
Vista Home Premium (meaning, presumably, Aero (Glass)). So, apparently,
they are trying to force you into the ATI X1400 choice. Yet, there is
no "compatability warning" if you select the base video (Intel GMA950).

Well, I think that's wrong on two counts:

First, I think that the base video (Intel GMA950) will run Aero by
itself if you have 1GB of memory. Intel says that it will; and the
E1405 is listed by Dell as running Aero, and E1405 comes with GMA950 and
has no video upgrades.

Second, I believe also that the ATI X1300 video system (a $50 upgrade)
will also run Aero, and I can't figure out why Dell gives a
"compatability warning" for the X1300 and Aero.

Dell, could I get some straight answers here? Neither your web site nor
your phone consultants understand either of these issues. So:

-What is the WXGA+ LCD option

-What is the TRUTH on the compatability of the E1505 video options with
Vista Aero. I'm not interested, necessarily, in your RECOMMENDATIONS
(I'm sure you'd prefer that I spend more), I just want to know what will
work, and what won't work. [And MAYBE what will "work better"]

By the way, if I think your web site ordering page for the E1505 is
wrong (regarding Aero compatability), do I have the option to ignore the
"compatability warning" and order the system with a "compatability
warning" anyway? Understanding that if I do that, I'm on my own if it
doesn't work. Or will the "compatability warning" keep the order from
going through at all?
Old November 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
[...]

Barry,

Just to make sure you're aware, no one from Dell will read this. This is a
public newsgroup and there are volunteers here that try to help.

As for the screens, I'll defer to others. As for Aero and Aero Glass (not
exactly the same thing, Glass being 'better'). Glass just gives you things
like the transparent tiled Windows-Tab version of Alt-Tab.

Intel has been very wishy-washy on their official position for the GMA950
and whether it will support Glass. In theory it is capable, but I wouldn't
count on it. If you search Intel's site for GMA950 and Vista, what comes up
is drivers for Vista, but no mention of Glass.

As for the ATI's, if you look at ATI's driver page:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...olderID=571 2

You'll see both the Mobility X1300 and X1400 are listed. It doesn't
specifically mention glass, but I'd be shocked if a 1300 could not do it.
My older 9800 Pro can.

Right now you're at the cusp of support, so answers are still not clear,
since it isn't in production. If you are not in a huge hurry, I'd consider
waiting until the machine comes with Vista, if Vista is important to you.

Old November 5th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Barry Watzman wrote:
[...]

Well Dell doesn't read these posts. This is Usenet not the Dell groups.
However, I'll try to help. WXGA+ is 1440x900.
The compatibility with Vista seems to me to center around the fact that
the X1300 has a max of 128MB of video, 64MB on board 64MB shared.
On the other hand the Intel has up to 224MB all shared, while the X1400
uses up to 256 MB, 128 on board and 128 shared.
Old November 5th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

There is a specific, explicit, unambiguous statement on the Intel web
site that GMA950 will support Aero/Glass. I don't have a link, but I
found it a few weeks ago when I was researching this.

The more ambiguous situation is with GMA900, the predecessor to GMA950.
GMA900 apparently has all of the hardware necessary to support Aero
(meaining Aero/Glass), including 128MB of video memory and Pixel Shader
2. But there currently is no WDDM driver, and at one point Intel had
reportedly said that they would not provide one. But then about 3 weeks
ago there were reports -- unconfirmed -- that they were backtracking on
this and would offer a driver, although possbily not until some time
after Vista was actually shipping. So the situation with GMA900 remains
unclear.

Old November 5th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I understand that this is a Usenet group and that Dell is not explicitly
represented here. But it's nearly a certainty that some Dell employees
do read this newsgroup (unofficially), and thus it's likely that some
posts on this newsgroup are seen by Dell personnel. I've worked for PC
manufacturers, and it's just inconveivable that there are not Dell
employees reading this newsgroup. In the real world, people seek out
things about their own company and products. Most firms even pay money
to a "clipping service" to scour the press and internet for relevant
items and forward those to the company on a weekly or monthly basis.

Old November 5th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

Pen wrote:

Barry Watzman wrote:

[...]

Just remember, last resort "google" it.
Old November 5th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

If you find it, I'd love to see it. It's a big discussion on the Vista
groups. All my Optiplexes (Optipli?) have GMA950 and I doubt I'll ever
upgrade them, but it would be nice to be able to. They drive my TVs.

Tom

Old November 5th 06, 11:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
User N

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message ...
There is a specific, explicit, unambiguous statement on the Intel web
site that GMA950 will support Aero/Glass.

Remember, being able to run Aero Glass and being able to run it well are
two different things. It has long been reported that integrated graphics
solutions would be less than idle for Vista, and in the case of the E1505
Dell is further hampering performance by using DDR2-533 rather than
DDR2-667.

Old November 5th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"User N" wrote in message
. ..

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
There is a specific, explicit, unambiguous statement on the Intel web
site that GMA950 will support Aero/Glass.

Remember, being able to run Aero Glass and being able to run it well are
two different things. It has long been reported that integrated graphics
solutions would be less than idle for Vista, and in the case of the E1505
Dell is further hampering performance by using DDR2-533 rather than
DDR2-667.

The GMA950 (Intel 945) is more powerful than I expected. I use it to drive
my HDTVs and it handles 1080p flawlessly. I was very surprised.

Tom

Old November 6th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
User N

"Tom Scales" wrote in message ...

"User N" wrote in message
. ..

Remember, being able to run Aero Glass and being able to run it well are
two different things. It has long been reported that integrated graphics
solutions would be less than idle for Vista, and in the case of the E1505
Dell is further hampering performance by using DDR2-533 rather than
DDR2-667.

The GMA950 (Intel 945) is more powerful than I expected. I use it to drive
my HDTVs and it handles 1080p flawlessly. I was very surprised.

I question whether video decoding/display performance and 3D graphics
performance are closely linked. It seems to me that it would be better to
compare Vista Aero Glass requirements to a game, in that with both you
have alot of 3D objects to render with textures, lighting/shadows, etc. I
think I saw you say you played with Vista. Did you try it on a GMA950
equipped system and perform any interesting experiments?