DVD Burner Problem

Old August 30th 05, 08:29 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

smh wrote:
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

smh wrote:

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

If I swich to View | Devices by Connection, I see my two DVD drives under the
Primary Ultra DMA Channel and my Zip 250 drive under the Secondary Ultra DMA
Channel correctly.

Still have Zip drive installed? That's the source of your problem.

You are probably right. I am just curious about what you know about this problem.

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally able to
burn DVDs.

Doesn't it spell r-e-l-i-e-f?

It did until the Zip drive stopped working.

One program, the free version of DeepBurner, was able to burn files on the DVD
but then was not able to Eject, even though it said that it did, after which I
could not open my DVD drive. After I rebooted I was able to open the DVD drive
and the files that were burned were on it when I next booted back to Win2k.

The Nero demo version was the worst failure, unable to do practically anything
and full of bugs, like telling me repeatedly that my drive had data and, after I
told it to erase the data, repeating the same thing again ad nauseam without
doing anything. It also hung up in the Lead-Something state forever when burning
some files on the DVD and eventually I was able to kill it, although stopping it
was a PITA. This may be a demo version but it sure does not sound as if Nero is
very good.

And you said the Samsung was crappy, too.

No, I am not being derogatory. It may well be the hardware setup. It just did
not work properly. My remark regarding the Samsung was because it was not
working, and I was just annoyed. You wised me up to the fact that it was not the
DVD but the VIA hardware, and I appreciate it.

Finally I was able to use Paragon ISO Burner to burn files from my hard disk to
a DVD-RW 4X disk successfully and it successfully ejected the disk when it was
finished. I will next try to use it to burn an ISO image.

However my zip drive now no longer works properly. I set the Zip drive to PIO
Mode 1 in the BIOS, as per Via's instructions. Without the Via IDE Miniport
Driver I could not set the PIO Mode in Win2k to PIO Mode 3, as I could through
the Via driver, but I could set it to PIO Mode as opposed to DMA mode. However
the zip drive just hangs after a while when attempting to copy files to it.

It sounds like you are saying that with a Zip drive I can not burn CDs, so to be
able to use my burner I must give up the zip drive. It seems there should be
some way around this problem. While I can now burn CDs I do not want to give up
my zip drive if possible.

In order for the Zip drive to function properly you need the driver.

If I reinstall the IDE Miniport driver, the CD burner stops working again.

Reinstall it and see if Paragon still able to burn. If it doesn't, see
if rebooting with a zip disk in the drive makes any difference.

OK, I will try this, but even if it works it seems an unfortunate solution.

If it
still doesn't, I'm outa ideas except to say check out Iomega/Zip/Via
forums for a newer driver.

There is no other driver from Via. I have asked on the Via Arena forum about
this problem but no one has responded. I guess because it is an old chipset they
do not feel it is worth helping out anymore, or maybe they know of the conflict
between DVD burner and Zip drive, and there is no software solution for it.

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks very much. Perhaps I should just give
up on my zip drive and just burn CDs instead to backup or move data. I still
have a sneaking suspicion that, from what you have told me of Nero being top
notch, something is either still wrong, which may be simply having the Zip drive
there and the PIO modes, or the Nero demo version is buggy a bit.

I am going to just set the zip drive to normal DMA, in the BIOS and under Win2k,
and see what happens with it and the DVD burner. Perhaps Microsoft Win2k updates
have fixed the problem entirely and Via's previous advice is now just dead
wrong. They do say that the Miniport driver is legacy, so i will assume the
advice they gave for it and the Zip drive, is so also since it can no longer be
found on their web site.

I tend to doubt that an IOMega update will do anything. There have been numerous
ones since the zip drive problem first was documented, and I have kept up with
the new installations pretty thoroughly. If they had a fix on their end, it
would probably have already appeared long ago.
Old August 30th 05, 08:32 PM
Edward Diener No Spam

Richard Hopkins wrote:
"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message...

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally
able to burn DVDs.

Cool.

One program, the free version of DeepBurner, was able to burn files on
the DVD but then was not able to Eject, even though it said that it did,

Sounds like you still have issues related to the drivers or the hardware
itself then.

This may be a demo version but it sure does not sound as if Nero is
very good.

Nah, Nero is about the best, most powerful, most compatible burning
suite there is. If it doesn't work for you, it's probably worth finding
out why, as chances are it's a problem with your particular setup than
Nero itself.

It sounds like you are saying that with a Zip drive I can not burn
CDs, so to be able to use my burner I must give up the zip drive.

That may be the ultimate solution for you, but you shouldn't give up too
soon.

It seems there should be some way around this problem. While I can
now burn CDs I do not want to give up my zip drive if possible.

And you shouldn't have to. Most controller-floptical-optical writer
combinations work fine together. Your problem may be a mutual hardware
incompatibility, it may be drivers. It may be as simple as making sure
that the Zip and the DVD-RW drive are on separate branches of the
controller (if you haven't done so already).

Unfortunately they alread are. The zip drive is the master on my secondary
controller, with no slave, and the DVD drives are both on my primary controller.

Stick with it, as chances are you'll be able to get everything working
together.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish Via would say something, since I posted the
problem on one of their Via Arena forums, but it is an old chipset so I think
they are not very much concerned.
Old August 30th 05, 08:59 PM
Baxter Tocher

"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in
message news
s** wrote:
. --------------------------------------
M*** R******, were you born with
"S*** A*****" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Any chance of cutting that drivel off the top when you post a reply? Most of
us are fed up with the ess-emm-aitch's pathetic squealing.

Thanks.

--
Baxter

Old August 30th 05, 10:31 PM
smh

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

If I swich to View | Devices by Connection, I see my two DVD drives under the
Primary Ultra DMA Channel and my Zip 250 drive under the Secondary Ultra DMA
Channel correctly.

Still have Zip drive installed? That's the source of your problem.

You are probably right. I am just curious about what you know about this problem.

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the VIA Miniport Driver I am finally able to
burn DVDs.

Doesn't it spell r-e-l-i-e-f?

It did until the Zip drive stopped working.

You're thinking your bottle is half empty. I think your bottle is half
full. g

And you said the Samsung was crappy, too. BFG ===

No, I am not being derogatory. It may well be the hardware setup. It just did
not work properly. My remark regarding the Samsung was because it was not
working, and I was just annoyed. You wised me up to the fact that it was not the
DVD but the VIA hardware, and I appreciate it.

That was said in jest. Should have put a smiley at the end.

In order for the Zip drive to function properly you need the driver.

If I reinstall the IDE Miniport driver, the CD burner stops working again.

Your situation is like someone facing a rock or hard place.

[...]

You summed up the situation you are in -- either this or that, but not
both. If I were in your situation, I will copy all the Zip's, tranfer
to DVD's and use DVD only.
Old August 30th 05, 10:32 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Baxter Tocher (Pipsqueak) squeaked:

Any chance of cutting that drivel off the top when you post a reply? Most of
us are fed up with the ess-emm-aitch's pathetic squealing.

(Heard of kill file, Pipsqueak?)

Instead of squeaking like a stuck pig, why don't you prove ANY of the
following is a LIBEL, pipsqueak?

Don't understand why you pipsqueaks are unable to do so when all you
need to do is copy & paste the proof of misquotes Mikey claimed to
have. That's all it takes. It's that simple. It's that easy.

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the following is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old August 30th 05, 10:59 PM
dadiOH

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
Richard Hopkins wrote:
And you shouldn't have to. Most controller-floptical-optical writer
combinations work fine together. Your problem may be a mutual
hardware incompatibility, it may be drivers. It may be as simple as
making sure that the Zip and the DVD-RW drive are on separate
branches of the controller (if you haven't done so already).

Unfortunately they alread are. The zip drive is the master on my
secondary controller, with no slave, and the DVD drives are both on
my primary controller.

Where's your HD?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 31st 05, 01:03 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

dadiOH wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

Richard Hopkins wrote:

And you shouldn't have to. Most controller-floptical-optical writer
combinations work fine together. Your problem may be a mutual
hardware incompatibility, it may be drivers. It may be as simple as
making sure that the Zip and the DVD-RW drive are on separate
branches of the controller (if you haven't done so already).

Unfortunately they alread are. The zip drive is the master on my
secondary controller, with no slave, and the DVD drives are both on
my primary controller.

Where's your HD?

HPT 374 Raid controller, 4 of them.
Old August 31st 05, 01:17 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

smh wrote:

I tend to doubt that an IOMega update will do anything. There have been numerous
ones since the zip drive problem first was documented, and I have kept up with
the new installations pretty thoroughly. If they had a fix on their end, it
would probably have already appeared long ago.

You summed up the situation you are in -- either this or that, but not
both. If I were in your situation, I will copy all the Zip's, tranfer
to DVD's and use DVD only.

When I reset my zip drive to dma mode in Wink and the BIOS, everything appears
to be working properly finally. I can write to the zip drive without problems
and I can burn to my DVD Writer. Of course I haven't done each more than once so
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue to work.

I guess I should have uninstalled my Via Miniport Driver and set my zip drive
back to DMA a while back, but you would think that Via would have issued an
update to their previous web page about this telling people what to do, or at
least answered my query on the forum. I will be smart enough in the future to
use Nvidia mobos and ignore Via from now on, and hopefully I will not have such
foolish problems.

Thanks very much pointing me in the right direction that this was a Via problem
and not a problem with my DVD drive.
Old August 31st 05, 01:20 AM
Edward Diener No Spam

Richard Hopkins wrote:
"Edward Diener No Spam" wrote in

It seems there should be some way around this problem. While I can
now burn CDs I do not want to give up my zip drive if possible.

And you shouldn't have to. Most controller-floptical-optical writer
combinations work fine together. Your problem may be a mutual hardware
incompatibility, it may be drivers. It may be as simple as making sure
that the Zip and the DVD-RW drive are on separate branches of the
controller (if you haven't done so already).

Stick with it, as chances are you'll be able to get everything working
together.

Removing the Via Miniport IDE driver and setting my zip drive back to DMA, both
in the BIOS and under Win2k, appears to have solved the problem for writing to
the zip drive and burning to the DVD. Of course I am hoping it does not reoccur
as I try now to work with both from time to time.
Old August 31st 05, 07:00 AM
smh

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:

I tend to doubt that an IOMega update will do anything. There have been numerous
ones since the zip drive problem first was documented, and I have kept up with
the new installations pretty thoroughly. If they had a fix on their end, it
would probably have already appeared long ago.

You summed up the situation you are in -- either this or that, but not
both. If I were in your situation, I will copy all the Zip's, tranfer
to DVD's and use DVD only.

When I reset my zip drive to dma mode in Wink and the BIOS, everything appears
to be working properly finally. I can write to the zip drive without problems
and I can burn to my DVD Writer. Of course I haven't done each more than once so
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue to work.

Let's hope so.

I guess I should have uninstalled my Via Miniport Driver and set my zip drive
back to DMA a while back, but you would think that Via would have issued an
update to their previous web page about this telling people what to do, or at
least answered my query on the forum. I will be smart enough in the future to
use Nvidia mobos and ignore Via from now on, and hopefully I will not have such
foolish problems.

The Zip drive problem I read about was with Intel chipsets. And I
wouldn't be surprised if the Via driver was written by Iomega.

Thanks very much pointing me in the right direction that this was a Via problem
and not a problem with my DVD drive.

You are welcome. But you are the one who did the real work. Pat
yourself also.

cd burner problem Eric General 0 February 6th 05 02:40 PM
GA7N400 Pro (not Pro2) problem - advice requested Eddie B. Gigabyte Motherboards 4 January 8th 05 02:17 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 04:10 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM