Pause Between Tracks

Old January 28th 04, 06:14 PM
Subliminal Demise

Default Pause Between Tracks

I listen to a lot of dance/trance cds. I download them or I buy them
and rip them, either way I've been collecting them for a good while
onto my HDD. Now, I am not talking about that 2 second pause between
the tracks. I burn my albums back to cd-rs using Nero 6, Disk at
Once, and I even tell it to have no pause. Regardless, I cant seem to
get rid of that millisecond pause, i can't seem to make it make a
smooth transition from one track to another; as they were on the
original cds I ripped them from. I've checked my files and they were
ripped correctly with no spaces at start or finish. Regardless, I
think it is just Nero. Does anyone know of any software which will
sort of autodetect spaces between tracks and patch them up? That
isn't really even the problem, the tracks have no spaces, but i just
cant get it to make that smooth transition from track to track; I have
tested on multiple media and burners including dvd burners, and I know
its Nero. I need another software solution that can help me with
this. Software meant to burn audio cds, Nero is wonderful but i'm
aiming to be able to rip an original disc to mp3 (tracks separated
into files) then put them back onto a cdr without a bulky transition..
Please, if you can help me, email me or post back. Thanks
Old January 28th 04, 09:28 PM
Theo

(Subliminal Demise) wrote in
om:

[...]

Others here can explain it much better but maybe the ends of the tracks
are not matching the end of the last data block (the proper term eludes
me). So when written back as a CDA, the burner fills the missing space
with zeros... and you get blank spots.
Old January 29th 04, 02:18 AM
Troy

I may have read this wrong but....

I think your problem lies with it being an MP3 it takes time to go to the
next track on MP3 players.You may need to make it one continuous track in
order for it to play properly on an MP3 player.

If it does this in WAV format then maybe you need to edit the beginning and
end of the WAV a little more.

If its not either of these 2 things it got to be a software issue.

Good Luck

om...

Old January 29th 04, 03:58 AM
Mike Richter

Subliminal Demise wrote:
[...]

There is no sense in using a lossy format, such as MP3, for what you
seem to be doing. Among the problems it generates is that the track
boundaries are not preserved, leading to a situation such as you
describe. That is in addition to loading the system for compression and
decompression.

The problem is not Nero; you can use another program in the same way and
get the same results. Rip to WAV to get rid of your problem, then
compress the WAVs to MP3 if you want to save them in that format as
well. If you're trying to write an MP3 disc without interruption, Troy's
reply is fitting. Moving from one file to another on a computer disc
requires seeks which inevitably interrupt the flow. On a hard drive, the
interruption may be negligible but on a CD-ROM it is significant.

Note that seeks are avoided on CD-DA by not using files at all. The
audio is in a continuous data stream; the TOC points to the start
address of a track, but one can play through the track boundary without
interruption because only the data stream is being played.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 29th 04, 04:29 AM
Rick Pali

"Subliminal Demise" wrote

I have tested on multiple media and burners including
dvd burners, and I know its Nero.

From reading things here, I gather most burning software burns data in full
frames and if only a partial frame is present, silence is used to fill the
time. If that is indeed the problem, I've seen Feurio recommended as the
only burning software that can overcome the problem.

I haven't used it myself, but it's highly regarded for audio burning.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old January 29th 04, 10:53 AM
Bill

From reading things here, I gather most burning software burns data in

full
frames and if only a partial frame is present, silence is used to fill the
time. If that is indeed the problem, I've seen Feurio recommended as the
only burning software that can overcome the problem.

RecordNow Max, bundled with my Sony DRU-510A drive,also works beautifully
when burning these type of tracks. So did CD Extreme, an earlier version of
the same software, which came bundled with the Sony CRX-160E drive that I
purchased in 2001.

Sadly, the title appears to have been acquired by Sonic of Japan, and
they're now selling a totally revamped version. It has fewer features, and
seems to have nothing in common with the older editions. I downloaded it as
a free "update" back in December, disliked it immediately, and went back to
the version furnished with my drive. It may still work with continuous
tracks, but I never gave it a try as I didn't like the interface or the
reduced feature set.

The original RecordNow software, version 4.5, still appears at the Stomp
website, but clicking to buy it simply displays a "temporarily unavailable"
error message.

Old January 29th 04, 09:20 PM
Mike Richter

Rick Pali wrote:

From reading things here, I gather most burning software burns data in full
frames and if only a partial frame is present, silence is used to fill the
time. If that is indeed the problem, I've seen Feurio recommended as the
only burning software that can overcome the problem.

I haven't used it myself, but it's highly regarded for audio burning.

Something has to fill the track. In some older software, whatever was
lying around on the disc after the audio finished was used. Today, all
software I know just fills with zeroes - which is not a happy solution
either, but is better than random numbers.

No software can 'overcome' the 'problem'. There is no problem. Tracks
must end and begin on block boundaries. If the data do not fit, no
software can make them do so.

When you know how to write a track address in the TOC with half bits,
quarter bits and so on, the 'problem' will be amenable to solution.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 29th 04, 09:31 PM
XPG

Today, all
software I know just fills with zeroes - which is not a happy solution
either, but is better than random numbers.

Feurio does it.
It's as easy as filling the last samples of the track with the first samples
of the following track.
It's the only way to have gapless transitions from that kind of WAV files
and that's what Feurio does.

It also offers the option of filling with silence.
www.feurio.com

Nero is wonderful but i'm
aiming to be able to rip an original disc to mp3 (tracks separated
into files) then put them back onto a cdr without a bulky transition..

That's not possible.
If you rip to MP3 format, small silences will be added to the start and end
of track.
You must use WAV format.

Old January 30th 04, 12:12 AM
Rick Pali

"Mike Richter" wrote:

No software can 'overcome' the 'problem'. There is no
problem. Tracks must end and begin on block boundaries.
If the data do not fit, no software can make them do so.

I see you haven't used Feurio

When you know how to write a track address in the TOC
with half bits, quarter bits and so on, the 'problem' will be
amenable to solution.

Thankfully others with more imagination than you and I are writing software.
I can't say I would've thought of the solution they've built into the
program.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old January 30th 04, 01:12 AM
Troy

I think wahat you are talking about is cross fading.It can be done a few
different ways with different types of software.Some burning software does
this and it can be done with multi track WAV editors also.

The main problem that was being addressed was that the poster could not get
the 1 or 2 second gap between songs in MP3 format even though his origional
WAV files had no silence at the beginning or end of the song.

The problem is that with MP3 players they take time to go from track to
track.This has nothing to do with software or MP3 software adding in
silence.This is a hardware issue.The player is ending one MP3 and taking
time to load the next.

This can be fixed by editing all your tracks in WAV files and joining them
together into one big WAV file then encoding them to MP3.You can add cross
fades in before you encode to MP3 and this will give you the effect you
want.Try using Cool Edite Pro or a similar type multitrack program for the
best results.

If you leave them in WAV format you will be able to use crossfades and still
be able to add a marker to seperate your songs.This way you can use your
track selection on your CD player.I would recomend doing it this way.It
takes up more CDs but hey......they're cheap!!!!

Rick Pali wrote in message
news