Data CDs

Old April 15th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Data CDs

I need to save documents from Microsoft Word and Pagemaker on a CD-RW,
then be able to use the CD in another computer, make changes, and save
back to the same CD. Who can tell me what software to buy to do this?

I could do this with Easy CD Creator 5 but it is not compatible with
Windows XP Pro which I have now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve this prolixing
problem.

Old April 15th 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

The only way to do this is with packet-writing software such as InCD (Nero)
or DirectCD (Roxio). Neither of these options is reliable, but it's your
only choice.

Both PC's must have CDRW drives, and the same versions of the same software
installed.

oups.com...

Old April 15th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Dan G" wrote in message
The only way to do this is with packet-writing software such as InCD
(Nero)
or DirectCD (Roxio). Neither of these options is reliable, but it's your
only choice.

Both PC's must have CDRW drives, and the same versions of the same
software
installed.

"Smoky Mountain Writer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to save documents from Microsoft Word and Pagemaker on a CD-RW,
then be able to use the CD in another computer, make changes, and save
back to the same CD. Who can tell me what software to buy to do this?

I could do this with Easy CD Creator 5 but it is not compatible with
Windows XP Pro which I have now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve this prolixing
problem.

You don't have to use packet writing. Just add extra sessions to an existing
cd-r or cd-rw. With the latter you can erase and start over when full.
You can download burn4free, the one I used to use and like. Some people like
deepburner. I had trouble with burnatonce for multi seesion although it
seemed to work for other users. These are all free. If you have problems
sharing writes between two machine, use two cd's and only write a given cd
in it's machine. Shared reading shouldn't be a problem..
Dave Cohen

Old April 15th 06, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Thank you for taking time to reply. I've tried Roxio 7.5. Recording in
CD-RW goes smoothly, but when I make changes and click on save, I get
the message "This is a read only file. Word cannot save, or create a
new file."

I tried "Save as" and get the same message.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Old April 15th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Old April 15th 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Smoky Mountain Writer wrote:

Thank you for taking time to reply. I've tried Roxio 7.5. Recording in
CD-RW goes smoothly, but when I make changes and click on save, I get
the message "This is a read only file. Word cannot save, or create a
new file."

I tried "Save as" and get the same message.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

I think what happens is that when files are stored on cd they are
marked as read only. You could try checking that on each file on the
drive, see if it helps
--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
Old April 15th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Smoky Mountain Writer" ) writes:
Thank you for taking time to reply. I've tried Roxio 7.5. Recording in
CD-RW goes smoothly, but when I make changes and click on save, I get
the message "This is a read only file. Word cannot save, or create a
new file."

I tried "Save as" and get the same message.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

I didn't want to put Roxio or Nero pakcet software on my computer so I
switched to a thumb dirve for Word Perfect and Corel DRaw files, which
have the same problem. I haven't figured a way to archive them except on
a hard drive, or a CD-RW, which XP Home reads (but won't write). Time to
dig out the ole Zip drive.

Brendan

Old April 16th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Today Smoky Mountain Writer commented courteously on the
subject at hand

I need to save documents from Microsoft Word and Pagemaker
on a CD-RW, then be able to use the CD in another computer,
make changes, and save back to the same CD. Who can tell me
what software to buy to do this?

Start by not doing what you propose. Use CD-R and not RW, don't
try to write, then write more, then write more. This will work,
but not necessarily every time, and it is an invitation to
create a coaster which would be a major PITA if the two PCs are
geographically distant. RWs are very popular, so they must work
a large percentage of the time for most people, but I gave up
long ago. Today, a 100 spindle gets down in the 25 cent-per-disc
range so a few extra quid is well spent for increased
reliability.

I could do this with Easy CD Creator 5 but it is not
compatible with Windows XP Pro which I have now.

You can get a patch for XP from Roxio's web site. But, learn
from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/ try to read discs
burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it /will/ crash it to a BSOD!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve this
prolixing problem.

"Perplexing??

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry Ford
Old April 16th 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Today Dan G commented courteously on the subject at hand

The only way to do this is with packet-writing software
such as InCD (Nero) or DirectCD (Roxio). Neither of these
options is reliable, but it's your only choice.

wrt to DirectCD, boy do I agree! Besides glacially slow reads,
sooner or later - usually sooner - you wind up with an
unreadable coaster.

.