RAID!

Old June 9th 05, 03:53 AM
_|_|_

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:37:01 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

Is HighPoint 370 (or newer) software-based?

Are you saying there is a motherboard using the Highpoint?

Epox D3VA. An old VIA-Apollo-133 dual-CPU mobo (like dual PIII-800).

I should get one of those! g Actually, a benchmark on TomsHardware
OC'd a Pentium-M (relative of PIII) and it beat the fastest P4s and
AMDs. Intel should take note.

If the chipset on your PIII motherboard was made by Hightpoint, there
may well have been some processing on board. I can't imagine a modern
'consumer' motherboard containing the equivalent of a $400 Raid
processor, though.

Nor can I imagine anyone doing anything but running Raid 1 on a normal
motherboard Raid controller. I suppose there may be some advantage in
Raid 0 if it's necessary to create a 500+gb volume, but it can't be
very fast.

Old June 10th 05, 04:34 AM
_LL

After having trouble tracing cables back to a given drive and
determining which drive letter that represents, it occured to me that
someone must have written a utility to do this already.

IOW, show that a Seagate 400gb is attached as master on cable 1 of the
Adaptec ATA controller, etc. Kinda like CPU-Z but for drives.

Anyone know if this exists?

Old June 10th 05, 06:39 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Windows? Start/Run/devmgmnt.msc/Show Devices By Connection/expand the tree.

UNIXen? Try "atacontrol".

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old June 12th 05, 02:41 AM
_LL

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:39:24 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

Windows? Start/Run/devmgmnt.msc/Show Devices By Connection/expand the tree.

UNIXen? Try "atacontrol".

Brilliant. Thanks, Maxim. Embarrassing that I never noticed that
option in devmgmnt before.

In the course of looking around, I found this program:
http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
It doesn't do specifically what I wanted, but it may be of use
to some. It does show detailed info on drives. Unfortunately,
it doesn't find devices on other controllers (3ware and Adaptec
PCI controllers, both mapped as SCSI).

IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Need help with SATA RAID 1 failure on A7N8X Delux Cameron Asus Motherboards 10 September 6th 04 11:50 PM
Asus P4C800 Deluxe ATA SATA and RAID Promise FastTrack 378 Drivers and more. Julian Asus Motherboards 2 August 11th 04 12:43 PM
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP and Promise SX4000 RAID Controller Old Dude Gigabyte Motherboards 4 November 12th 03 07:26 PM
RAID-1 reliability marcodeo Storage (alternative) 26 August 30th 03 09:53 PM