What's the modern reliable, rewritable media?

Old September 8th 04, 08:25 AM
~Dude17~

Default What's the modern reliable, rewritable media?

Anyone know what's the modern high capacity rewritable media that can
be written in a manner like a floppy drive using drag 'n drop that is
very reliable?

I'd like something that can be permanently archived and can be used
over and over again without a significant reliability compromise.
Those flash ROM USB pen drives allows pretty good drag 'n drop copying
and certainly better than zip drive for repeated use, but I'm
skeptical of its long term stability.

CD-RW is out of question. The disc itself is like eraser & paper.
It's useful cycle is rated at 1,000 cycles, but real life life
expectancy is disgustingly low. After as little as 20 cycles, error
rate goes up much like paper wearing out after multiple
erasing. When it's used in packet write format, the stored data is
extremely unstable and slighest problem can wipe out everything. In
my personal experience, packet write was less reliable than a floppy.
Its capacity is comparable to a 640MB Magneto-optical disc but MO
system is leap years ahead in reliability, but for some reason I never
see them.

CD-R, DVD-R, etc are nice for write once in one session applications,
but what is the modern media that is high capacity, can be accessed
like a hard drive/floppy drive and very reliable?
Old September 8th 04, 01:34 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
~Dude17~ wrote:

[...]

Megneto-optical (MO) disks used to be the technology used when losing
data meant someone got fired, I looked recently and see the disks are
now as big a 1GB. The problem with all of these is the cost of
the media.

In this market "good enough" drives out "great", and CDR disks seem to
be considered good enough.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old September 8th 04, 07:23 PM
Faeandar

On 8 Sep 2004 00:25:35 -0700, (~Dude17~) wrote:

[...]

Tape and cheaper disk. Tape media can easily be written to 20 times,
for the most part. But like all media is subject to odd failures.
The best guarentee you have is raided drives. Use tier2 storage for
things like this. Can be done cheaply, as cheap as tape in some
cases.

~F
Old September 9th 04, 06:39 AM
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder

Clinging to sanity, ~Dude17~ mumbled in his beard:

[...]

external USB hard disks or hard disks in removable drive bays. The
former is more portable, hot swappable, and doesn't require you to keep
a drive bay installed.

Long term: I have many disks that are 5+ years old, but I haven't done
things like letting a disk lying around unused for years before using
again. If you want longer than that, go for MO, but I guess even then
you'll have to evaluate your media and data formats after 5 years or so
as old technologies become unavailable and new software can't read the
old data (obviously this depends heavily on what data you're using -
I'd expect a thing like jpg to be around for a long time, but I'm not
so sure about, day, divx or wmv, or of course, the office format of the
day.)

cheers
- -- vbi

- --

Old September 9th 04, 02:02 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

[...]

MO is widely used in business for archival storage and, IMO, if you
should find an MO disk in your sock drawer 50 years from now you'll be
able to send it sonewhere to be converted to whatever the current
media is.

I thing the popular standard data formats, like jpg and html, will be
readable forever. C code never dies, and can be ported to the next
great system, this applies to Open Source implementation. All it takes
is one hacker, somewhere on the planet taht needs the same format you do
to port the code.

Proprietery stuff like Quicken data worry me. You have to match the
application version to the data, and it has to run on an OS the vendor
approves of. I actually see emulators as the solution here.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old September 11th 04, 03:33 AM
Ron Reaugh

"~Dude17~" wrote in message
om...

Anyone know what's the modern high capacity rewritable media that can
be written in a manner like a floppy drive using drag 'n drop that is
very reliable?

Yeah, he
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...ail,ewbfroogle

VERY fast and relaible and 400GB for $400. It's good for at least 5 years
and then can be copied to replacement media.

I'd like something that can be permanently archived

Define permanent.

and can be used
over and over again without a significant reliability compromise.
Those flash ROM USB pen drives allows pretty good drag 'n drop copying
and certainly better than zip drive for repeated use, but I'm
skeptical of its long term stability.

Define "long term".

Old September 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Ron Reaugh wrote:
"~Dude17~" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know what's the modern high capacity rewritable media that can
be written in a manner like a floppy drive using drag 'n drop that is
very reliable?

Yeah, he [link to 400G hard drive]

By a really careful reading of the original question, yes, I suppose,
but if someone's looking for something "like a floppy" then they're
likely to need some of the other useful characteristics of a floppy as
well: size, price, and physical robustness.

This is fine for an emergency backup. It's not archival, it's not
reliable or robust enough for that. But for more "floppy-like" uses a
combination of flash media for drag-and-drop and CDR/DVD*R for larger
capacities when you have the time to go through a burn.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All
Old September 18th 04, 12:54 PM
~Dude17~

(Al Dykes) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

MO is widely used in business for archival storage and, IMO, if you
should find an MO disk in your sock drawer 50 years from now you'll be
able to send it sonewhere to be converted to whatever the current
media is.

I thing the popular standard data formats, like jpg and html, will be
readable forever. C code never dies, and can be ported to the next
great system, this applies to Open Source implementation. All it takes
is one hacker, somewhere on the planet taht needs the same format you do
to port the code.

Proprietery stuff like Quicken data worry me. You have to match the
application version to the data, and it has to run on an OS the vendor
approves of. I actually see emulators as the solution here.

What I'd like to do is make frequent backup of things like weekly
backup of My Documents folder and the such. CD-Rs are ok for one time
backup, but it gets hard to keep track of what's changed, a file
that's been modified can't be updated on a CD-R. I can do
multisession and keep on adding, but reliability is questionable.

CD-RW is out of question as its reliability is too poor. Same goes
for FLASH drive. I need something that can be written/accessed like
the flash drive or floppy while offering the advantage of archival,
non volatile storage offered by CD-R. Zip and Jaz might offer the
convenience and capacity, but they're very robust in my opinion. I
had a Zip 100 and it was highly unreliable.

Can you guys think of anything that will meet all of these beside M.O?
Old September 18th 04, 01:28 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
~Dude17~ wrote:

(Al Dykes) wrote in message ...
[...]

If losing data is unacceptable, multiple generations of media
are required, no matter how much you trust the technology.

Do you need the latest version of any file or do you need to go back
to the version of a specific date ?

I like "delta" backups" A delta is like an incremental but all the
new/modified files since the last FULL backup are written to media.
This obviously grows over the month. Asit approachs a full media
unit (CD, these days) I do a full backup (disk to disk) and
the next day's delta backup is nearly empty.

Does your data fit on a CD ? Burning it all into one CD a day,
writing the date on it, and puting it in the drawer in date order
doesn;t seem like a bad system. It works for me. If your data
is larger than a CD then dividing it up by fle type or folder
name to fit the chucks onto CDs might work.

There are server-class backup systems that catalog every file
on all media and let you search by all sorts of criteria.
If you search by file name it tells you all files by that
name and which media they are on. I've never seen
this on a single-user application.

--
Al Dykes

Reliable DVD-R media? Noozer General 13 October 5th 04 02:06 AM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
fast cdrw media for my 52/32/52 lite on and I've got macs with 10x cdrws hupjack Cdr 2 April 17th 04 04:52 PM
Yamaha CRW-F1, Rewritable media problems, Nero 5.5.10.50 FC Cdr 1 October 20th 03 10:02 AM