Major Computer Problems

Old November 12th 03, 06:20 PM
Toronto Garage Door Company

Default Major Computer Problems

I live in Toronto Canada, and I have some serious computer problems
First I will explain why I am angry .. then I will explain the problems I am
having with my computer lol

I tried installing Macromedia Dreamweaver...Fireworks and Microsoft Office
2003. Each time I got an error saying that I require a newer version of
windows. Windows 2000 or later!

So normally I would NEVER use WinME...but I have some serious problems with
my computer. I've taken it in to the repair shop a few times...but to no
avail..they say nothing is wrong with my board...chip...or memory. The
problems have been active since the day I purchased my computer...and as
stupid as I am, I did not send it back to them, and I lost out on warranty.
I'll eat whatever I have to in order to get it working properly however,
since it was my fault for not returning it!

What happens is I constantly get page faults when browsing with Internet
Explorer. Explorer will crash quite frequently, and I have to restart my
browser all over again. A few times it was some sort of HTML.dll
error....but not every time.

This is VERY annoying...but something I learned to live with. I have tried
installing WinXP on this computer...but for some reason after a month or two
... I will end up getting a blue code stop error (C00002x or whatever the
number is) ...or the computer starts acting VERY wierd...like losing all
icons on my desktop, and can't get them back no matter what I do .. and I'm
back to format and reinstalling an operating system....IF that even works.

My computer is a 1.9ghz p4...80gig HD .. 256ddr ram .. geforce 4 mx440 ...
and the thing runs 100000000X worse than my 700mhz hp used to lol

When I first purchased it, while installing an OS, the computer would go
blue code stop during install every time. When I took it in to a repair
shop, they said that when they unplugged my DVD Rom, it seemed to smooth the
problem out. They said there was some sort of conflict. So I learned to
live without the DVD Rom.

Then, I took the computer in to get it repaired again when my motherboard
shorted out. They replaced the board, and while they were doing that I
explained to them my problems with programs constantly crashing, and my OS
issues. They said that it could be either a memory problem, or a cpu
problem. They ran tests on the memory and cpu....everything checked out. I
tried using a different video card.....still problems.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am at a complete loss!!!
Thanks!
Arjay

Old November 12th 03, 06:56 PM
Skid

Nobody mentioned a possible power supply problem?

Every symptom you report could be caused by a faulty or overloaded power
supply, and they're relatively cheap to replace. You should get at least a
brand-name 300-watt psu. Likewise, investing in a good UPS (not a cheap
power strip) will smooth out the spikes and dips in household wiring that
can cause freezes.

A clean install of Win XP, after backing up and reformatting the drive,
would result in a more stable and reliable system than Win ME could ever
hope to provide. Don't try upgrading over the ME install -- the odds are
significantly worse than Russian roulette.

"Toronto Garage Door Company" wrote in
message
.cable.rogers.com...

Old November 12th 03, 08:22 PM
Rob

[...]

And this has what to do with overclocking?
The only place that you cross posted this to that was close to being correct
is the 24hoursupport.helpdesk NG.

Old November 12th 03, 10:10 PM
jaster

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:20:58 +0000, Toronto Garage Door Company while
doing time wrote:

[...]

First, you need to repost your message to alt.public.microsoft.windowme or
windowsxp and better alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt-pc.

As someone else posted you could have a power supply, memory,
harddrive or other problem with the PC. Removing the DVD adds suspicion
about the power supply. Windows is a mess and WindowsME was worst than
Windows95.

As another poster says, backup critical files, format hd and do clean
install of WindowsXP.

Remove PC covers and check the how much power is supplied on each rail by
your power supply. Then search Andatech and Tomshardare or Google for a
chart to see how much power you PC is using.

Download memtest86, install it to a bootable floppy to check if your
memory is working properly. A significant number of errors after an 1hr
or 2 of testing indicates bad memory.
Old December 7th 03, 02:46 AM
--= Ö§âmâ ßíñ Këñ0ßí =--

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, "Toronto Garage Door Company"
wrote:

So normally I would NEVER use WinME...but I have some serious problems with
my computer. I've taken it in to the repair shop a few times...but to no
avail..they say nothing is wrong with my board...chip...or memory.

Repair shop!? REPAIR SHOP! How dare you mention those words in this
newsgroup! They are an insult to every overclocker here! You can repost this
vile filth to comp.newbie.fool.*******.microsoft if you want an answer.
Old December 7th 03, 06:54 AM
~misfit~

Company" wrote:

So normally I would NEVER use WinME...but I have some serious
problems with my computer. I've taken it in to the repair shop a few
times...but to no avail..they say nothing is wrong with my
board...chip...or memory.

Repair shop!? REPAIR SHOP! How dare you mention those words in this
newsgroup! They are an insult to every overclocker here! You can
repost this vile filth to comp.newbie.fool.*******.microsoft if you
want an answer.

LOL. I have to agree although I wouldn't have put it quite like that.
--
~misfit~

---