Hitachi 7K250 any good?

Old December 5th 03, 12:22 AM
Jerry

Default Hitachi 7K250 any good?

Since Hitachi took over IBM's Hard Drives, are they better or much the
same.

TIA

Jerry
Old December 5th 03, 02:43 AM
Rod Speed

Jerry wrote in message

Since Hitachi took over IBM's Hard Drives,
are they better or much the same.

No evidence of any significant difference yet.

Old December 5th 03, 08:10 PM
Pace

Performance is best for 7200rpm HDD.
However beware of a loud whining noise every now and then.

Old December 9th 03, 08:55 PM
Marc de Vries

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:22:07 -0700, Jerry wrote:

Since Hitachi took over IBM's Hard Drives, are they better or much the
same.

Still great disks. (not counting a certain production batch of 75GXP
IBM disks of course :-))

At the moment the 7K250 is easily the fastest 7200 rpm disk that you
can buy. It also very quiet. (Quite a large difference to my DiamonMax
Plus9 disks)
Old December 11th 03, 11:23 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"John H." wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:55:21 +0100, Marc de Vries wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:22:07 -0700, Jerry wrote:

Since Hitachi took over IBM's Hard Drives, are they better or much
the same.

Still great disks. (not counting a certain production batch of 75GXP
IBM disks of course :-))

At the moment the 7K250 is easily the fastest 7200 rpm disk that you
can buy. It also very quiet. (Quite a large difference to my DiamonMax
Plus9 disks)

What kind of sound does it make when moving the heads to prevent heat
buildup?

Anything like the 1-2 second sound every 10 minutes for the 180GXP?

In 10 minutes the heads will have lighted up themselfs and that
particular platter area if staying in the same place for that long.
Old December 13th 03, 11:20 AM
Marc de Vries

wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:22:07 -0700, Jerry wrote:

Since Hitachi took over IBM's Hard Drives, are they better or much the
same.

Still great disks. (not counting a certain production batch of 75GXP
IBM disks of course :-))

At the moment the 7K250 is easily the fastest 7200 rpm disk that you
can buy. It also very quiet. (Quite a large difference to my DiamonMax
Plus9 disks)

What kind of sound does it make when moving the heads to prevent heat
buildup? Anything like the 1-2 second sound every 10 minutes for the
180GXP?

Don't know. I haven't heard that sound on my disk yet. (Installed it
about two weeks ago)
Old December 15th 03, 10:01 AM
Marc de Vries

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:21:20 GMT, John H. wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:20:05 +0100, Marc de Vries
wrote:

At the moment the 7K250 is easily the fastest 7200 rpm disk that you
can buy. It also very quiet. (Quite a large difference to my DiamonMax
Plus9 disks)

What kind of sound does it make when moving the heads to prevent heat
buildup? Anything like the 1-2 second sound every 10 minutes for the
180GXP?

Don't know. I haven't heard that sound on my disk yet. (Installed it
about two weeks ago)

You would have been very much aware of it the first day if the 7K250 was
making the same sound as the 180GXP. Like I said, for the 180GXP it's a
(very audible) 1 or 2 second sound every 10 minutes.

I know that 180GXP sound. (I also owned one of those)
It's a good thing I knew the 180GXP makes strange noise before I
bought one, or I would have been very worried when I first heard it
:-)

But my 7K250 hasn't make any noise like that. Maybe it still moves the
heads to prevent heat buildup, but if so, it does it without making
noise now.

This is good to know. Maybe IBM/Hitachi drives are worth buying again.

The 7K250 is certainly my first choice at the moment.

Marc
Old December 15th 03, 09:54 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Marc de Vries" wrote in message
[...]

Of course it does. And they always have been.

Old December 16th 03, 04:56 AM
Rod Speed

John H wrote in message
Folkert Rienstra wrote
Marc de Vries wrote
John H. wrote
Marc de Vries wrote

[...]

I don't get the point of your two posts.

He's deliberately cryptic quite a bit of the time.

Its one way of trolling.

You took the bait.

Are you saying the 180GXP sounds isn't to prevent heat build-up?

No, he's saying that specific steps have been taken to
prevent the heads sitting on the one cylinder for long
times, so you dont get local heating, for years now.

He's just saying that while the 180GXP is audible when
it moves the heads around to prevent that, the 7K250 isnt.

If not, what's the drive doing for that 1-2 seconds,

Preventing local heat buildup when
the heads arent doing anything.

and why don't other drives need to do it?

They do. They just dont make that stupid
noise when doing that that the 180GXP does.

The fool that 'designed' the 180GXP to do it so
noisily that the user wonders if its normal should
have been taken out the back and shot.

Maybe he has and thats why the 7K250 does it quietly.

Old December 16th 03, 07:53 AM
Rod Speed

John H wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

The fool that 'designed' the 180GXP to do it
so noisily that the user wonders if its normal
should have been taken out the back and shot.

It would be the firmware that's doing it.

Duh.

An upgrade should be able to 'fix' the problem...someday.

They mostly dont bother with that sort of thing.

The 7K250 is only 2.6 bels for one disk (but I'm so
confused - the specs don't say if that's power or
pressure ) compared to your Samsung's 2.7 bels.

And even you should have been able to grasp that
that sort of measurement doesnt even register
those sorts of irritating but relatively rare noises.

It's faster too.

Bet you'd never be able to pick it in a proper double
blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark.

You'd certainly be able to pick that terminal
stupidity with the deliberate head activity tho.

Might not be a bad drive to buy.

Dont care for Hitachi's warranty policys myself.

And when they've never had the balls to fess up to
what the problem was with the infamous GXP drives,
they can take their drives and shove them where
the sun dont shine as far as I am concerned.

I'll buy drives manufacturered by operations with a clue myself.

I've decided I don't want to buy another ATA drive.

The main problem currently is that there are few
native SATA drives buyable. Most are bridged drives.

Maybe by spring time I've be able to buy a BTX case and MB
and all SATA drives, including a writable SATA DVD/CD drive
(strange there aren't any SATA optical drives on the market yet).

Nothing strange about that.