Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems

Old September 11th 04, 09:00 PM
Jiri Kuukasjärvi

Default Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems

Hi!

I bought a Sapphire Radeon 9800SE 128M 256 bit VGA card a week ago.
After installing it to my computer (details later) I noticed some audio
problems.. Listening to -for example- mp3- music, the song played for
few seconds. Then sound got lost for a second or two, and came back..
Some files wouldn´t play at all. Similar problems with DivX/Xvid video..
Ecept no audio at all.

I also got some strange problems with corrupted data on my HD. The Hard
drive turned out to be defective, because later I couldn´t get the
system to work well even with the old VGA card. I replaced the HD, and
installed all software. Now the machine works, but with the old VGA card.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with my new vga card?
Is it defective, or incompatible with my system?

I wrote to Shuttle technical help, and they mentioned something aboat
voltage problems with some Sapphire VGA cards.. Any info on that?
(The sapphire card requires a secondary power connector to be connected.
I Didn´t even test without it)

What I´v tested:
* New bios
* Several vga driver versions
* Couple of sound driver versions
* 3-4 repairing installations of OS
* 2 clean installs of WinXP Pro & SP1
* 350W PSU (Shuttle original is 200W)

My computer:
* Shuttle SB61G2 SFF
* Intel P4 2.6GHz HT 800MHz FSB
* 2 x Twinmos 256M DDR running Dual channel
* Samsung 160G SATA- drive (first drive)
* Maxtor 160G SATA- drive (replacement)
* LG DVD+-R/RD/RAM writer
* 200W PSU
* XFX GF FX5200 128M VGA- card (The one with wich this machine works)
* Sapphire Radeon 9800SE 128M 256bit card (wich I´m trying to get to work)
* Windows XP Pro

Quite long description.. Hope I didn´t make too many errors in my english..

- Jiri K.
Old September 12th 04, 08:38 AM
ElJerid

"Jiri Kuukasjärvi" wrote in message
[...]

Don't think your VGA card is defective.
I would guess a power supply problem or maybe an IRQ conflict. Last point is
easy to check out. For the power supply, 350 W could be enough (200W is
definitively insufficient!) is it's a brand name, but many psu's mention a
peak power handling on one lines. What happens when many lines have a
continuing important power demand? With your config, I would recommand a
400-450 W psu (Antec, Enermax, Zalmann,...). Did you check if there is a
separate power supply on your VGA card (my Sapphire 9800 Pro has it) ? Maybe
you forgot to connect it, and that could explain your problem.

Old September 12th 04, 11:17 AM
Jiri Kuukasjärvi

ElJerid wrote:
[...]

Hi, the 350W (or actually 360W) PSU that I tested was Chieftec
HPC-360-202. I don´t know how good quality unit that is, but at least
the readings show that is has power..

Yes, there is separate power supply (floppy drive power connector) on
the Sapphire card. It was connected every time the card was in my
computer. I didn´t even test the card without it installed.

IRQ problem... I´ll have to check that. But if it´s an IRQ problem, is
there anything to do for that?

- Jiri K.