motherboard replacement (97UJY) for Dell Dimension 4100

Old December 14th 03, 07:20 PM
Lon Lowen

Default motherboard replacement (97UJY) for Dell Dimension 4100

Greetings. I am trying to hunt down a replacement motherboard for a
Dell Dimension 4100 computer. This is a Dell motherboard (part
number (97UJY) based on the Intel D815E board designed for a PIII
933MHz chip. I'd need one without the built-in video and sound.
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these old motherboard?

I could just buy an Intel board, but I understand that the front
panel and power supply connectors are Dell propietary, therefore,
will not work with the original Dimemsion 4100 case.

Any help regarding a source to purchase an old Dimension 4100
board would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 14th 03, 10:02 PM
goop

for what it would cost you it might be cheaper to find a used 4100 system
and pull the motherboard...

Old December 15th 03, 12:10 AM
Christopher Muto

at your own risk you could try ebay... and don't worry about the on board
sound or video as either or both can be disabled. but what makes you think
the motherboard is bad? the real problem could be any number of things...

Old December 15th 03, 08:34 AM
Lon Lowen

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
at your own risk you could try ebay... and don't worry about the on board
sound or video as either or both can be disabled. but what makes you think
the motherboard is bad? the real problem could be any number of things...

Yea, I've got a search saved in ebay hoping to find one. Thanks for
the tip regarding the disabling of the video and audio. I wasn't
sure. Why replace the mobo? Well...since you asked...this is an
interesting problem, imho...

I do a bit of computer work on the side for my co-workers. Most are
computer-phobic , so I help with software upgrades, installing new
CD/DVD writers, advise on what to buy, etc, etc, etc. This one
gent has a Dell Dimension 4100 machine (with 933MHz processor)
that he bought in August 2000. It serves him well and he really
doesn't want to upgrade or buy another computer.

BACKGROUND:

The gent, however, decides he wants to upgrade his memory so goes
out and buys a 256MB module and follows the directions to open
up his case and puts in his DIMM (in the open second DIMM slot).
After he puts it all back together, the thing wouldn't boot for him.
He only has two DIMM slots, so I advise him to try swapping his
original 128MB module into the second DIMM slot and put the new 256MB
module in the first DIMM slot. Still not booting. I tell him to
normalize it (put the 128MB back in the first slot and remove his
new 256MB module). It still won't boot. so I took over and have
been working on it.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

When the computer is powered on, it sounds like it's trying to POST,
but doesn't complete the POST cycle. The fans spin, the hard drive
spins, the DVD and the CD-RW drive spin. But, no video signal and
the computer freezes as it doesn't go through a boot cycle. The
"A B C D" lights on the back are completely black (not lit green
or amber), but there is the green light on the front console of
the machine...power button. If I press the reset button, it sounds
like it's doing POST (hard drive spins, CD drives spin for a second,
etc), but still no video and still no normal booting activity...after
just a few seconds what sounds like POST, it just sits and does
nothing. If I hold down the power button on the front for the
usual 3 seconds, it will power off ok and subsequently power-on ok
by using the button.

FOLLOWUP:

- The gent says he grounded himself before installing the DIMMs
and he was sure he didn't touch or move anything else.
- I of course check the obvious (make sure the DIMM isn't physically
damaged and no bent pins in the DIMM port). All looks ok.
- I check the cabling and make sure everything is plugged into
where it should be and everything is snapped in nice and tight.
All is ok.
- As a memory installation was the only thing changed, I think it's
possible the gent installed the wrong memory type and could
cause a problem with CMOS. I've heard of this happening, so
I pull the CMOS battery (wait over night) and put it back in.
Still not booting.
- I try the original 128MB DIMM memory module in another computer
and it works fine.
- I remove all the peripherals (Ethernet NIC, sound card, AGP video
card) and it still won't boot.
- I remove the IDE connections and it still won't boot. So, I'm
at the point where literally everything is removed except the
processor and the single 128MB DIMM and the symptom is still the
same (partial POST with spinning hard-drive, CDs, no "A B C D"
lights) and a frozen computer.
- I even remove the one DIMM and the same thing is happening.
- I then take out the processor and check it over. All looks ok,
but I don't have another machine to test it with.
- I completely remove the entire motherboard, clean with compressed
air, examine it for any cracks. All is ok.
- I put it all back together, and the problem still persists.
Partial POST, no "A B C D" lights, no video output. No boot
sequence...nothing.

I search in the Dell web forums, dejanews, and other places and
conclude the mobo is fried. What do you think? Any input greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

PS - Here's the original configuration...

System Summary

Dimension 4100
Ship Date: 8/24/2000
Active Limited Warranty Expiration: OUT OF WARRANTY

NOTE: The information contained below relates to this system's
original configuration as sold when new.

Quantity Part # Part Description
1 14VFM Processor, 80526, 933, 256, 133, Fiber Channel
1 97UJY Card (Circuit), Planar (Motherboard),
No Sound, Dimension, 4100
1 5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6FT, SJT, Unshielded
1 2317Y Pad, Mouse, Dimension, Dell Americas Organization
1 463CD Keyboard, 104, 6P, United States, NMB, RubberDome,
Small Box
1 886MJ Mouse, Personal System 2, 6P, 2BTN, Wheel,
MICROSOFT
1 554WF Dual In-Line Memory Module, 128, 133M,
16X64, 4K, 168
1 181UR Card (Circuit), Multi-Media, Audio, CRTV-4780,
Front Audio Jack
1 54JUC Kit, Compact Diskette, Audio, Music Match
1 57589 Cable, Audio, MOLEX TO MOLEX
1 413PE Digital Video Disk Drive, 680M, 12X, IDE (Integrated
Drive Electronics), 5.25" Form Factor, Samsung
1 98483 Cable, Dorado/Athens/Tualatin/Almodor, Compact Disk
Drive, EIDE (Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics),
Dual, Klinger
1 8506P Kit, Speaker, Multi-Media, 120V60H, ACS340
1 5740C Cable, Auxiliary, Internal, Modem, 4C
1 610DF Kit, Modem, V90, DFV, TITAN, Dimension
1 969NU Modem, V.90, Internal, Data/Fax/Voice, Asia, Latin
America, North America, TITAN
1 9830U Card (Circuit), Video, 32M, NV10, 4X AGP
1 8376T Display, Multiscan, Color, 19, Dual, P991, DA0-GSA
1 98480 Cable, Dorado/Athens/Tualatin/Almodor, Floppy Drive,
Klinger
1 9886C Floppy Drive, 1.44M, 3.5" Form Factor, 3MD, No Bezel,
NEC
1 54EUG Hard Drive, 45G, 7.2K, IDE (Integrated Drive
Electronics), 1IN, No Controller/No Cables,
IBM-Telstro
1 5828D Assembly, Cable, ATA66, 2DROP, Klinger
1 3357U Kit, Software, WKS-STE2K, 5.25" Form Factor,
Original Equipment Mfgr., England/English
1 66FRH Kit, Software, NAV-2K, 5.25" Form Factor, Original
Equipment Mfgr., England/English
1 01XDG Kit, Software, AOL5.0, Backup, 1YR, 5.25" Form
Factor, United States
1 76PFK Kit, Compact Diskette, Operating System, Dell 98,
Second Edition, England/English
1 1377P Compact Diskette, Blank, Compact Diskette
Writer, 1X/4X
1 4377P Compact Diskette, Blank, Compact Disk Recordable,
1-PK
1 979NK Compact Disk Read Write, 680M, IDE (Integrated
Drive Electronics), 5.25" Form Factor, 8X, SONY, 1.0N
1 063YN Printer/Printer Accessories, Cable, IEEE-1284,
Light, Parallel

Old December 15th 03, 11:51 AM
S.Lewis

"Lon Lowen" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

snip

Given your description, I'd inspect the DIMM sockets for bent pins. It does
indeed sound as if something improper has caused the mb to cash in.

That machine can also use the mb out of the XPS R or T, but those board use
Slot 1 CPUs versus the socket 370 he currently has.

The gent probably should call you *first* in the future before attempting
his upgrades.

Stew

Old December 15th 03, 12:58 PM
dmac

try pulling the battery out of it with power cable unplugged. then press
power button. let it sit for a few minutes.
this will reset cmos. there may be a jumper to do this with, but pulling
battery will work.
then plug it all back in and use original memory in the original slot-set it
up like it was before the failure.
it is worth the few minutes to try this before spending money.

--
Dave M
Radeon 9800Pro 256mb

Old December 15th 03, 02:06 PM
S.Lewis

"dmac" wrote in message ...
try pulling the battery out of it with power cable unplugged. then press
power button. let it sit for a few minutes.
this will reset cmos. there may be a jumper to do this with, but pulling
battery will work.
then plug it all back in and use original memory in the original slot-set

it
up like it was before the failure.
it is worth the few minutes to try this before spending money.

snip

He's already popped the battery as well as pulled the mb from the chassis,
so he's removed CMOS from all power sources. But you're right in that it
couldn't hurt.

For the OP, here's also another part number (D/PN) for the Dim4100 mb (w/o
integrated sound) 709GC. This is the board in my 4100.

Good luck,

Stew

Old December 15th 03, 02:27 PM
Christopher Muto

your troubleshooting sounds comprehensive. perhaps too much pressure was
placed on the motherboard and it is internally cracked. i suspect it is
indeed dead, but you would just start with out anything connected to the
system board (including the removal of mouse and keyboard and listen for
beeps and look at the light code. then add the original memory module
(alternating from slot one to slot two), the floppy drive, keyboard and
mouse and see if you can boot and check the status lights. it essentially
sounds like you did this but perhaps in a different order... before i say
that you should get a new motherboard i wonder if he may have replaced the
power supply with a 'better' generic one... the power connector to the
motherboard is the same but the results are what you are describing here...

Old December 17th 03, 05:57 PM
Lon Lowen

Goop, Dave, Stew, Christopher, et al... Thanks for your help and
advice. I ended up ordering a spare part replacement (800-372-3355)
motherboard from Dell. It's a mobo upgrade and comes with a 1GHz
chip for $155.00. My co-worker was very happy with this, so that's
the route I'm going in.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed when I wire in the new motherboard.

Thanks again, --lon

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
your troubleshooting sounds comprehensive. perhaps too much pressure was
placed on the motherboard and it is internally cracked. i suspect it is
indeed dead, but you would just start with out anything connected to the
system board (including the removal of mouse and keyboard and listen for
beeps and look at the light code. then add the original memory module
(alternating from slot one to slot two), the floppy drive, keyboard and
mouse and see if you can boot and check the status lights. it essentially
sounds like you did this but perhaps in a different order... before i say
that you should get a new motherboard i wonder if he may have replaced the
power supply with a 'better' generic one... the power connector to the
motherboard is the same but the results are what you are describing here...

Old December 18th 03, 06:26 AM
Christopher Muto

if the board doesn't solve the problem then i would consider the
powersupply. it is under $30 from dell and is proprietary so not found
elsewhere for less. dell parts come with a 30 day money back and 90 day
replacement warranty. so if the mb isn't the answer hold on to it, get the
replacement powersupply and see what combination solves the problem.. then
return what you don't need.

Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

"Lon Lowen" wrote in message

"Lon Lowen" wrote in message
Greetings. I am trying to hunt down a replacement motherboard for a
Dell Dimension 4100 computer. This is a Dell motherboard (part
number (97UJY) based on the Intel D815E board designed for a PIII
933MHz chip. I'd need one without the built-in video and sound.
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these old motherboard?

I could just buy an Intel board, but I understand that the front
panel and power supply connectors are Dell propietary, therefore,
will not work with the original Dimemsion 4100 case.

Any help regarding a source to purchase an old Dimension 4100
board would be greatly appreciated.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Replacement motherboard @drian General 3 November 12th 03 04:49 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 01:40 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
Motherboard replacement dilemma... KILOWATT General 8 September 9th 03 01:54 AM