Anyone have a A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard?

Old January 2nd 05, 01:09 AM
Najum Hussain

Default Anyone have a A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard?

Anyone have one and if you do what do you think? anyway i can get the
max performance out of it?

Naj
Old January 2nd 05, 05:14 AM
tecknotot

I have one and think its great... and i only have 1 video card
too....it has alot of other features that will be utilized very soon.

Old January 2nd 05, 12:14 PM
Najum Hussain

Im using a Asus EAX800 XT Extreme PE as my graphics cards. Ive set the
PEG at Auto at the moment Performance is amazing il use the SLI sometime
in the future. but i need to start utilizing the features on it as well.
Do you use any sound card?

Naj

Old January 2nd 05, 07:23 PM
tecknotot

No, Im currently using the built-in sound card because I had an Audigy
1 and I thought the on-board had newer and better functionality.

But I dont get sound in Half-LIfe 2 unless I change it to 2 speakers
and still trying to figure out why. Do you have Half-Life 2?

Old January 2nd 05, 07:34 PM
Najum

I have half life 2 and have updated it using the new catalyst drivers.
Its very smooth and i play at high res. Ive never used the onboard audio
codec i disbaled it in order to use the my own sound card Soundblaster
audigy z platinum pro. So far so good no problems.

Naj

Old January 2nd 05, 08:39 PM
Robert Hancock

tecknotot wrote:
No, Im currently using the built-in sound card because I had an Audigy
1 and I thought the on-board had newer and better functionality.

But I dont get sound in Half-LIfe 2 unless I change it to 2 speakers
and still trying to figure out why. Do you have Half-Life 2?

The onboard sound on the A8N-SLI Deluxe is basically just 8-channel AC97
audio, nothing special. Most sound cards will probably have more features.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old January 4th 05, 02:59 PM
RJT

Najum Hussain wrote:
Anyone have one and if you do what do you think? anyway i can get the
max performance out of it?

Got one with a PCIe 6800GT - super. Just the one card for now, SLI comes
later. It's a great mobo if you ask me, just one prob: the nForce
firewall seems to block certain websites... can't seem to fix that. And
it keeps prompting me to disconnect my SATA drives in a raid array. But
that seems to be normal.

RJT
Old January 6th 05, 10:38 AM
Nom

tecknotot wrote:
No, Im currently using the built-in sound card because I had an Audigy
1 and I thought the on-board had newer and better functionality.

But I dont get sound in Half-LIfe 2 unless I change it to 2 speakers
and still trying to figure out why. Do you have Half-Life 2?

Disable the onboard sound (it's just Ghetto-Spec AC97) and use your
much-better Audigy 1.

Old January 10th 05, 06:46 AM
fsda

Najum Hussain wrote in news:41d749cb$0$21324
:

Anyone have one and if you do what do you think? anyway i can get the
max performance out of it?

Naj

I have had nothing but stability problems with mine. This is with a
plenty big enough power supply (Enermax EG701AX) and four sticks of
Kingston RAM (2GB total) right off the official Asus Memory QVL list. No
overclocking.

I'm running an AMD FX-55 with factory heatsink.

I have a big Silverstone case with huge fans - temperatures are very low
inside the case and cooling works very well.

Can't figure out why I have so poor stability.

Originally, with a single eVGA 6800GT PCIe card, I would get a hardware
lockup about once a day. The lockup seemed to always be accompanied by
a repeating sound. I'm mostly playing Half-Life 2 and Microsoft Flight
Simulator 9.1 right now, so usually the lockups occured there, but I did
get at least one lockup when web browsing, accompanied by a repeating
sound that happened to be playing at the time. Oh yeah, also got the
same crash in Need for Speed Underground 2.

I have an Adaptec 2940UW, a Maxtor ATA/133 card, and a Sound Blaster
Audigy 2 ZS card. Using the XP SP2 drivers for the first two cards, and
the lastest Sound Blaster drivers.

Meanwhile, my second eVGA 6800GT arrived, and I of course installed it
and went SLI.

Now I get even more frequent crashes - several times a day. These
crashes do not involve repeating sound. I've hardware locked twice now
during initial loading of Half-Life 2 (loading the actual program, after
the "Valve" advertisement), but there was no sound repeating - just a
hardare lockup. I've done less game playing due to trying to
troubleshoot the problem, so most of my crashes now occur during
standard Windows browsing, or while the computer is just sitting there.
These usually start with massive video corruption - i.e. the screen is
all scrambled. This is followed by the screen going completely black
and the machine totally locking up (i.e. Windows XP is frozen at that
point. I have used NT/2000/XP enough to recognize when the video driver
is simply crashed and the rest of the machine continues to run. That is
not the case here - once the screen goes black, the computer is totally
frozen).

Suspecting a hardware conflict, I removed the Adaptec and Maxtor cards,
and this did not help. I then removed the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and
uninstalled it's software, so that now all I have installed are the two
video cards. I reactivated the motherboard sound system.

I still get the same crashes described above - i.e. video corruption
followed by black screen and complete hardware lock, even with nothing
but the two eVGA 6800GT cards installed.

So far, I am very unhappy with this system. I feel like I "gold
plated" all of my hardware, and tried to buy the best components
available, so it's not like I skimped and went with a marginal power
supply, case cooling, etc.

I'm not sure what to try from here.

I've been using BIOS version 1002, and the release Nvidia drivers.
Since going back to the baseline configuration has not helped, I'm not
sure what to try next.

My only next options a
1) Remove the second 6800GT and go back from SLI. I hate the idea of
doing this, for obvious reasons (i.e. the expense of this system just to
get SLI).
2) Start trying the Asus BETA BIOS versions.
3) Try the latest Nvidia BETA drivers.

I'm never a fan of BETA drivers and BIOS, but I'm getting desparate....
Old January 10th 05, 09:08 AM
Nom

fsda wrote:
[...]

Assuming you've already run MemTest overnight, to eliminate your RAM, and
Prime95 overnight to check CPU/RAM stability, then the instability can only
really be caused by your video card(s).
I'd swap out the 6800s and run a PCI video card for a few days to be sure.
I'd also remove two of the Memory sticks, just to eliminate the
too-many-sticks-at-too-higher-speed problem that seems to plague most modern
chipsets.

P4C800-E Deluxe - CPU Fan Speed Conrol? Eli Asus Motherboards 5 August 26th 04 02:15 AM
Question upgrading from P4T-E motherboard to P4P800-E Deluxe Chris Alexander Asus Motherboards 6 August 20th 04 10:35 PM
ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard blazer2004 Asus Motherboards 1 August 19th 04 09:32 PM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard - SATA RAID - How many hard drives Thomas Frayne Homebuilt PC's 0 November 26th 03 05:15 PM